sweat management -anything under the helmet?

Joe86
Joe86 Posts: 180
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
A bit of a different and odd topic :oops: but I'm a heavy sweater and since I have had the bike I have had a few problems with this. Even in 5 degree temp I will often come home soaked in sweat, and I'm only in a short sleeved tshirt.

Firstly, I find it tough to wipe the sweat off my brow, or forehead, as it would get my gloves slippery. Secondly, because I'm not wearing long sleeves I can't wipe my sweat away and its resulting in the saline portion making me have to blink and often close my eyes to relieve the irritation. You can imagine sometimes it is a bit dangerous and something I want to try and stop. When I'm out running it isn't much of a problem as I'm not in control of a bike! I also get some dripping down all over the handlebars, chain, etc :lol: :oops:

I'm wearing a helmet 2010 Specialized Echelon, and I have wondered if there is a way of maybe wearing a head-sweatband or something underneath to prevent it from dripping down so much. I also plan to buy a few sweatbands for my wrists. So hoping for a bit of advice, please.

Or I'm open to suggestions on how to manage this?

Cheers

Joe

Comments

• I wear a Bandana, works for me :)
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    I wear a Bandana, works for me :)

Hah, Pantani in disguise :wink:

I will have to try that one, shouldn't cost much at all :)

Cheers
  • Also vaseline above the eyebrows, although this does make a mess in my specs.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I wore my aldi cycle cap underneath the helm on yesterdays ride as it was nippy early morning. It soaked up alot of sweat normall drenches the helmets sponge spacer thingies..
  • Joe86

:wink:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    The Post Office do a skull cap, blue, with darker blue ear bits. This works for me, and doesn't make your head too hot. Stops me bald bits freezing, toasty ears and no sweat!
  • FatLarry wrote:

Spot on FatLarry,so many people wear these here in Spain(ok they are made here)
    for summer and winter.
    Soaks the sweat up and stops you (if you have not so much hair) getting a alien looking tan through the holes of your helmet.
    Myprotein referral code mp288135 (get money off)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    i just wear a cap under the helmet
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I wear a thin skull cap under my helmet all year round. Keeps my head warm in winter (with the addition of a buff when it's really cold) and stops sweat running down my face in summer.

I tend to get a headache if my head gets cold so that is my primary reason for wearing it.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Halo sweatbands - comfortable and last for years - just rinse whenyou shower.
    http://store.haloheadband.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    ArroyoDave wrote:
    FatLarry wrote:

Spot on FatLarry,so many people wear these here in Spain(ok they are made here)
    for summer and winter.
    Soaks the sweat up and stops you (if you have not so much hair) getting a alien looking tan through the holes of your helmet.

agree, you just have to get it off quick before your mates laugh :)
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    ArroyoDave wrote:
    and stops you (if you have not so much hair) getting a alien looking tan through the holes of your helmet.
    Just to digress, I got an alien tan this summer (still there) along my chin, just above the helmet strap - in fact you could quite clearly see the V of the helmet strap around the ears! I didn't notice for a while until a colleague at work suggested I'd put makeup on and hadn't blended it in right along the chin line :oops: . I was mortified, and it definately looks like that, so had to explain that it was nothing of the sort - just an occupational hazard of cycling in the blazing hot Scottish sun :lol: . Plan to always use sun lotion next summer :D . Meanwhile everyone will be thinking that I haven't learned to use make up at age 43 :oops: .
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    LOL amcd.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    CCotton cycling cap in the summer (keeps the bugs off the head as well, my helmet has no mesh) & skullcap in winter
    My knees hurt !
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I have both a sweatband and a bandana. They work a treat and make summer rides much nicer without having to worry about the sweat dripping down.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Joe86 wrote:
    I'm wearing a helmet 2010 Specialized Echelon, and I have wondered if there is a way of maybe wearing a head-sweatband or something underneath to prevent it from dripping down so much.
    I don’t know how the Echelon rates for ventilation compared to other available helmets nowadays, but in the past moderately-priced Specialized helmets (which the Echelon is) were only average for ventilation, so not the best choice for those whose heads got easily very hot or dripping wet.

If you decide on a cap, choose functional material which dissipates moisture to the air, so not cotton. And be aware that if you introduce a cap underneath, it could make more heat build-up either from itself (as an extra warming layer) or if it interferes with ventilation flow through the helmet (from the front vents to the rear vents). Some helmet makers plan on through-flow when they design helmets, so anything under the helmet which blocks this flow, defeats their design.

Maybe you’re over-dressed when cycling, or need to have a haircut, so the head isn’t so insulated? It's not without reason that many profis have very short hair.