Women's RR "Spoiler"

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
edited September 2009 in Pro race
It's wet. The climbs are already splitting the bunch.
Cooke looks cooked on the first lap!
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's wet. The climbs are already splitting the bunch.
    Cooke looks cooked on the first lap!

Doesn't Cooke always look knackered though?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • It's not the race to be bluffing at the back though.

Weather's like a repeat of Beijing.
  • Kristen Armstrong's final pro race today, btw.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    i just told my wife the mens RR is on TV tomorrow 9am-4.30pm and she threatened divorce!
  • Cooke had been talking down any chance of a decent performance to the press. Lost all form after getting a virus couple of months back, and pulled out of her only stage race since.

The course and conditions would ordinarily suit her, and she knows the roads really well as she lives just a few miles away in Lugano.
  • TV just saying that Nic went down in a crash with one of the Austrian riders hence going out the back. Nikki Harris also crashed heavily and I think has packed.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    its a hell of a bluff if she is bluffing. i think our hopes are on Pooley
  • Ouch! The Americans blow it to bits. Pooley and Laws on the front, Lizzie A hanging and Cookie crumbles. :(
    This course is a killer!
  • Sorry to detract from the women but this course seem staylor made for Sammy Sanchez, no?

In other news, there's a Russian girl not enjoying the corners on this descent
  • I wish I'd picked Pooley for PTP, she looks very good today. Come on Emma!!!!
  • Sorry to detract from the women but this course seem staylor made for Sammy Sanchez, no?

Looks a tough old course doesn't it? 19 laps worth as well.
  • Neben has dropped out which I think is a surprise. Emma Johansson having to chase back on after mechanical. Cooke now retired was 5 minutes down.
  • It's this beaut of a course. Those climbs are both really tough and the decent from the first has 3 or 4 very technical turns.
    Exciting stuff.
    I'm now watching on chase play, as going out. Looking forward to catching up and the U23's this pm, although, it looks like RAITRE is the only option.

Don't think the men will wait for the usual last 2 laps, either. You can blow any race apart, before half way, if you so desire.
  • Vos being silent but deadly throughout.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Great finish there with a cracking attack on the climb...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    entertaining race..what i saw of it last hour and a bit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I wish I'd picked Pooley for PTP, she looks very good today. Come on Emma!!!!

I did, In the hope that Team GB would give her some support for a change. Fat Chance.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Brave ride by Pooley but she never seemed to have the acceleration to put anyone in trouble on the climbs. Bit reminiscent of Cadel Evans - very good climber at a steady pace but no jump to get a gap. If anything she looked to have it in too small a gear to really change pace on the climbs - very hard to just ride your opponents off your wheel on the kind of climb.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pooley, for a smart lass, rode like the plonker of the peloton.
    All that donkeying left no mountain goat/greyhound legs.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Pooley, for a smart lass, rode like the plonker of the peloton.
    You're obviously very clever. How should she have ridden it, bearing in mind that escaping that very strong lead group with no team-mates in the final couple of laps was hardly likely to be an option?

Ruth
  • She should have hid a bit more and just put one hard blistering attack in - as Cooke usually does.

The times I've seen Pooley ride she does tend to 'just up the pace' on the climbs but doesn't seem to inflict a killer blow. But then again I haven't seen all her other great rides this year - and bearing in mind she didn't do as well in the TT as expected, perhaps she's a bit off colour?

Lizzie Armistead looks a good prospect for the future
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Pooley, for a smart lass, rode like the plonker of the peloton.
    You're obviously very clever. How should she have ridden it, bearing in mind that escaping that very strong lead group with no team-mates in the final couple of laps was hardly likely to be an option?

Ruth
    In short, the way Vos did. Very smart use of her team.

The last couple of laps panned out this way, because of the way the team rode the first 7 laps. Too hard, too soon.
    Result? Struggled on the final 3 ascents, when only the strong survive.
    She rode like Cooke's domestique, i.e. just the same race tactics at last year, not a potential winner.

As Chip says, upping the pace from the front = wrong.
    Hard, late attacks from the back of small group = right.

Of course, all this assumes that Emma is comfy, riding in this way AND as undisputed team leader and I'm not sure that is the case.
  • It's difficult isn't it because if you don't have a jump what do you do. Ultimately she didn't have the jump to escape or the length of climb just to ride people off her wheel - and she couldn't descend well enough to make any groups that developed that way either - she looks more like a stage racer than a one day rider to me.

• BeaconRuth
    It's difficult isn't it because if you don't have a jump what do you do. Ultimately she didn't have the jump to escape or the length of climb just to ride people off her wheel - and she couldn't descend well enough to make any groups that developed that way either - she looks more like a stage racer than a one day rider to me.
    Despite the fact she's won two World Cup (i.e. one-day) events this year? :lol:

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    But then again I haven't seen all her other great rides this year - and bearing in mind she didn't do as well in the TT as expected, perhaps she's a bit off colour?
    Hmm. 11th in the Worlds TT and 14th in the Worlds RR and someone kindly suggests you might be "off-colour".

If any of our male cyclists achieved 11th in the Worlds TT and then spent the whole of the Worlds RR looking extremely comfortable and riding strongly, always in the leading group, would anyone suggest that they had been having a bad week?

After Cooke had dropped out the only way GB were likely to end up with a rider on the podium was if there were at least 2 of them in the final selection. There wasn't. Maybe they could have ridden a bit more conservatively earlier on, but the dominant GB rider earlier on was Pooley and she WAS still there until Italy played the 1-2 and Vos powered away as only she can................. I hardly feel Pooley deserves derisory comments or suggestions that she might not be well.

Ruth
  • Well I can only judge her on what I see - which is basically what is shown on TV which isn't much. I know she has won one day races but haven't seen how they panned out. From what I've seen she looks more like a stage racer - if she actually has more of a jump than she showed today then maybe her tactics did cost her - because she certainly didn't show it. Maybe that is the case because everyone in the Eurosport studio and commentary team said she got her tactics wrong - the commentators were saying as much about half way through the race.

edit - looked them up and she won both her world cup races in long solo breakaways - which isn't in itself a bad thing but it does kind of back up what I said about her not being suited to one day races.

• jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    My god what a race. Was Emma Pooley still riding thinking that Nicole Cooke was still there?
    I left to cut the grass before the finish.
    I watched a few days ago; Nicole Cooke winning the Road Race Title a year ago and it was a master class in to blagging your way to the finsh without ever seeing the front until she crossed the line.
    Valverde is fantastic at getting to the finish line without doing any work and then sticking it to them with his pace.
    EMMA POOLEY!! "Sack, Cloth and Ashes!!" She rode like a beginner!
    I saw her drag the bunch up to the break who was a Danish rider and then drop through the pack to almost get caught out in a break. Next lap drags the bunch up the hill to then fall back to about 8th or 9th where the split occurs leaving her stranded with the group behind. I think she later tries to drag more riders up to the break but fails and then gets caught out with a split in her group to end up in the 3rd group on the road. She dutilfully drags the 3rd group on the flat (where her talents are not so great) and that is when I left to cut the grass.
    Anyone knows that if you are on your own, you hide in the bunch and try to get in the right break. Never do any work unless you are putting in your big attack. If you are like a diesel then drop back to accelerate until you are hitting full speed by the time you get out of the group. Pooley tried to accelerate with a diesel engine from the front.
    I think that was the worst race i have seen by a Pro. The Italians made mincemeat (or a nice bolognese) of her.
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • everyone in the Eurosport studio and commentary team said she got her tactics wrong - the commentators were saying as much about half way through the race.

the commentators also said, over and over and over again, as Vos led the chase in the last 3k that she was definitely riding herself out of a medal and being tactically naive. (I didn't hear any apologies when she won the sprint for silver...).
  • I think Jerry just upped the ante, in terms of derisory comments!

The American squad had a game plan and were prepared to execute it, well.
    It suited the UK team, so the could have and should have, left them to it.

Of course, who's to say that the US/UK hadn't agreed to "boss" the peloton, between them?

In which case, the UK got the shaft end again, from the US!

The world is all about who is strong at the end.
    It always comes down to the final two laps, as will be the case, tomorrow.
    Not the time to run out of gas, having first burned it up, rather unnecessarily.
  • BeaconRuth
    Well I can only judge her on what I see - which is basically what is shown on TV which isn't much. I know she has won one day races but haven't seen how they panned out. From what I've seen she looks more like a stage racer - if she actually has more of a jump than she showed today then maybe her tactics did cost her - because she certainly didn't show it. Maybe that is the case because everyone in the Eurosport studio and commentary team said she got her tactics wrong - the commentators were saying as much about half way through the race.

edit - looked them up and she won both her world cup races in long solo breakaways - which isn't in itself a bad thing but it does kind of back up what I said about her not being suited to one day races.
    She did win them both in long solo breakaways - but I think someone who came 5th in the World Cup Series this year doesn't really deserve to be labelled as 'not suited to one-day races'. Just my view.

Ruth