Recovery Time

rogerthecat
rogerthecat Posts: 669
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
The only stupid question is the one that is not asked, however here goes.

I have a 30 m race on 02/10/09, and was considering doing the Essex sportive this Sunday 95m, do you think there will be enough recovery time from Monday to Thursday?

I am aged 41, cycle 500 miles a month, and have been since April this year, my current weight is 14 st 7 lbs and 6" 2'

:roll:

Thanks

Comments

• Personally i would say yes just as long as you have a good routine for your recovery. I have tried doing a few things but i have mine down to

1) REGO straight away as i get in from ride
    2) Shower
    3) Compression clothing
    4) 45 mins to an hours rest (sleep)
    5) Then a good meal with carbs and a good source of protein
    6) Then somemore rest

If it has been a hard ride hill climbs or something i will have a recovery ride the next day something nice and flat. (Thats my own personal view and the things i mentioned work well for me but everyone is built different.)
  • On a similar point, I use Rego drinks after a sportive or a long club run, but don't really bother with anything after midweek endurance sessions of up to 2 hours. Should I be using recovery products after all training rides (or eating lots of tuna!)
  • Tuna every day for this callsign. :D
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Chrisw1980 wrote:
    1) REGO straight away as i get in from ride
    2) Shower
    3) Compression clothing
    4) 45 mins to an hours rest (sleep)
    5) Then a good meal with carbs and a good source of protein
    6) Then somemore rest
    This is suitable for a serious stage race :wink:

rogerthecat
    , If you're just doing beginners races, sportives and fun rides, you should find that a gentle ride in between both events will be fine, don't do anything too different. Remember, your legs can feel sore when you walk down stairs the next day but after 10 minutes on the bike, they'll be fine.
  • Guys thanks very much for your input.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I would add, make sure you eat and drink enough *during* the 95 miler.

I did a 110 miler a few weekends ago and had a 3 hour drive to do afer it. I took in about 500 g of carbs during the ride and drank plenty of water. I didn't feel very tired after the ride and was able to drive without feeling the slightest bit tired.

In contrast I can go out for 40-50 milers and eat very little. I will manage to finish the ride but feel completely shot for the rest of the day.

Go for at least 70-80 g of carbs per hour (presuming you are used to this kind o fintake while riding?) and take on enough water too.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL

I plan to drink 1ltr of Reflex (the Edge) en route and carry 1lt water and a further 1lt Reflex during, not sure if I will drink all that fluid but I would rather have it and not use it, rather than need it and not have it, also looking at taking 4 Torq gels, (justin) and 4 Eat Natural bars, with some fig rolls and malt loaf for post ride and a bottle of SIS Regen.

Sound more like a bloody picknick than a 150km ride, anyway the last time I covered this distance (120m) it was on a club ride ave spd was 19mph, I was on my chin strap for the rest of the day. Refuse to Bonk (being a military chap n all), although on that occasion I only had 3 fig rolls and two btls of water, it was a good job we had a Cake stop half way.

This being my first Sportive I am quite excited and a tad apprehensive not knowing what standard to expect, or what pace to set myself. I guess I will find out :?