Books

mickedwards61
mickedwards61 Posts: 175
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
I have recently taken up Mountain Biking, been out a few times and really enjoying myself so far! Only trouble is, if something went wrong with my bike, I wouldn't have a clue on how to fix it, and I would like to be able to know how to, or at least have an idea of what is actaully wrong with it!

I thought investing in a book of some description would be a good move, kind of like a Haynes manual but for bikes with clear instructions would be ideal for me. Does anyone have any recommendations, or should I save my money and use online guides?

Comments

• 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    how about this haynes manual

or alternatively total bike repair and maintenance
    Fancy a brew?
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    i have the haynes bike manual which is pretty decent. otherwise parktools website is really good with clear pics and instructions.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    +1 for the Haynes manual. I got it because of the clear diagrams - I found the park tools books a bit too "wordy" for me. Pictures are easier to show what is going on.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sheldon Browns and Parktools web pages.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for your advice, the books look like they could be ideal for a novice like me!

Cheers
  • The only problem I find with books is that technology with moving so quickly at the moment, if can be difficult to find one that's completely up to date, or at least if it is, it won't be for long.

Ok, so the basics don't change, but there seems to be a new 'standard' every year and whilst the principles might be the same, it makes life a lot easier if the part you're trying to fix looks the same as in in the book!

One other option, for specific repairs, is to find the instructions for that component on the web... Shimano and SRAM are pretty good at keeping the fitting manuals on line and they'll give you more accurate data (torque settings, max settings etc etc) than a book will.