wirralguy
wirralguy Posts: 29
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hi i have lurked for some weeks on this forum it has some good info for a learner cyclist so i have just joined .
old age is a state of mind

Comments

• kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Welcome Wirralguy,

I'm a noob too and have got some great info from the archives and stickies, just gotta get out and ride more. You just starting out like me or coming back to cycling? I'm hoping to do a charity event next year so gotta get bike fit!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Hi Kev i have had a mountian bike for years but only used it to plod to the shops ,never had a bike as good as this racer i feel like Meerx every time i get out .
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    wirralguy wrote:
    i feel like Meerx every time i get out .
    That's just what it's all about! Hold that feeling tight.

Anyway, compare the Merckx hats!
    3947158023_fef5e1a377_o.jpg

3947938296_8117e2e1e7_o.jpg
  • bompington
    LOL
  • kfinlay
    I was the same, had a decent GT mountain bike worth nearly £1k and used for the shops every now and then, now got a road bike so plan on keeping it for dry days and the GT for wet days (and possible commute).
    I was really into my cycling when young over 25 years ago and have kept a tab on the TDF each year so vaguely remember storie of Merckx, and Hinault, the emergence of americans such as Lemond then along came big Miguiel Indurain, didn't keep up much in late 90s early 2000s but followed the action a lot more this year. Now having got back into some decent shape (for a 40 something) I'm enjoying being back cycling properly.
    I've been on Google maps etc to plan routes for me to build on having only done a 9 mile loop 3 times in the last week, will do it again tomorrow then approx 15 miles on Saturday and see how I feel from there - no point in planning too far just now.
    How about you?
    Kev

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...so I'm not the only 40 something to sling his leg back over a saddle after some 20 years of neglect and reminiscence?
    ...surely a Harley would have been easier? *sighs* :roll:
    Cycling weakly
  • I am 52 smoke eat the wrong foods although i am slim ,ten stone it will catch up with me if i do nothing hence the return to cycling .My last racer was a Dawes ,got it for my twelth birthday red three speed . mabye a harley would be easier but not as healthy.
  • kfinlay
    skyd0g - yep I'm 42 but have for the last year led a very healthy lifestyle as don't want to end up like my old man who rattles as he has to have so many pills each day and has never look after himself so struggles to have a decent quality of life. Good on you wirralguy for making the effort - I'm 42, 5'9" and was 16 stone last year with a 38" waist - now 12 stone 5lb, 31" waist, sixpack and pretty fit from weight training and cross training but still bald and specky though :lol:

As for the Harley, okay but prefer sports bikes although the wife won't let me go near one so have to stick with cars and hope to get a Lotus Elise some day (need to win the lottery or something as no chance on my salary!)
    Kev

• skyd0g wrote:
    ...so I'm not the only 40 something to sling his leg back over a saddle after some 20 years of neglect and reminiscence?
    ...surely a Harley would have been easier? *sighs* :roll:
    lol , your lucky i have just turn 50 , and have just bin cycling for 5 months.
    What do you meen you did not see me.
    I,m the pillock in the Hi vis top.
  • Oh, good, this is where the oldies are all hiding! 55, one functioning kidney, hilariously hypertensive,borderline alcoholic, (recently)unemployed, smoker, which may be why weight's never been an issue for me, 1466 miles since April, embarrassingly slow but my computer says that I did 35 mph this afternoon, which is strange because I haven't been anywhere near a proper hill today. I don't even remember going fast - it must be my memory going
  • kfinlay
    I'm going a whole 16 miles tomorrow !! It's only my 5 ride though and does involved a couple of what I think are decent hills around 1 mile long. This is hopefully the start of building on my mileage to a respectable level.

deptfordmarmoset you seem to be doing great, hope something turns up on the job front soon too :)
    Kev

• Cheers kfinlay, and I hope the high pressure system currently over S England reaches Fife in time to kill those accursed headwinds. Otherwise head west and let the wind blow you home!
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Congrats to you all. I'm 38 and do 20 miles 2 or 3 times a week if work allows. Get slightly concerned that there are some that are too hardcore for me on here, but oh well. Just signed up to do the Dartmoor Classic in June next year - 100 hilly miles is something to aim for!! Most importantly - I love it and can't wait to go out the next time, just need some more money to get an upgrade from my Ridgeback hybrid.....
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Nice to see some many guys over the 40s. I am 47, did no cycle since I have left France (1988). This year decided to do a triathlon, missed the one i wanted to do because i did not have my bike ready. Got a Trek 470 on Ebay, it is not new but i love it. May invest in a "better" bike next year if finance adviser let me (aka the wife). Anyway have been going out for 3 weeks now (twice a week), this morning just done a 40 miles loop in 2hr 23, quite hilly (well everything seems hilly to me). I feel on the top of the world right now physically. i am dreading to not be able to go out so much during the winter but will take every opportunity to do so. Good luck to all and lets keep going.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Hi its great to hear anythink these days lol even better to hear from so many people who enjoy cycling for fun ,fitness but more importantly enjoyment seeing the wheels turn miles pass bye i wont go on anymore good luck keep cycling