which bike?

FTLConnors
FTLConnors Posts: 6
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
I bought a Specialized Crosstrail Sport in April. It was the first bike I've owned in about 25 years.

I'm doing a lot more cycling than I thought I would (mainly commuting to work - 30 mile round trip) and am going to trade up for a lighter, faster hybrid (I don't fancy an out and out road bike).

I've narrowed it down to the Trek 7.5FX or the Marin Lucas Valley. They both seem as light as each other. The Marin seems more comfortable over the bumps but the Trek seems zippier.

The Marin is more expensive (so presumably has better components) but I can get a 2009 model for not much more than the Trek.

What do people think?

Comments

• We all think you should try a road bike, we're just too polite to say. Surely if you've had one hybrid it's time. :twisted:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If you're commuting 30 miles on road you really, really want a road bike. Get a nicely upright one, with flat bars if you must, and 25mm tyres, but don't get a hybrid. All it'll do is slow you down and tire you out that much quicker.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It is very hard to get excited about another hybrid, a little bit of weight saving won't make loads of difference (it has most effect on accelerating and hills, rather than top speed on the flat). Both of your proposed bikes are better because they don't have a suspension fork though, but why not go the whole hog, as undercover says, and get a road bike (Trek 1.2?) or perhaps a Specialized Tricross? I think you will have more fun.
  • alfablue wrote:
    It is very hard to get excited about another hybrid, a little bit of weight saving won't make loads of difference (it has most effect on accelerating and hills, rather than top speed on the flat). Both of your proposed bikes are better because they don't have a suspension fork though, but why not go the whole hog, as undercover says, and get a road bike (Trek 1.2?) or perhaps a Specialized Tricross? I think you will have more fun.

Yes, get the Tricross, and join us on the Dark Side, you will never regret it.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393

Yes, get the Tricross, and join us on the Dark Side, you will never regret it.....

Don't get a tricross, all your fillings will fall out ..... fecking front fork shudder :evil:

trek75fx.jpg

marinlucasvalley.jpg

Trek looks nicer ... I've got the 7.3 , they are fast :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png