Do you know how much protein is in your diet?

Escargot
Escargot Posts: 361
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Many of us use supplements to assist with our training plans but I'm interested to know how many people here take protein and how many actually work out how much is in their diet in the first place.

It seems logical to me that you need to work this out first (as well as how much is required) before spending money on expensive supplements but I know of so many people that don't have a clue yet happily spend their money on Maximuscle products (something I've done in the past before giving myself a talking to).

For sure supplements have their place but are most of us just wasing our hard earned ?

Comments

• where is the yes i know, but i don't require any extra protein in my diet?
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    I tend to watch what I eat on a day to day basis anyway, as I'm in the gym twice a day as well as being on the bike during the week. My daily protein varies from 150-180g per day. Depending on what I eat during the day, I may need to top up with a supplement, but try to get the bulk of it from natural sources (lean red meat, chicken, salmon, mackeral etc). However, I run every morning, as well as resistance training every lunchtime, so I make sure the protein is there.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    1.6-1.8 g/kg body weight per day, usually. A bit on the high side but I'm trying to cut carbs down from 3-3.3 g/kg to 2-2.5. Just trying something :-)

I would also tick the "Yes, and I don't need any supplements" box. Unless you call low-fat mozzarella a supplement. :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Yeah, sorry chaps. Meant for option 3 to be the "yes, and I don't need any supplements" but it came out wrong :oops:

Good stuff TonyW43. Looks like you've got a full on training schedule and eat pretty well too. I think it's proof positive that many of us probably don't need as much additional protein as the manufacturers think we should take e.g. 90 grammes per day for Maximuscle Promax :shock:

@DaveyL. That clearly depends on how much mozzarella you're consuming :wink:
  • where is the yes i know, but i don't require any extra protein in my diet?
    My thoughts too
  • Yes I do know and if I eat as recommend by many (less 1g/kg body weight) I don't feel as good as when I eat 1.5g /kg with an equivalent reduction in calories from fats and carbs. Eating 1.5 without eating too many calories is slightly tricky if I don't use a supplement. But I only increase my protein intake when I do weight training during teh winter or when doing a sudden lot of extra miles. I do think I eat too many carbs .. each to their own!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I would also like to register for the "yes I know and I don't use any supplements" box

I weigh over 80kg and I get about 70g of protein a day