Gonna get me one of these babies...

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited September 2009 in The bottom bracket
You see Phoenix bikes everywhere in HK. The "heavy duty" ones have a double top tube and weigh about as much as I do. They appear to last for at least 300 years.

However, Phoenix seem to be branching out into road bikes, so what do you think of this monster?

http://www.phoenix-bicycle.com/phoenixi ... asp?id=128

I'll let you know how it handles..... :)
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Looks abit cheapo.
  • careful you dont get strangled by all those stray cables!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Loving the cottered cranks and shorty 'race' mudguards.
    That curved downtube, is it hydroformed using the latest frame production techniques for which the Far East is famous for?
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • pottssteve
    It's hand made by people who used to be Communists...

Mind you, some of their "heavy duty models" look really cool, and they only cost about 40 quid for a steel framed single speed, so I might invest.

How about this?

http://www.phoenix-bicycle.com/phoenixi ... asp?id=103

You get a bell and a pump, mudguards and a rack all included! Top value. Swap the bars for some racers, take off the 8kgs of extra metal and away you go!

It weighs about 20kg, so I'll have thighs of steel in a matter of weeks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Love the bikes, that first one looks like a re-cycled Sputnik.

The "Light road Racer" weighing in at 82 KG looks like an ex Viet Cong company car.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Bikes cannot weigh 82kg.

But just for information, how heavy are you lot over there?
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pedylan wrote:
    Bikes cannot weigh 82kg.

But just for information, how heavy are you lot over there?

How about 184kg then :shock:

http://www.phoenix-bicycle.com/phoenixi ... asp?id=110
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ...lets just say..that Phoenix aint rising from the ashes...
  • Hmmm, alu(?) forks with no rake and the skinniest cranks I've ever seen.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Rolf F wrote:
    It looks like the net weight is 140kg for 6 bikes so about 23kg each. I take it they don't do a carbon frame version?
  • pottssteve
    bompington,
    Well spotted! The weights quoted are for shipping in crates of 4 or 6, I think, depending on the model. The weight quoted on their website is 21kgs for the "light tourer" :shock: There is no carbon option, as far as I am aware, though I'd love to see one.

I may be wrong but I think the whole thing is made of steel. I've been wandering around the neighbourhood looking for them chained to railings and quickly lifting them off the ground to get an idea of the weight - nearly put my back out. However, I'm making enquiries as to where I can get one locally. I reckon without all the extra sh!t it might make a decent single speed.

Could anyone with more mechanical experience give me advice about whether it should be able to take drop handle bars, please? I thought about getting some cheap aluminium ones - does the geometry look OK?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,878
    group buy :)
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    That looks sweet.

Only problem is that I'll need to reinforce the wall before I hang one in the garage (or maybe just buy a crane).
  • pottssteve
    They do look cool. If you look closely you'll see they have the word "Phoenix" cut out of the chainring. 8)

Another Chinese make is Flying Pigeon - they have a cult following in New York. There's also Forever, so named as it took your average Chinese worker that long to get it and then pay for it...
  • pottssteve
    I think I've found a retailer! Coming home on the bus I went past a bike shop that had something that looked heavy and Communist sitting in the window. I plan to go back soon.

If anyone wants me to send one to the UK, the bike will be about 40 quid and the air freight another 900. :lol: