Bit of a long shot....

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
edited September 2009 in The bottom bracket
....but if anyone can help me it's you guys.

I'm looking to adorn the beautiful walls of my humble student abode with a couple of posters. I was thinking something along the lines of a Toulouse-Lautrec, but I already have le chat noir so I wanna get oen by a similar artist.

Unfortunately for me, I chose the lecture where we learned about French artists to have the world's worst hangover, so not a lot sunk in, and I just remember Gauguin and Cezanne, who are a bit too different.

To make it easier for you, what I have in mind is similar to the poster Monica has above her TV in Friends, but I've looked round online and could only find one for a bout de souffle, which I already have in English!

Any suggestions will be considered, looking to spend about a fiver on each.

Now, away young steeds! Cheers

Comments

• Something about posters mate. Must be naked ladies he's after :D
  • Have you seen taht one with the two nubile young lovlies in nought but calvin klein pants having a snog on a bed?

That's what goes on student house walls.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Fair dos lol.

Been through the naked ladies stage, I had the Pink Floyd one, and one of Elisha Cuthbert :)

Now I wanna go through a French artists stage. Just for info this is le chat noir

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/chat-noir-l1.jpg
  • Fair dos lol.

Been through the naked ladies stage, I had the Pink Floyd one, and one of Elisha Cuthbert :)

Now I wanna go through a French artists stage. Just for info this is le chat noir

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/chat-noir-l1.jpg

What's this girls name then? :lol:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Nick some from your local Caf­­e Rouge.
  • Peut-être quelque chose comme ça.

ciclista-a-cataluna-man-on-bike.jpg
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • That's a good plan, they always have them knocking around.

It's not in aid of a girl, I really am just THAT weird disgruntledgoat!
  • So, the GF won't come round till you've replaced those girlie posters, eh? Google ''French posters'' and look under images, you're bound to find something that tickles her fancy.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I think looking for French artists of the modern movement is going to send you off in the wrong direction.

Lautrec was a contemporary of the likes of Van Gough and Mattise, and many of his paintings were quite serious, like his portrait of Van Gogh etc, but he also was commisioned to do posters for the Moulin Rouge and other clubs of Paris, which tend to be the ones most popular on posters.

Signac and Seurat painted in a style called pointilism, which produced some quite interesting images like Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, that may be what your after.

Also look at Pissaro, Manet and Rosseau.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    get some kelly brook posters mate, then when hot ladies come round they won't think you are on the other bus due to "arty" posters. They will then see you are a red blooded man and they will be putty in your hands. Or Star Wars? :D:D:D:wink:
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Or do what dmclite said - probably a better option to be honest!
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • The female tennis player scratching her arse. Quality art that is!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Have a look for A M Cassandre posters

A French design genius
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Look, you're a student for god's sake. It's either Che Guevara or that tennis bird showing off a buttock.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Anonymous
    One of a big ship or something with some dolphins jumping up out of the water at it's bow.

Or some wolves howling at a full moon like my favourite T-Shirt

51ANCwQnIjL._AA280_.jpg

Read the reviews, it's a sure fire winner.

Wolves and moon

Or a 20 Inch Box Canvas (51cm) PAUL ROSS by MirrorPrintStore. Even better reviews!

51CgX1Y0whL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Paul Ross picture - read the reviews!
  • Try this place for some inspiration.....

http://www.allposters.co.uk/-st/Maitres ... 93902_.htm
  • Paul Ross picture - read the reviews![/quote]

Fifty quid from Amazon!!!! Jeepers!
  • Anonymous
    But have you seen the reviews? Seems well worth it!
  • So, the GF won't come round till you've replaced those girlie posters, eh? Google ''French posters'' and look under images, you're bound to find something that tickles her fancy.

Honestly, if I had someone's fancy to tickle, I wouldn't be worried about this kind of thing, I'd be worried about it dropping off from overuse

Cheers for the links, I looked at that all posters site but it just seems a bit pricey tbh, like I said I'm a student lol!
  • Anonymous
    Every week when I was at uni we had a poster seller set up shop in the student's union. Do you not have such a thing where the pretentious can gather and show off their purchases?

I had the album covers of Ritual de lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction and Black Sunday by Cypress Hill on my wall.

Popular lady-student ones were Klimt and Monet or 1920s shots of Paris like the steps at Montmartre etc.

The boys tended to stick with bands.
  • There was one on Wednesday but I missed it, more important things to do, like go and get ready to go out drinking :)

Been looking at Jules Cheret, who did the "Aux Buttes Chaumont" one from Friends and there's some decent ones by him so....

I like the "nord express" one by Cassandre, but can't seem to find the right size. I feel this is a work in progress..
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Every week when I was at uni we had a poster seller set up shop in the student's union. Do you not have such a thing where the pretentious can gather and show off their purchases?

I had the album covers of Ritual de lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction and Black Sunday by Cypress Hill on my wall.

Popular lady-student ones were Klimt and Monet or 1920s shots of Paris like the steps at Montmartre etc.

The boys tended to stick with bands.

I love both those albums. I had the Velvet undergroud "banana" andy warhol poster and the Smiths hatful of Hollow in my bunk when in the Army, everyone thought I was "Special" .

Why not go Retro and have some Hoff posters in full Baywatch flight?
  • Anonymous
    Or just forget about posters and spend the money on booze and dungarees, thats what students do ?

And eat cheaply.

Maybe get some tester pots from B&Q and do your own art, individual and eclectic, the chicks will flip for you.....oh yeh. :wink:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think you may like some of Manet's cafe scenes, or maybe Bernard, or Gauguin.
  • I had a clash poster, aforementioned lesbians poster, a rat pack poster and a fausto coppi poster hemhem.

I wouldn't take my advice though, I had a rubbish tine at uni and only learned about girls afterwards

@gietvangent
  • How about this

http://www.dressdownmoms.com/uploaded_i ... 777192.jpg

Very nice and classy too......
  • D@VE
    D@VE Posts: 73
    You could always make your own check out http://www.blockposters.com/
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    NapoleonD wrote:
    One of a big ship or something with some dolphins jumping up out of the water at it's bow.

Or some wolves howling at a full moon like my favourite T-Shirt

51ANCwQnIjL._AA280_.jpg

Read the reviews, it's a sure fire winner.

Wolves and moon

I like the 1* reviews:
    I am very disappointed and borderline furious with this item. After reading all the reviews, I was expecting miraculous wolf-like powers. I have worn the T-shirt many times and have yet to exhibit any skill at bounding through the woods or sniffing. My growling abilities still suck too. I had taken time off work for a camping trip with my wife, Claire, which we'll have to cancel now. What's the point of going when my sole goal was to run with my lupine brothers. As a test run I tried to introduce myself to a doberman and -- well let's just say that could have gone better.

As an interesting side-bar, when I wear this T-shirt I do have the ability to fly through the air which leads me to believe there may have been a mistake at the warehouse. I'm guessing that there is some poor soul out there with a "three eagles and the sun" T-shirt who is equally as dissatisfied as he howls at the moon and gnaws on freshly killed fawn. I will be exchanging this item soon for a T-shirt that works in the manner I was hoping for.
    The effect that this t-shirt has on women is pretty impressive. Unfortunately its natural healing powers reversed my vasectomy and I impregnated nine women in two weeks before I realized. They all had twin boys. Now I have 18 sons and spend most of my money on child support and condoms.
    Since i first donned this shirt, I have been overwhelmed by a desire to urinate in all the corners of my home. And yesterday, I growled at my mom when she told me to stop licking my privates. Come to think of it, i'm thinking of changing my rating to five stars.