rides in hampshire

angryarabian
angryarabian Posts: 30
edited September 2009 in Routes
have chosen my steed, now all i need is a place to ride, anyone know any rides around the andover salisbury basingstoke area?

Comments

• tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    What sort of ride?

XC wise if you like gently rolling countryside pretty much all the bridleways in Hampshire are rideable (in my experience), the worst thing maybe is that some of them can be rather overgrown. So find a map and make a route! I'm in Southampton so perhaps a bit south of you but since I started riding in May I've made decent routes in the area SW of Salisbury near the River Ebble, the area between Salisbury, Andover, Winchester and Romsey, the area around the start of the South Downs Way (one day next year I'll try all of it...). A bit further but perhaps more interesting are the Purbecks and the Isle of Wight.

No proper hills in this part of the world though :( Thinking about this has me longing for my Northern homeland...
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    Head towards Collingbourne Woods to the West of Andover. The Plain isn't too bad either. Also try Cranbourne Chase between Salisbury and Blandford, lot's of riding around there.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • cheers guys ill give em a try next weekend
  • The South Downs Way is one of my favourites, also worth a look is the Clarendon way - but take a map as the route isn't very well marked in places. There's a nice little drovers trail goes from Salisbury to Shaftesbury, has some nice views. The Itchen & Test ways are nice ~ not challenging mtb terrain but a pleasant bimble along the river with some decent pub stops...