Club's near Leighton Buzzard

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited September 2010 in Amateur race
It's looking likely that I'll be relocating from London in few months to Leighton Buzzard, anyone know any good cycling clubs around that way?
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    You've got the choice of Milton Keynes, Hemel Hempstead or Aylesbury. I think Hemel is quite a good club judging by the size of some of their weekend runs. Or, give me a shout when you move and I'll be happy to give you some good local routes while you suss the clubs out.
    Cheers
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I'm pretty sure that there is (or was) a club called the Bossard Wheelers. No idea if they are still functioning.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    APIII wrote:
    You've got the choice of Milton Keynes, Hemel Hempstead or Aylesbury
    Not to forget Luton :wink:
    www.ccluton.com - road & track racing, club runs, beer - the perfect combination :wink:
    or
    http://www.icknield-roadclub.org.uk/ - more of a time trialling bias

Bossard Wheelers are still in existence after a fashion, but a fairly small membership as far as I know.
  • Thanks all.

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Bit of a trek over from Leighton, but there's Beds Road too - not a lot further out than CC Luton or Icknield :wink:http://www.bedsroad.org/.

I would imagine Hemel are the closest club.

Did you not fancy moving to Hitchin?
  • Cheers Hammerite, we couldn't find much there that we needed ie garden house/flat. We have a big dog so need the space plus there seemed to be more places to walk him than Hitchin. It's that bit further in so travelling is a little quicker. Nice place though, couldn't knock it otherwise.

• Well ignore the above clubs you being welsh :D
    You can join me on rides :D
    I emigrsated to Dunstable from Abertridwr 10 years ago and I ride from Hemel on weekends but our ride is a mixture of riders , some from Hemel, some from Anders, joined by some others from other clubs also and some private.
    There are a couple of guys from LB and close by who come also.
    I ride from Dundtable to meet up in Hemel.
    I almost moved to LB but picked the WEst side of Dunstable, just by the downs and close to countryside for riding.
  • Ah Aber...I worked there up until moving to London 4 years ago. I was going out with a girl from Aber for ages, we even went to Oz together.

Where do you start from oldwelshman?

• hammerite
    Cheers Hammerite, we couldn't find much there that we needed ie garden house/flat. We have a big dog so need the space plus there seemed to be more places to walk him than Hitchin. It's that bit further in so travelling is a little quicker. Nice place though, couldn't knock it otherwise.

I don't know much about Leighton, apart from riding/driving through but I'd imagine from a small town point of view it's pretty similair to Hitchin, with a decent train service. The advantage of Leighton is that, a) you'd be living in Bedfordshire :lol: and b) you are a bit closer to some nice hills.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    hammerite wrote:
    a) you'd be living in Bedfordshire :lol:
    There is an ADVANTAGE to living in Bedfordshire? :shock:
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Bronzie wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

Yeah, surprised me too :lol:
    The train service is good though, so my missus tells me anyway. LB is ok, we both like it, but Hitchin has a better town centre. Not much going on in central Leighton Buzzard :lol:
  • hammerite
    Bronzie wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

No not really, I was trying to spin a positive on the move :lol: To be fair I can't really see that there's much difference between many of the home counties. And lets not forget, Luton's a unitary authority so not really part of the county any more, that's got to be to the county's favour :wink:
  • Ah Aber...I worked there up until moving to London 4 years ago. I was going out with a girl from Aber for ages, we even went to Oz together.

Where do you start from oldwelshman?
    I ride from Dunstable and down leighton buzzard road to meet guys at hemel station for 9:00 so I star off about 8:15.
    If you rode could meet at Dagnall.
    Don't have any idea how fit you are but we always ride out west so could always go home from the cafe stop in Wilstoe.
    I am out sat and sunday this week but track training for couple of weeks after that in newport.
  • Cheers Comrade :wink::D I'm not sure when I'm moving, probably within next few months so when I find out I'll let you know and meet up with you guys.

• drop me a pm, I am often down training in wales.
    I was on velodrome wed, hturs and tonight.
    I sometimes stay and go out on weekend ride.
    I am coming to train on track 3rd, 10th and 24th oct so will bring road bike and ride sunday on road.
  • I grew up in Dunstable but definitely prefer living in Devon now.
  • Hi

Leighton Buzzard has got a couple of clubs nowadays.

try www.lbcycleclub.org.uk
    or
    www.mbrsuk.com

Every Sunday afternoon we have Regular Riders
    Every Thursday evening we have Lumens Loonies

loads more too.

Sam