Mavic Aksium front wheel click

dom2866
dom2866 Posts: 7
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi there,
This is the first time i've posted anything in this forum, so please forgive me if I haven't covered everything.
I have a pair of Mavic Aksium road wheels with flat spokes, when cruising on the flat no sound can be heard, but when riding off saddle up hill the spokes tend to creak as I move from side to side (which is really annoying coz it is pretty loud). Is this just a case of twisted spokes or does something else need doing?

Thanks for any advice.

Dom

Comments

• One more thing:

This problem only happens on the front wheel

Dom
  • Hi Dom

I posted a thread not so long ago about the same problem.

Ive just had the wheels at my LBS today and they checked them over and basically said its a common thing with the Askiums, something to do with the spoke and hub design.

He advised me to put a drop of oil around the nipple and rim, and at the hub contact points to see how it goes, and if the noise persists to take them back for another look.

To be honest, the noise got on my tits for a while, but now im just ignoring it, and will use the wheels over the winter and buy new wheels in the summer again.

Hope that helps
  • Thanks for the advice,

I'll have to try putting some oil on the rims and hub and see how that goes.

As long as there's nothing up with my front wheel.

Sometimes I hold back on climbs because I think my front wheel is gonna fold in half. But if this is a common problem I may have to put up with it.

I've only had the bike since feb and it's already been in for it's 6 month free service.

Thanks again

Dom
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    my planet x carbons did it. I tightened the skewer and it went!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Buying a new set of wheels isn't really an option at the moment as funds do not permit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Grease round the wheel bearings and where the fork meets the skewers, this area can get dry and a little friction will occur when put under load. This happened on my kysriums, but stopped as soon as some grease was applied. Hope this helps.
  • I bought a pair of Aksiums last year, have only done 200 miles on them and they click. Tried the oil on the nipples and hub but they still click. Had enough of them so gonna put them up for sale I think.
  • I have exactly the same problem as the OP with the same wheels-am really keen to try the oil thing and see how it goes. Every time I get out of the saddle I hear it and freak out thinking I could be about to fly over the bars and break my forks!! Good to hear it's nothing major (hopefully)
  • I'm sort of glad it's not just me. As I said before I can't really afford to buy a new set of wheels because I only bought the bike Feb this year (and out of principle really).

The main problem is though, like SIMMSPINN says I keep thinking that if I put too much pressure on the front wheel it's gonna break. So I'm tending to pull back up hills.
  • Dont worry, its not going to break. Think its just the wheels flexing a bit.
    Just check there is no powder at the contact points, this indicates fretting, and the possibility something bad is waiting to happen.

There is anther thing to check, try moving the wheel from side to side at the rim between the brake blocks. If there is any movement you may need to adjust the nits on the wheels to set this up. I saw this on another thread last night and am going to try this today as I do have a we bit of play, which if taken up may stop the noise.

If you dont know how to do this, its on the parktools website use the bike locator to find hub servicing and think its point number 9 to follow
  • OK, newbie question time!

Are the contact points where the wheel slides into the fork or where the spokes attach to the hub?
  • I guess the contact point is where wheel slides into the fork.
  • oh boll*cks ive just fitted these wheels to mine haha.

is there anyone here who HASN't had any problems with them?

im now going to get um before they start by greasing the sh*t out of them.