How can I repair a small hole in the knee of my lycra shorts

wmc
wmc Posts: 259
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
I'm gutted. I have a new pair of Endura MT500 3/4 shorts and on the first day of wearing them I nicked them on a wall putting a little finger nail sized hole on the knee.

It's obviously lycra, so flexible and my darning skills are non existant. Are there any easy good fixes that anyone knows of?

Many thanks,

Andy

Comments

• rkdj
    rkdj Posts: 50
    turn them into above knee shorts....... :roll:
    older, balder, faster, slimmer, better
  • I'm assuming the OP bought a 'new' pair of 3/4 lengths as he wanted them below the knee :wink:

Sorry wmc but I don't have an answer. I have a cycling rain jacket that has some small knicks in and has repaired using a flexible/stretchy patch. Maybe you can get something similar for lycra.
  • 3/4 lengths on men are sooooo wrong. Throw them in the bin and get some proper shorts or some full length leggings.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    just ink it in with marker pen
  • what, his knee :wink:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,845
    Mister W wrote:
    3/4 lengths on men are sooooo wrong. Throw them in the bin and get some proper shorts or some full length leggings.

full length are for puffy ankle weirdos
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wmc
    wmc Posts: 259
    Yeah, tried the marker pen, but it gets expensive as you have to do a large area to allow for movement of the shorts!

In response to the above knee idea and 3/4 shorts being so wrong, my knees are a bit knackered and if I dont cover/support them I get a lot of aches/problems as the weather gets colder.

Neil> thanks for the link, I couldn't find anything with a search!
  • If its just a small hole put a small bit of material behind the hole and then drop a spot of superglue on the outside where the hole is . Mended a hole in some lycra shorts that way .
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    This year I've discovered that knee warmers are much more useful - I can wear any of my shorts and take them off easily if the weather changes.

Doesn't help you much though.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Sew it, black cotton & loose stitches should do the trick. Did that to pair of shorts that I snagged on gate on touring hol, 3 years on (the tour was only 4 weeks not 3 years mind!)the repair's still holding up well.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    k-dog wrote:
    This year I've discovered that knee warmers are much more useful - I can wear any of my shorts and take them off easily if the weather changes.

Doesn't help you much though.

+1 and leg warmers too + my favourite top has zip off arms. Really good at this time of year as the mornings are chilly on the joints but warm up pretty quickly.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, I have leg warmers too. Very useful for November and March - before I get into the full length tights.

Never tried arm warmers - I find I can ride most of the year up here in long sleeves. :(
    I'm left handed, if that matters.