What Ti Hardtail frame to go with Rohloff Hub?

GavinCapstick
GavinCapstick Posts: 19
edited September 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking at various options for a Ti Hardtail at the mo. I want it to be a bit harder hitting and trail focussed (so capable of taking a longer travel / adjustable fork). I'm think of the Rockshox Pike for it's 'fit and forget' reputation. And on a similar theme (i.e no maintenenace - fit and forget) I'm considering a Rohloff hub.

I'll be honest i don't know much about the Rohloff hub - but at first glance I'm guessing that like a single-speed, you're going to need horizontal droupouts (or some form of dropouts that will allow you to get the chain tension right)???

I'm not keen to use a chain tensioning device (just don't like em!).

So what are the options for a frame? The modular drop-outs on the Whyte Ti 19 will presumably be suitable? Anyone know what the Cove hummer, Cotic Soda or on-One 456 Ti would be like?

I know the Van Nicholas Zion is Rohloff specific - but it's a bit too 'race light' and (I think) designed around a 100mm fork - so not really what I'm after.

Any thoughts / advice greatly appreciated.

Gavin.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How about the Van Nicholas Mam Tor?
  • Whyte 19 ti works well with the Rohloff hub, i saw one being built in my local IBD and it looked clean and tidy - no tensioner required.
  • Hmmmm, that's going to be lovely. You want to try and get a rohloff specific ti frame, bodging them to a horizontal frame doesn't always work.

I'd go for bolt through revelations over the pikes, purely to save about 0.5kg!!!!
  • De Kerf also do rollhoff specific builds, including braze-ons for the double cabling that rolly uses. Costly, mind, even for Ti

a lot of Ti frames have replaceable dropouts so you can put slidey ones. some of these *may* have rolly specific ones available, but you'd have to check
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    The Mam Tor had a REALLY poor review in Singletrack recently. Seemed to be way too steep a head angle for the available travel. The Whyte 19 got a good write up but they couldn't justify the Ti loveliness as the alloy version rode so well. Ragley Ti got a stonking review, as did the Cove Hummer and whatever Lynskey they rode
  • hmm, the Mam tor does have a steep HA for the fork length (69 deg according to VN site and it's designed for 140 fork) Probably it will be alarming once you start to use the full fork travel

however the Zion Rollhoff is 69 deg at 80mm and can take a 100 which would be just nice I think

ZION-ROH-MIDDEL.jpg
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day