Fasted training

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
What are the supposed benefits of doing a 60-90min ride first thing in the morning before eating anything.

This is something I'm considering as a weight loss campaign. I've always thought weight loss was more effective if you have something to eat first thing as it stops your body going into preservation mode.

I'm not on about skipping breakfast, just having it after my morning ride.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• In short it's supposed to burn fat quicker.

However I've read up on this before and there are good arguements for and against so is difficult to make an informed decision.

In the past I've tried both on the run up to a (non cycling) event and have lost similar amounts of weight so is hard to say. Nowadays if I'm training hard early I try to eat at least 100 kCals as psycologically I find exercise more enjoyable with something inside my stomach (hence I want to do it more often).

These days a small bowl of porridge and a post workout recovery drink serves me well.

Why not try a month on/month off ?
  • If you've got a weight loss campaign with no time restrictions for the end weight then it doesn't really matter. That said, i never seemed to lose much weight training really hard before breakfast when rowing, but coaching before breakfast meant i literally couldn't put weight on, so sort of 2hr rides at really slow pace (like really really slow) and i was eating two breakfasts, two lunches and a light dinner and only just maintaining weight.

Try it for a month and see how well it goes for you. Bear in mind you'll find that you won't be as fast first thing in the morning. And keep the knees covered.
  • Wiggins attributed some of his weight loss to not eating prior to some training rides.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I've been doing this for about a month now on 2 of my 3 morning commutes and even not eating at the other end for an hour after getting off the bike as I read that was even better in one of the mags. It hasn't made the slightest different yet. I'm stubbornly stuck at 75-76kg :cry: Perhaps it just needs more time
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Wiggins attributed some of his weight loss to not eating prior to some training rides.

Didn't he basically follow a modified form of the paleo diet whereby protein and fats are given as much importance as carbs (carbs for pre ride and on the bike feeding) proteins & fats and lots of veg/fruit at all other times.
  • Thanks for the replies folks, I'll give it a go.

Previously I've just gone on long rides in "zone 2" but I don't have quite so much time available to me at the mo.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • xraymtb
    xraymtb Posts: 121
    In terms of weight loss - its a simple equation of calories in vs calories out. Riding without eating first doesnt make any difference to the amount of calories burnt during a workout, and so has no impact on weight loss over and above any other ride.

I believe the research shows that it can develop your ability to efficiently use fat stores when riding, helping on those long rides where you can't get enough fuel in. So it does have benefits but I wouldn't do it too often.
    exercise.png
  • Whilst it is as simple as calories in calories out... the hard part is keeping it up, which is where doing it right helps. The more efficiently you lose weight the easier it is to keep up.
  • doyler78 wrote:
    Wiggins attributed some of his weight loss to not eating prior to some training rides.

Didn't he basically follow a modified form of the paleo diet whereby protein and fats are given as much importance as carbs (carbs for pre ride and on the bike feeding) proteins & fats and lots of veg/fruit at all other times.

I don't know the details (though, interested) it was only a comment he made during the tour that I saw...
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.