Hutchinson Fusion 2 tyres

DavidBelcher
DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Anyone had any bad experiences with these to report? My back one seems to have succumbed to a couple of nasty sidewall cuts after only 6 weeks of use (equating to a a couple of hundred miles) such that the inner tube was actually poking through one cut. :shock:
I think a mix of riding on rough-ish back lanes and possibly a scattering of the dreaded hedge trimmings may not have helped, though it hasn't seen any severe punishment really. Taking it back to the retailer in the next couple of days so will see what they have to say....

David
"It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal

Comments

• Bought one of these in France in June, David. Needed a fast replacement after the dreaded Schwalbe sidewall got me on the descent of Hautacam... Anyway, was pretty pleased with it until the last week of August when it exploded on a Time Trial interval... Close inspection revealed a tiny nick, with nothing in it had suddenly expanded and gone right down to the tube.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I think I've got these on my Focus Cayo. Certainly they're Hutchinson Fusion something or other with a kevlar band for puncture prevention. I've only had 1 puncture in several hundred miles or riding but although they're labelled as 700c tyres they're too big and when I first tried to repair the puncture I exploded 2 or 3 inner tubes before realising that because they are too large, they do not seat on the rim very well, so bits of the tube were sticking out and as I pumped up the tyre, the trapped bit of tube would explode.

I don't think they'r every popular tyres anyway, Condor has had them on sale in their bargain bucket for a while now.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Fusion2 are the tubeless version.

I've done about 500 miles on mine so far and they're doing fine. Off to ride Mt Ventoux this weekend 8) so we'll see how they do big ups and downs.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Fusion2 are the tubeless version.

I've done about 500 miles on mine so far and they're doing fine. Off to ride Mt Ventoux this weekend 8) so we'll see how they do big ups and downs.

Not always tubeless - these are the ones I've got and they're not tubeless:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23236
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    fair enough HH

David, are you on about the tubeless version or the regular one?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    fair enough HH

David, are you on about the tubeless version or the regular one?

Mine are the standard version for inner tubes as in that Chain Reaction link. Nice to know others are in the same boat and it isn't just me!
    For reasons of vanity, I wanted a similar black/grey tyre to the front Fusion (which is still fine) so that the bike didn't look odd and have bought a Michelin Krylion which I've heard good things about (I've got two TTs on the cards for the weekend so couldn't hang about waiting for the bike shop to assess the old one in case I was still tyre-less come Saturday morning). I'll let you know how the new tyre fares....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I've been using the Hutchinson Fusions and the Fusion 2's pretty much since I started cycling. I'm really pleased with them although I do tend to swap over to Conti Gatorskins in winter. The only thing I've noticed is that you won't get any punctures until towards the end of their life and seem to puncture quite a bit. Really happy with them and usually stock up when I'm in France.