Protein for breakfast ??

robrauy
robrauy Posts: 252
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
I love porridge for breakfast. I normally have a sizable bowl around 7am, but I'm normally ravenous by 10am, especially after treating my commute as a training ride.

A couple of poached eggs on toast has an incredible effect on keeping my hunger at bay, but I don't want to eat eggs every day..

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any protein supplements - preferably something I can add to porridge to boost my breakfast protein intake ?

Many thanks...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Reflex Instant Whey.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Maximuscle Promax Natural.
  • Anonymous
    QuadPower(tm) liquidised fillet steak and tuna shake.
  • robrauy
    NapoleonD wrote:

Hmmmm..... Steak :D

Anyone suggest anything more natural and less Arnie sounding ??
  • Live chickens?

Fish is good, lots of good bits you can get. Mackerel, haddock, scallops, cod roe...

depends what you can get?
  • Anonymous
    robrauy wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Hmmmm..... Steak :D

Anyone suggest anything more natural and less Arnie sounding ??

You can't get more natural than shoving some tuna and fillet steak in a blender.

Damn! Just given away the secret ingredients!
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Have a look at MyProtein (link below). Do a big range of whey/protein powders in a range of flavours or unflavoured. Cheaper than maximuscle etc. Use the discount code to get 5% off your first order (shameless plug as I get referell points everytime some one uses the discount code) :shock: :D:D
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    robrauy wrote:
    I love porridge for breakfast. I normally have a sizable bowl around 7am, but I'm normally ravenous by 10am, especially after treating my commute as a training ride.

A couple of poached eggs on toast has an incredible effect on keeping my hunger at bay, but I don't want to eat eggs every day..

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any protein supplements - preferably something I can add to porridge to boost my breakfast protein intake ?

Many thanks...
    Why do you think the solution lies in extra protein for breakfast? Do you know you're not getting enough protein throughout the course of the rest of the day? My solution would be to eat a banana or other piece of fruit when I got hungry, rather than assuming I needed a bigger breakfast. I rarely go more than a couple of hours without eating something.

Ruth
  • Isn't it fibre that makes you feel fuller for longer ? Either way I'm not 100% that adding protein to your breakfast is going to achieve exactly what you want.

I normally eat porridge for breakfast (7:00am) but then snack between lunch on nuts/dried fruit, a banana or peanut butter sandwich (brown or granary bread). Usually does the business until I get back from the gym at lunch time.

If you're having a full on commute to work though just have something when you get to work to help recover.
  • robrauy
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Why do you think the solution lies in extra protein for breakfast? Do you know you're not getting enough protein throughout the course of the rest of the day? My solution would be to eat a banana or other piece of fruit when I got hungry, rather than assuming I needed a bigger breakfast. I rarely go more than a couple of hours without eating something.
    Ruth

I don't know that I'm not getting enough protein - Just that I get this insatiable appetite around 10am, which usually causes me to eat a load of nuts or dried fruit that then makes me feel pretty ill for the rest of the morning ! The eggs for breakfast just seemed to make my appetite more stable and controllable.. I'm very rarely hungry after lunch until around 5 or 6..
  • robrauy
    Escargot wrote:
    Isn't it fibre that makes you feel fuller for longer ? Either way I'm not 100% that adding protein to your breakfast is going to achieve exactly what you want.

I normally eat porridge for breakfast (7:00am) but then snack between lunch on nuts/dried fruit, a banana or peanut butter sandwich (brown or granary bread). Usually does the business until I get back from the gym at lunch time.

If you're having a full on commute to work though just have something when you get to work to help recover.

I see what you mean - Peanut butter sandwich sounds like a good idea (if the kids haven't eaten it all)..

I think I've been eating too much dried fruit. I imagine the high sugar content is not particularly good for regulating appetite ?
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I like a good protein shake of a morning. If you see what I mean.
  • robrauy wrote:
    Escargot wrote:
    Isn't it fibre that makes you feel fuller for longer ? Either way I'm not 100% that adding protein to your breakfast is going to achieve exactly what you want.

I see what you mean - Peanut butter sandwich sounds like a good idea (if the kids haven't eaten it all)..

I think I've been eating too much dried fruit. I imagine the high sugar content is not particularly good for regulating appetite ?

Yeah, maybe the dried fruit is the thing. I tend to just mix a small amount in with the nuts as they're quite dry otherwise.

WRT the peanut butter, Tesco sell a really nice one by 'Whole Earth'. They claim it doesn't contain any sugar/sweetner but tastes surprisingly good. Top stuff and a good source of protein post commute.
  • robrauy
    Escargot wrote:

Yeah, maybe the dried fruit is the thing. I tend to just mix a small amount in with the nuts as they're quite dry otherwise.

WRT the peanut butter, Tesco sell a really nice one by 'Whole Earth'. They claim it doesn't contain any sugar/sweetner but tastes surprisingly good. Top stuff and a good source of protein post commute.

Sounds ideal - Thanks. I'll give it a go...
  • tonyw43
    Escargot wrote:

+1 for the Whole Earth peanut butter. 'specially nice on scottish oatcakes.
  • Add low fat cheese, oily fish, chicken or eggs to your breakfast?
    Make your porridge with milk - not everyone does!
    Dried fruit is as sugar rich as sweets - but without teh fat of chocolate. A wholegrain sarnie on arriving at work (filled with tuna, egg, chicken etc) would be better.
    Steer clear of regular protein powders if you can eat 'real' food instead.
  • Listen to BeaconRuth. She knows what she's talking about.

As an athlete you should eat more often with slightly less quantity. 5 -7 times a day is usually recommmended.

You need to understand what you're tryin to achieve. Cravings are telling you something, but you might be misinterpreting them. Carbs would be better and I'd back up Ruth's advice to graze on fruit. Keep the protein shakes for post-exercise in my opinion where they can do the most good.
  • Big +1 for Ruth and Mackdaddy.

Grazing is the key word here.
    You shouldn't go without eating more than 3 hours.
    Dried fruits can be a bit too sweet, so I'd stick with fresh fruits and/or nuts (about a handful).
    I try to have another snack like that around 3 or 4 PM as well.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • tonyw43
    mackdaddy wrote:
    Keep the protein shakes for post-exercise in my opinion where they can do the most good.

Very true, but you also need to bear in mind that you need to keep your protein intake up. Not enough protein in a diet when exercising can be detrimental to lean muscle, especially if watching what you eat. The body can only process 20-30g of protein per hour, so your protein intake should be spread across the day, in the 6 -7 meals as already mentioned, not just after training. Muscles recover and repair best at times of rest, so even when not on a training day, you still need to keep the protein there.
  • Add nuts to your porridge? It's what I have.
  • Have a boiled Egg with your porridge. It will help with hunger.

I find it good to mix things up though - alternate what you have each day. i.e. eggs/toast one day, porridge the next. Adding protien to a meal will help keep hunger at bay for longer. Personally, scrambled eggs and a stack of fruit keeps me going better than a bowl of porridge does, so experiment and see what works for you - we are all different after all. Oh - and ditto the comment on eating every 2-3 hours.
  • the only issue with this is the false logic being applied by most people...

yes grazing all day is better, but he had porridge for breakfast. PORRIDGE FFS

That stuff sets in a solid block in your stomach and takes all day to digest, the vast bulk of people will be full until well after lunch on a normal sized bowl for breakfast.

He craves nuts, a protein source...

When he has eggs he is fine.

Needs more protein, from the sounds of things. Ideally spread out as tonyW43 says.

As for amounts of protein and carbs post exercise, 1/4 gram of protein and 1/2 gram of carbs per kg after exercise tends to see you well restocked for the next outing.
  • Porridge is not some kind of wonder food. Great yes but porridge will not keep your hunger at bay for 5 hours straight.

Like the OP I eat porridge at 7:00am but if I don't eat anything till 12:00pm I'm starving and I won't have done any exercise between those times. The OP commutes hard into work so I don't see it as being odd at all.

As BeaconRuth has already mentioned you really need to do some sums and work out what your average daily intake is before going down the 'extra protein' route. For sure your body will crave for certain things but its not always a good indicator (I always fancy a full English but I'm pretty sure my body doesn't need the extra fat/salt etc :wink: )

The amount you ultimately need is also very dependent on the kind of exercise you do so best to start from the bottom and work from there. I've said this before but I think people are too quick to jump on the protein bandwagon and waste money without really knowing if it's necessary.
  • Anonymous
    Harry Monk ?
  • Its a waste of good protein if you want of for energy. A good complex/simple carbohydrate mixture (think white bread = simple, brown bread = complex) will give you the energy much more cheaply.

The body doesn't store/use protein unless it needs to as it is only stored as muscle. the energy you feel is more likely due to the carbohydrates in your bacon and eggs (or liking your breaky more than some of Quakers finest).

A small amount of protein my help stop muscle catabolism (when you body eats muscle for energy i.e. why climbers and roulers are freakishly anorexic).

If you really feel the need for protein avoid anything with some scantily clad freak-show on the fluorescent tub and by from MyProtein - where all my money went while powerlifting.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    the only issue with this is the false logic being applied by most people...

yes grazing all day is better, but he had porridge for breakfast. PORRIDGE FFS

That stuff sets in a solid block in your stomach and takes all day to digest, the vast bulk of people will be full until well after lunch on a normal sized bowl for breakfast.

He craves nuts, a protein source...

When he has eggs he is fine.

Needs more protein, from the sounds of things. Ideally spread out as tonyW43 says.
    As for amounts of protein and carbs post exercise, 1/4 gram of protein and 1/2 gram of carbs per kg after exercise tends to see you well restocked for the next outing.

Lack of protein desn't manifest itself as hunger though, does it?
  • I thought that some nutritionists argue that higher levels of protein in a diet to help to make you feel fed for longer than a high carbs/low protein diet.

Tbh I have muesli/bran flakes mix or porridge for breakfast with sunflower seeds and sultanas. I always started feeling hungry around 11 - 11.30 (brekkie about 8.45).

For the last 2 to 3 weeks I've been adding a heaped dessert spoon of myprotein impact whey to the porridge or cereal, I find I go through to lunch time without the hunger pangs late morning. Could be purely a placebo effect of course but it works for me.

For the minimal increase in calories I can't see the harm it does anyway, irrespective of whether its actually helping or not.
  • Porridge seems to do the trick for me

I soak the oats overnight and make it with milk and water

I then add nuts (almonds and walnuts), banana and raisins

Feel fine until lunchtime

Recommend it to anyone
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Depends what you are doing. If you exercise enough to get rid of the calories then take on board an extra carbo snack between meals. If, like me, you're a fat greedy pig who isn't doing enough exercise but still feels hungry between meals then protein helps to keep you feeling full for longer - it also, apparently keeps you more alert. Old habits and a sweet tooth mean I fail to follow this advice and have the stomach to prove it :lol:

I suspect as you are cycling to work you fall into the former category and you are just burning off the calories in your breakfast before lunchtime.
  • TonyW43 wrote:
    mackdaddy wrote:
    Keep the protein shakes for post-exercise in my opinion where they can do the most good.

Very true, but you also need to bear in mind that you need to keep your protein intake up. Not enough protein in a diet when exercising can be detrimental to lean muscle, especially if watching what you eat. The body can only process 20-30g of protein per hour, so your protein intake should be spread across the day, in the 6 -7 meals as already mentioned, not just after training. Muscles recover and repair best at times of rest, so even when not on a training day, you still need to keep the protein there.

I don't disagree Tony. I missed out the bit where a decent protein balance of 2:1 carbs to protein in the 5-7 meals would be good. Fish, Eggs, Chicken etc. However, I still stand by what I meant, Protein shakes such as Whey Proetin Isolates ought to be kept post exercise as they are very rapidly absorbed.
    The shiny muscle mass stuff should be avoided all together.

And et 7-10 protions of fresh fruit or veg per day, despite what the goverment say about 5! :lol: