1940 bianchi

pbamf
pbamf Posts: 69
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Has anybody seen the 1940 Bianchi bike on ebay (sorry but dont know how to put a link to it). Ok so it is in America £3550 last time I looked but what a bike, real classy.

Comments

• wow, its in amazing condition!
  • pbamf wrote:
    Has anybody seen the 1940 Bianchi bike on ebay (sorry but dont know how to put a link to it). Ok so it is in America £3550 last time I looked but what a bike, real classy.

pah ...3 and a half grand ....for a bike ....a bike!!....just think of all the generic chinese imports you could buy for that and still have change for a bag of monkey nuts ! :wink:

very nice piece of kit indeed ..wonder if the bikewidow would understand if I ..........

:lol:
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • That is a thing of rare beauty! :D
  • volvicspar wrote:

What are those gears supposed to be :shock: I think I'll stick to Shimano STI's thanks!

They look quite clever. Like a single speed with 3 options. You can shift the ratio to suit what ride you're doing and move the wheel back and forward to adjust the chain tension. Doesn't look like it needs any tools to do it either.
  • Can't see it as work blocks me :(
    Is it one of those death trap looking jobbies with the gear changing done by foot?
  • pbamf
    No its not a foot jobbie it is a hand jobbie, where you reach behind you (by the spokes) grab a lever and change gear that way, maybe lose a few fingers in the process but hey you would be a few grams lighter. On second thoughts maybe i,ll just get the ultegra sl instead.
  • I always assumed they were foot controls :shock: Deathtrap :!:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    That is a thing of rare beauty! :D

FFS don't be tempted. It's a lot further than Epic to send back! :lol::wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • pbamf wrote:
    No its not a foot jobbie it is a hand jobbie, .

better be good for 3 and a half grand :oops: :wink:
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Yeah I saw that, it's gorgeous! If I was a millionaire... or even just a 500,000aire, I'd probably get it. I'd hang it on my wall.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Lovely....

Is it just me or is that celeste colour a little greener than it is nowadays?
    No its not a foot jobbie it is a hand jobbie, where you reach behind you (by the spokes) grab a lever and change gear that way, maybe lose a few fingers in the process but hey you would be a few grams lighter. On second thoughts maybe i,ll just get the ultegra sl instead.
    This type of gear was standard for a long time - one of the levers operates the quick release to allow the wheel to move back and forward in the dropout, the other moves the chain from one sprocket to another. You undo the quick release, then move the chain (presumably either braking or accelerating at the same time so as to increase or decrease chain tension/hub position) then fasten the quick release again. All while you are moving of course... It took some getting use to but apparently once you got the hang of it it worked very well. Elegant and efficient, no extra weight or moving parts...
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Go on somebody, make a bid. I dares ya :D
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    It's nice, but not completely 'original' (in terms of paint/decals etc). Still it would be a lot to expect a 69yr old mint cond bike I guess.....

Fender do this with new* guitars (i.e. 'relic' them) and charge a fortune.

* - I know the bike is an orignal oldie....
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Can I be the first to say it looks like a pile of shite?

I don't know what people see in old vehicles, powered or not. They don't do anything as well as their modern counterparts.
  • pbamf
    No you cannot :lol: It is pure class. Maybe in another 60 years we will want to hang a carbon or titanium on the wall as pure class but until then
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Smokin Joe wrote:

I don't know what people see in old vehicles, powered or not. They don't do anything as well as their modern counterparts.

Yes you can. Each to their own I guess.

I can't help feeling you've completely missed the point though...
  • bobtbuilder wrote:
    That is a thing of rare beauty!

FFS don't be tempted. It's a lot further than Epic to send back!

ROFLMAO - you're not wrong Aggieboy! :lol:
  • Smokin Joe
    pickled wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Yes you can. Each to their own I guess.

I can't help feeling you've completely missed the point though...
    Naw.

It's like admiring a black & white TV in my book.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Actually, as far as cars go, I'd disagree. Modern cars are bloody wretched things with virtually every design aspect misguided IMHO.

Anyway, back to cycles. That's a nice retro style jersey you have in your avatar :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Smokin Joe
    Classic retro style, but modern design and materials. It works just as well as the modern jersey where the graphics often look like a whores vomit after she's blown the Egyptian rugby team.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Classic retro style, but modern design and materials. It works just as well as the modern jersey where the graphics often look like a whores vomit after she's blown the Egyptian rugby team.

I know - I have one! Trouble is, whereas jerseys are better now, with things such as cars, things have been going steadily downhill for the last 20 years. Best reliability, quality and easily the cheapest running costs are had from cars that were new many, many years ago. Progress isn't always progress!

But you've explained your own question - ultimately, many people prefer the style of the period piece even at the expense of performance.
    Faster than a tent.......