winter road shoes/boots

eyebee
eyebee Posts: 257
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
I was considering some road shoes/boots for the winter. I've used shoes with overshoes previously but want something to use on my commutes as well. There doesn't appear to be too many options available other than mb boots, can anyone recommend any for road use?

Comments

• Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Northwave and Sidi both make a winter road boot. Can't recommend either as I just bought a pair of Northwave Celsius (their winter mtb boot) for road and commuting use. Wore them once, but my feet got way too hot!
    More problems but still living....
  • eyebee
    The Northwave Fahrenheit look like they're up for the Job. Love the sidi boots but can't really justify spending that much (or afford to).
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I used the Northwave Celsius last winter. Better than over shoes. I never had cold feet. They do leak as does anything with a large hole at the top and take a while to dry out. My feet were still drier than with overshoes. They are quite stiff and may rub at the ankle(mine are all right). The mesh protection on the ankle does not do your cranks any favours either but generally I like them.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    +1 For the Northwave Fahrenheit. I've used a pair for the last two winters - a lot better than overshoes for warmth and keeping dry.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I tend to just use overshoes TBH.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If you do go for winter boots, imo get a size too large and wear them with decent winter socks such as woolie boolies, creating a 'warm air space'. Feet will remain cold if too constricted.

Years of cold feet riding in winter time taught me this.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I've said it before, but the Northwave Fahrenheit is the only choice if you suffer from cold feet.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No actually it's not. Most makes of winter shoe or boot will be fine, it's how you use them thats the secret.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    No actually it's not. Most makes of winter shoe or boot will be fine, it's how you use them thats the secret.

Yep, absolutely. I use either overshoes or a pair of Sidi winter boots I bought about 20 years ago and still going strong ( well adequately strong). I have been known to wear Hunter wellies when it's been very slushy - in the days of clips and straps, though - they keep your feet both warm and dry but I wouldn't recommend for a long ride over 20 miles.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Neoprene overshoes and MTB shoes do the trick for me.
  • eyebee
    Thanks all,
    I will stick with the overshoes and invest in a decent second pair of road shoes as I think they'll get more use overall.....anyone recommend anything as there seems so many good offers at present.
    What about mavics range?