Dreadful service received - any options?

13»

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Send epic an email with the URL of this thread. I reckon they would sort you out pretty quickly.

Personally, I would do one of two things:-

Get the bike repaired - register your discontent with epic via letter - ask for £50 as a goodwill gesture - considering you have spebt £3k - this isn't unreasonable.

or,
    Ship the lot back, tell them to stick there bike - and refund your credit card. If they don't contact your credit card people, file a dispute. I would be 99% certain epic will capitulate at this point.

Epic aren't particularly cheap - you pay extra for there expertise. You could probably get that bike cheaper elsewhere - esp this time of year.
  • Send epic an email with the URL of this thread. I reckon they would sort you out pretty quickly.

My thoughts entirely - there'll already be a few people here who will think better of buying from Epic cycles after reading this thread. I think it's up to them to redeem themselves.

[/quote]
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    The shop has probably tested the gears on a work stand before you bought it.
    The fact that they did not turn the low limit screw on the rear mech by that extra quarter turn is a failry small matter but it had unpleasant consequences for you. But I think you would struggle to prove that this rendered the bike unfit for purpose or such like otherwise halfords would be getting sued every minute of every day. the fact that this adjustment to the rear mech had a knock-on effect is unfortunate but it's pretty harsh to say the shop are wholly responsible for it. every single bike I have ever bought, new or used, has had to have some further preparation before taking it on the road-it is the way of things.
    I am sure the shop will come to some amicable arrangement- so long as things remain amicable from your end. good luck
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think the difference is that Halfords probably sell all their bikes with a spoke protector - I hate the things, but if the lower limit screw isn't set, the chain still can't rip the spokes. I presume Epic didn't fit one, in which case the onus is upon them to get it right. The consequences of this error could have been very dangerous, and as such, I am not overly sympathetic to the bike shop, and I certainly do think that a bike that is liable to rip the spokes and / or seize the rear wheel is more than unfit, it is dangerous!
  • kingrollo
    sturmey wrote:
    The fact that they did not turn the low limit screw on the rear mech by that extra quarter turn is a failry small matter but it had unpleasant consequences for you. But I think you would struggle to prove that this rendered the bike unfit for purpose or such like otherwise halfords would be getting sued every minute of every day. the fact that this adjustment to the rear mech had a knock-on effect is unfortunate but it's pretty harsh to say the shop are wholly responsible for it. every single bike I have ever bought, new or used, has had to have some further preparation before taking it on the road-it is the way of things.
    I am sure the shop will come to some amicable arrangement- so long as things remain amicable from your end. good luck

Halfords purchases are generally local - so you can take your bike back. Generally there is a bargain element with Halfords. This guy has handed over top dollar, to epic, presumably in the hope of getting a better service\advice. Personally I would expect to be treated like royalty if I had paid £3k for a bike.
  • Send epic an email with the URL of this thread. I reckon they would sort you out pretty quickly.

My thoughts entirely - there'll already be a few people here who will think better of buying from Epic cycles after reading this thread. I think it's up to them to redeem themselves.
    [/quote]

But from my experiences of Epic (and many other happy people) I'd happily go there again, despite this incident.

That said, if I bought a bike built up (normally build up myself), I'd no doubt test it myself thoroughly either on the workstand or turbo first before venturing out. Particlularly with mail order, it's too easy for small knocks to throw things out.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    kingrollo wrote:
    sturmey wrote:

Halfords purchases are generally local - so you can take your bike back. Generally there is a bargain element with Halfords. This guy has handed over top dollar, to epic, presumably in the hope of getting a better service\advice. Personally I would expect to be treated like royalty if I had paid £3k for a bike.
    Agreed!
  • Thanks All,

Feel much better having heard people with a similar view.

I'm taking it to the LBS today, as I just want to ride it, and if it goes to Epic I probably won't see it again until 2010.

I will definitely wrtie a letter of complaint, and the idea to send them the thread is a great one. Maybe they will see what a little goodwill (or lack of) leads to!

Thanks again.

Rob
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Here's the approach by Wiggle.

Out cycling this morning my saddle (fraction under 12 months old) broke - Selle Italia Tecknologica Flow. Sent them an email just now and they relied in 5 minutes with...
    Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear about the problem you are having with this product. Please return to us at the address on the completed returns form, we will refund your returns carriage if found to be faulty. We will inspect the item and notify you via email. Please use the returns system found on our website and enclose a copy of the invoice.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • kingrollo
    cjw wrote:
    Here's the approach by Wiggle.

Out cycling this morning my saddle (fraction under 12 months old) broke - Selle Italia Tecknologica Flow. Sent them an email just now and they relied in 5 minutes with...
    Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear about the problem you are having with this product. Please return to us at the address on the completed returns form, we will refund your returns carriage if found to be faulty. We will inspect the item and notify you via email. Please use the returns system found on our website and enclose a copy of the invoice.

I returned a faulty computer to wiggle. Asked for a refund, this was done & they refunded postage - all sorted in a couple days. - The result I will go back to them for other stuff.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

I'm taking it to the LBS today, as I just want to ride it, and if it goes to Epic I probably won't see it again until 2010.

I will definitely wrtie a letter of complaint, and the idea to send them the thread is a great one. Maybe they will see what a little goodwill (or lack of) leads to!

I think that's the sensible and best option.

Whatever, don't let this small incident put you off, those Orca's are just about the most gorgeous bike around, wish I had a spare 3k knocking about!
  • I was quite shocked when I read the OP's thread.

Personally, I can only praise Epic!

Purchased my bike earlier in the year from them, frequently discussed spec changes, agreed the price, they provided me with a demo bike, said take as long as you like, so had a decent blat round the countryside.

Agreed final spec, and the price ended up at a similar price to the basic spec bike advertiesed (this was after changing to Centaur/Fulcrum 3's etc...).

Took a couple of weeks before I collected the bike, and it was perfectly prepped.

I've not (until now) heard of any issues with Epic?

And after my dealings with both Chris and Phil, I'm shocked to read about their response!

But, you have to speak as you find, and I wouldn't have any problem going back to em'

Hope you get sorted......
    Live every day like it\'s your last, cos one day.......your gonna be right!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Thanks All,

Feel much better having heard people with a similar view.

Thanks again.

Rob
    Aggieboy Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:26 pm Post subject:

Bobtbuilder - I can appreciate how you feel but tbh if it was me I'd take it to the lbs, and then get out and ride. God knows how soon you'll get the bike back from Epic, even if resolved.

That's my £25 worth

Ahem! Consultation fee is,funnily enough, £25 :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You bought a 3k bike through the post ? Its not really a beginners bike is it ?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    cougie wrote:
    It is if you have a million quid + in the bank accounts :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    AHA - Its Sir Alan ! Hasnt he got 3 bikes - one at each of his houses ? Identical Pinarellos ?
    Or almost - cos his Florida based one has something like a 58 big ring ?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    cougie wrote:

I think you'll find it wasn't his first bike and he had been to Epic for a fit.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."