Repeat punctures + How to replace rim tape??

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,593
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hello all,

two recent puntures on my Felt with a WHR500 rear wheel prompted me to further investigations.

As both punctures were in the same place on the inside of the tube, I soon noticed that the tape that covers the holes where the spokes go/finish, had slipped to the side, and on a couple of the holes there is a gap, which I guess is enough to puncture the tube.

Having never ever touched rim tape before I am not sure what to do.

It appears to be stuck down?

Do I have any hope of moving it to the correct position, or must I remove it, and then re-apply new rim tape?

If I must remove and buy/fit new rim tape, and the old stuff is stuck down, do I need to somehow clean the sticky residue off with something, ie white spirit?

Sorry for the numpty question, I just have never had to deal with this specific occurence before,

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• remove the old, i tend to use duct tape because i've always got a couple of rolls kicking around.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the reply RW,

so remove the old stuff, but when you say you use duct tape, what as rim tape.......?

If I were to buy some new rim tape, any type/material better than any others?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • They aren't usually stuck down. Try gently prising the tape up with a small screwdriver, you should be able to re-align. Non of my rim tapes are stuck down, just very tight. If its intact but just out of place then there is no need to replace it.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Surprised your supplied rim tape is of the sticky/glued variety. Bought numerous wheelsets - of varying values - and its always been rubbishy plastic tape supplied.

For me it is Velox tape everytime. I suffered numerous rim-side puntures on both my Aksiums and particularly DT RR1850s before investing in Velox rim tape and I've not had another since.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for your replies chaps, maybe it is just super tight then, I will have a go tonight with a screwdriver, as part of me is wondering if I have managed to move the tape over when changing previous tubes.

I have seen that Velox tape on Wiggle for less than £2 per wheel, so might just invest in some of that,

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18