Night Riding

DB100
DB100 Posts: 258
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi All.
Fed up with the nights closing in, so I decided to purchase some lights and try night riding.
Chose Exposure Joystick maxx2 for my helmet and Maxx D for the bars. What do people think of them and any users wishing to share their thoughts? :D No excuse now, kids to bed and I'm off for a ride. (Their mum will be with them of course) :D

Comments

• if you like paying a lot then sure...

if not then look at any of the lighting threads and get a p7 or 2
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bit late asking for opinions after you've bought them !
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Seeing as you are asking - should have just got one of these and a cheapo one for your helmet

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
  • DB100
    Read all the reviews on lights I could and these came out well. Expensive I know but there you go :D
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    I Bought a P7 through Dealextreme and its Fooooo king ace.

im now hooked on night MTBing and cant get enough of it...
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • joec1 wrote:
    I Bought a P7 through Dealextreme and its Fooooo king ace.

im now hooked on night MTBing and cant get enough of it...

+1, I bought the same one linked above. Dosent have the same run-time isses the older torches had. I have used a Maxx D in the past, and whilst it is a good light (slightly better than the DTX one) I honestly don't feel that the extra £220 you pay is anywhere near justified.

Main benefit of the Maxx D imo is the long burn time (3, 10 or 24hrs depending on mode).
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Nothing wrong with Exposure lights, they a generally well regarded, enjoy your night riding and ignore all the cheapskates on here who go riding round the woods with a cheap torch ziptied to there helmet!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • grumsta
    ignore all the cheapskates on here who go riding round the woods with a cheap torch ziptied to there helmet!

Er... that link above is to a dedicated bike light.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    CHEAP TORCHES....? :shock:

Do you own one of those.... NO

I have a fenix light that costs 40.00 and its made from aircraft grade metal and water proof up to something like 10 meters and 250 lumen and SWAT and Tactical use them.

Call us cheap skates, get a life, we are sick and tired of bike light companies overcharging when you can get better for a fraction on the price,

My light for quality and longevity will last longer than most lights on the market.

But hey I guess I am cheap because I want value for money. :lol:
  • RichMTB
    have a fenix light that costs 40.00 and its made from aircraft grade metal and water proof up to something like 10 meters and 250 lumen and SWAT and Tactical use them.

Sorry must have touched a nerve I'll amend my comments....

Nothing wrong with Exposure lights, they a generally well regarded, enjoy your night riding and ignore all the guys with wierd police based fantasies on here who go riding round the woods with a mid-priced torch ziptied to there helmet!
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    lol gotta love this debate....

but im happy with my well spent £33.

and have used the remaining £200 (that i would have spent on an equivilant light) to upgrade to spds and buy a new helmet.... :)
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • RichMTB
    To be fair I'm just extracting the pee!

I bought a stupidly expensive Hope HID three years ago and a simlarly expensive Cateye LED shortly after.

If a powerful cheap LED torch had been around three years ago I would have probably saved myself a few quid
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    :lol: I know there are cheaper ways of getting good lights (I have Hope vision 4) but why are people obsessed with how much the OP paid? :lol: Its his money, so what?
    Enjoy the night riding, its a great thing to do.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • grumsta
    I know there are cheaper ways of getting good lights (I have Hope vision 4) but why are people obsessed with how much the OP paid? Its his money, so what?

Er... because he asked what people thought of them, and most people said 'they're fine but very expensive compared to other options'
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited September 2009
    What the OP paid is only relevant, because he's bought some fairly outdated, low power lights for a premioum price. People aren't down on these lights (and others) because they're expensive, they're down on them because they're expensive and yet still outclassed by the cheap option. People can buy what they want of course but it's a real shame when you spend more for less. And it might help stop other people doing the same.
    RichMTB wrote:
    ignore all the cheapskates on here who go riding round the woods with a cheap torch ziptied to there helmet!

You missed the important bit "A cheap torch with much more power than your exposures ziptied to their helmet" ;) THe joystick maxx 2 is just a very, very expensive torch after all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DB100
    Sorry must have touched a nerve I'll amend my comments....
    Nothing wrong with Exposure lights, they a generally well regarded, enjoy your night riding and ignore all the guys with wierd police based fantasies on here who go riding round the woods with a mid-priced torch ziptied to there helmet![/quote]

Rich, an absolute classic I am still rolling around lol :lol:
    I hope it was taken in the manner it was intended, a flash of brilliant humour :D

On the other hand, I don't wish to offend but it is my money and I have lots of it.
    I wouldn't normally be so vulger but some people p**s me off.
    Happy riding
  • grumsta
    On the other hand, I don't wish to offend but it is my money and I have lots of it.

A fool and his money......

;)
  • DB100
    grumsta wrote:

A fool and his money......

;)
    Indeed, however I don't feel it was a foolish purchase, yes I could have spent more time researching and found a better deal. This I concede. However it wasn't necessary and I prefer to be time rich. Anyway the question was intended to gain opinions on performance, do they break etc are they reliable how have people who own them, found them in real world use.
    Anyway thanks for the constructive responses
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Well my £45 LED Lenser - Mounted onto my £6.25 lock block bike mount is brilliant

The variable focus allows a wide pattern for twisty wooded sections and a long beam for fireroad type stuff

I'm just as fast at night as in the day on local XC loops!!!!

And not a zip tie in sight :lol: !!!!
  • grumsta
    Anyway the question was intended to gain opinions on performance, do they break etc are they reliable how have people who own them, found them in real world use.

Bit late now innit?
  • RichMTB
    http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/category/accessories/lights/front

DB100

You can check here for reviews

However do be aware the bike radar reviewers are in the pay of the evil bike light manufacturers (The Iluminati?) and their reviews are seeking to reinforce their nefarious hegemony of the world of bicycle illumination
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Cps wrote:
    Well my £45 LED Lenser - Mounted onto my £6.25 lock block bike mount is brilliant

The variable focus allows a wide pattern for twisty wooded sections and a long beam for fireroad type stuff

I'm just as fast at night as in the day on local XC loops!!!!

And not a zip tie in sight :lol: !!!!

Which model? I am looking at the P7 or P14 and an opinion would be great.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Mines the P7

but dont confuse it with the P7 Dx type led light

I think the Lenser P7 puts out about 170 lumens but the optics make it really work

Also note it will perform well for about an hour on high setting - so for longer rides take as many spare sets as needed!!!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Cps wrote:
    Mines the P7

but dont confuse it with the P7 Dx type led light

I think the Lenser P7 puts out about 170 lumens but the optics make it really work

Also note it will perform well for about an hour on high setting - so for longer rides take as many spare sets as needed!!!

Yeah I know it's just a model name, It's was the optics/light spread that I was intested in, cheers
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    The fact is, they're the best you can get. They just cost more then others.
  • DB100
    Hey it's a set of lights, will it illuminate my path? yes. Will I enjoy it? yes. Will I fall off? most definitely.
    Will I be riding along thinking, bugger I should have got cheaper lights? NO
    I'll be thinking F**k me what's that in the shadows and spinning like crazy to escape the evil doer. :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This months WMB has a round up of lights.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    RealMan wrote:
    The fact is, they're the best you can get. They just cost more then others.

Cobblers :lol: Light and Vision SECA 900, to name just one, would outbeam both of these 2 Exposures by itself. AND it costs even more :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist