New Crankset for 1.5

Squillinossett
Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi,

I was wondering if this will fit on my Trek 1.5 2009?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41400

Am I correct in assuming that the shifters will be ok as they are triples and its just the dont derailleur need to change?

Cheers

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    should do.

looks a bargain. Just check the BB cups are included.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Also it does not say, but is it ISIS or not?

No overly bothered as I had ISIS for a bit on my MTB until I changed to XTR and it worked a treat...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Not Isis. It is Mega-exo and uses outboard bearing cups. FSA normally come with them. I would recommend getting the BB shell on your frame faced. You will also need a spanner to fit the cups.
  • Ill be getting it fitted at my LBS (All Terrain) as they are going to need to pop a triple derailleur on there as well!

Its a stocking filler off the Mrs for xmas, but too much of a good deal to wait methinks!
  • Also, can anyone point me in the way of a good place to pick up a triple derailleour cheaply, looking for 105, or Ultegra as I will be upgrading most of the chainset after all the winter use (rear derailleour and front shifters)

Cheers
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    thats nice - what a great price.

seriously though - fit it yourself! - the mega-exo / hollowtech2 BB's are the easiest thing ever to fit. IME you don't need to face the BB shell either.

as for the rear mech - it's not so much 'triple' specific - but you will need a medium cage mech for a triple - and CRC do them too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=661

the ultegra at £39.99 looks ok - save a tenner with the 105 though!
  • Do i need long or medium?

And is ultegra hugely better than 105? I will be matching it with the same front mech as well.

was leaning towards the 105 tbh....more tempting in black as well!
  • gkerr4
    i'm not 100% sure to be honest - but 'long' shimano road mechs seem to be a pretty rare beast.

my winter bike did have tiagra triple (50/40/30) with a SRAM 12-26 cassette so quite a wde range - it ran a 105 'medium' rear mech with no problems at all.

as for the 105 v ultegra - personally I'd pay the extra £9.99 to get the ultegra - but stop short pf paying the extra £59.99 for dura ace!

it depends on what you are going to upgrade to all round - if you are thinking ultegra everything else then go for the ultegra mech - it'll only bug you if you don't
  • Went for the Ultegra in medium! so a Ultegra upfront, unless I end up finding a 105 at a super low price!
  • gkerr4
    have you just ordered it all? - cool!
  • yup, crank and unltegra rear mech in med.

At least it gives the Mrs something to get me for xmas! will have to fund the front STI shifters myself though, will just keep an eye out for a good deal on some ultegra/105 ones

Cheers for the help though!
  • John.T
    Shimano road mechs only come in 2 sizes. Short (double-SS) and long (triple-GS).
  • Hmm CRC has the Ultegra listed as Medium GS and the 105 in Long GS?
  • John.T
    Both GS are the same length though. You could call them medium but to get longer you have to go MTB. ie Deore or similar. Shops can be a bit careless on websites.
    If you want to go bigger than a 27 (28 at a pinch) cog you need MTB also.
  • ahhh I see (im still learning alot!) gace me an excuse to order the ulterga anyhow!