5:10 shoes

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Hi,
I am going to buy myself a pair of decent flat pedal shoes tomorrow and I am looking at 5:10's.
Now are 5:10's the best flat pedal shoe and worth the £££'s they cost? Or are the Shimano flat pedal shoes as good although they are cheaper.
I don't have lots of money to throw at the shoes so I want to be sure I buy the best ones.
Many thanks,
Caz xxxxx

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5:10s

Or get some others sticky soled. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nick,
    For the price of getting a pair resoled, i think i'll go with the new ones....less niffy if you get my meaning ;) lol
    Caz xxx
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yep, now they're the only ones with Stealth Rubber they're head shoulders and most of the torso above the rest. Or like Nick said, you can have any shoe fitted with the soles. It's what the Pro's do if they are sponsored by another shoe company.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i have a pair of 5/10 impacts and find them very comfey and grip is great but i just cant keep the laces in, ive tried tucking them everywhere and even tripple knotting them but always end up getting wrapped around my crank/pedals.

and dont even think about taking them out in the wet, they just soak everything up and takes weeks to dry out and stink terrible.

if i was to buy another pair id buy a pair of 5/10s with the lace guard "karvers" i think they are.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I have the shimano ones and like them a lot. The AM40s have a vibram rubber sole. Very grippy.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • ccc
    ccc Posts: 193
    Stuey01 wrote:
    I have the shimano ones and like them a lot. The AM40s have a vibram rubber sole. Very grippy.

+1 for AM40s. Have tried 5:10s and really don't think the extra cost is worth it.
    Eyes on the prize.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I always say the same thing, I have 5:10s and cheap waffle-sole Vans and I wear the Vans more- they're just better shoes, comfier and so much nicer to walk in, without being worse on the bike. Much less grippy, but there's a point it doesn't matter, grippy enough is grippy enough. My 5:10s certainly feel more confidence inspiring, you can really feel the grip, I just don't feel like for my riding it makes the slightest bit of difference. But ymmv of course, maybe I'm just not extreme enough ;) If I was doing DH or mad freeride I'm fairly sure I'd feel different.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Nick, "get some others sticky soled". Any idea how I might go about this? I fancy the ideea of a tougher waterproof upper (walking shoe?) with a stealth sole.

Currently using 5.10 basics, but I don't see 'em being much cop for the winter.

Any advice appreciated,

Alex
  • richg1979 wrote:
    i have a pair of 5/10 impacts and find them very comfey and grip is great but i just cant keep the laces in, ive tried tucking them everywhere and even tripple knotting them but always end up getting wrapped around my crank/pedals.

and dont even think about taking them out in the wet, they just soak everything up and takes weeks to dry out and stink terrible.

if i was to buy another pair id buy a pair of 5/10s with the lace guard "karvers" i think they are.

i have 510's and your're right the laces they supply are way too long.

Just do what I did swap them for some very short ones, job done! :wink:
  • hobbo31
    hobbo31 Posts: 107
    I've had a pair of Five Ten High Impact for about 3 or 4 years use them all year round, just starting to go on soles looked into getting them resoled at http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/index.php
    but I think I will just get new Impact Kaver as they have the cover over the laces :idea:
    Giant Trance X1 2008
    Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
    Ribble Road Bike
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015
  • I find 5:10s heavy, prefer cheap light grippy shoes with very grippy pedals.
  • 5:10's = glue

I've tried 4 types of riding shoes for flats and they are the best by a long shot - never slip no matter what angle my pedal is at - all of the other's I've had, I've slipped.

The laces don't get in the way for me - they aren't that long and I keep them in a double knot - I don't undo them either
  • Got myself a nice pair of 5:10 impact lows today, sulking abit as i had to get a pair of size 9's ! i'm only really a size 8...i've got canal boats for feet for a lass :oops: .
    Can't wait to try them out, any excuse for a ride :lol:
    Caz xxxxx