Different wheels for indoor trainer and outdoor ride use?

surista
surista Posts: 141
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
I recently had a tire blow on me - since it is coming up to the winter season my replacement was a Continental home trainer tire, which by all accounts is extremely durable.

However - in addition to being flourescent orange, it can not be used outside. Further, it was a major pain in the ass to get on, and the idea of swapping out the Conti for a road-use tire everytime I want to do a winter-season ride or race...well, it just probably isn't going to happen.

So - my question is, can I just buy a second wheel and only swap out the back wheel when I wanto to go outside?

FWIW, I have a Scott Speedster 20 2007 model.

TIA,

-S

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yes you can.

Obviously you'll need another wheel, cassette and tyre.

People regularly buy a dead-cheap wheel for the trainer, or use an old one which is straight enough but has the braking surface worn very thin and so is retired
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Yep, I had the joy of putting on a Conti home trainer tyre on my normal wheel last night - that was a workout in itself! Definitely think I will look for a cheap turbo wheel to save the hassle each time.

To save money, I will just change the casette over each time. I can do that in a matter of minutes whereas changing the tyre was an absolute faff and a pain to get on.
  • Hi

+1 for the spare wheel option.
    Much easier than swopping a conti hometrainer tyre over, as once it's on you won't have to put it on again!