6ft 7 new guy

TheOrangeBox
TheOrangeBox Posts: 12
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hi guys/girls

Just testing the water realy. I am looking for a road bike to work on my cardio as i am joining the army in november.

I am 6ft 7 ish so would prob need the largest frame. I have been looking in bike shops on the way to work and i am not sure what i am surpposed to be looking for so this is where you guys come in i have about 500 max to spend but could go a little over or a secand hand job.

Josh

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You should get plenty more than a second hand job, I'd wager at least an eighth or ninth for £500! :shock:

Heh heh...

Best thing to do is go in to a few shops and speak to them, see what they have.
  • You should be able to get a very large old frame very easily, back in the olden days when men were men and all they seemed to make an awful lot of huge frames, 23", 24", 25" are easily available. At least they are the ones that seem to survive the best because no one is big enough to ride them. Have a look on ebay or round some local bike shops.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    I'm 6'4" - a bit of a short @rse, compared to you! why restrict yourself to a road bike? If you can pick up a GT or Trek in a 22" frame size ands shod it with slicks, the world's your lobster! eBay is good if you know what you're after, a minefield if u don't - happy shopping, big fella!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Watch out as well, i assume army training will involve a lot of running and not much cycling. I can cycle for miles at a fair speed but if i try and run it's a disater.
    You don't wanna caine it on the bike, arrive thinking your super fit, then end up puffed out with hurting knees after level 5 of the bleep test :wink::)
  • You will need to do some running as well, plus it also depends on which part you are going to, as it might help to get up to running with some weight in a back pack too.
  • Thanks for the replys guys. I am doing plentey of running and cuicuit trainging. Just wanted to mixs things up a bit. hopefully going to get into the bike shops today. would i be right in saying a 62-63 size frame is what i am loking for.
  • Lonzy
    Lonzy Posts: 26
    I'm 6"6 (possibly a bit under and I use a 63, which seems about right. But it's your inside leg that matters, the size of your chest, for example, shouldn't affect how tall you want your frame
  • Sicknote wrote:
    You will need to do some running as well, plus it also depends on which part you are going to, as it might help to get up to running with some weight in a back pack too.

Be careful with that though. I used to run to work once or twice a week (6 miles in and 6 out) with a rucksack with my work stuff in. I ended up with a stress fracture in my shin bone. Apparently the mileage + the extra weight of the pack was too much for my bones and cracks appeared. Stress fractures take aaaaaages to heal as well, we're talking a year or 2 before you can go back to the same mileage as before. I work with a guy who was a Captain in the army and he says they're quite common due to the tough training with heavyweight packs
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Sicknote wrote:
    You will need to do some running as well, plus it also depends on which part you are going to, as it might help to get up to running with some weight in a back pack too.

Be careful with that though. I used to run to work once or twice a week (6 miles in and 6 out) with a rucksack with my work stuff in. I ended up with a stress fracture in my shin bone. Apparently the mileage + the extra weight of the pack was too much for my bones and cracks appeared. Stress fractures take aaaaaages to heal as well, we're talking a year or 2 before you can go back to the same mileage as before. I work with a guy who was a Captain in the army and he says they're quite common due to the tough training with heavyweight packs

You are right and I have had them, not nice.
    You dont run all the time with weight but have to do it sometime or will find it hard when you have too.
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANNONDALE-CAAD7- ... 286.c0.m14 saw this a couple of days ago seems perfect but not sure any input guys?
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Few aluminium frames are as respected as Cannondale, but this one looks a bit on the small side to me.