saddle/bikeposition, basically im a bit uncomfortable

MrTapir
MrTapir Posts: 1,206
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
hello all

Ive been riding my road bike (09 allez elite) for about 3 months now and im finding the saddle position quite uncomfortable, namely that i start off plonking my sit bones on the back of the saddle and then as i ride (ive got clip-in pedals) i gradually move forward until my soft special area is taking the weight rather than my sit bones.

Ive been trying out different positioning on the bike and ive moved the bars slightly higher which has improved it a little bit, also the saddle is all the way forward in the clamp and ive got a inline seat post. This has resulted in some improvement , but im only really ever on the sit bones up a climb.

Im thinking about getting a flatter saddle thats a bit wider at the back like a spesh toupe or something cos the stock one just doesnt feel right. However ive been doing some internet research and found some stuff that says its not the saddle, its your position that is more at fault.

anyone else got some sage words or first hand experience with this kind of thing.

Cheers, Rich

Comments

• you could try a shorter stem

but i dont really think that modern road bikes are designed for Tapirs? :lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Have you looked at the angle of the saddle - if it's tilted forward it will tend to throw you forward
  • Pay cold, hard cash for a proper bike fitting. It's money well spent. Mine cost £85 here

http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk

But there are plenty of other places that offer a similar service. Do a forum search on here and you'll find loads of threads and suggestions.

For my cash I got a detailed 2 1/2 hour fitting session and it's like voodoo - immediately cured my hitherto chronic back and neck pain while riding.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell