Excentriker

v23
v23 Posts: 217
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Anyone ever used one of these?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=18255&src=lfgss

It would seem ideal when trying to create a clean SS. I've always resisted with my Privateer because I just don't like the look of chain tensioners.

Thoughts?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope. just used a half link chain, way cheaper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • half link chain is cheaper, if you get lucky and/or spend the time to work out the golden ratio

I looked at the excentricker when building my current SS (figuring it would expand my frame choice) but it's not cheap so really didn;t give me much of an advantage. Plus I have heard that they can be a bit of a pain to keep tight, but that's from forum reports and not direct exp. Frankly, unless It was a *very* expensive frame, I wouldn't bother. A slot dropout inbred frame is cheaper than the exentriker

tbh, I'd start with a halflink, you may get lucky. If you're a little off, adjust the gearing (my old one was too loose at 32:16 but with a 1/2 link out was perfect at 32:15) You can also file off your axle threads into a teardrop shape, which gives you a very slight amount of adjustment by rotating the axle in the dropout. Depends on the hubs you have and you can't put the metal back on once you've filed it off, so it is possible to get in trouble doing this, but it helped my set-up

another solution (not a cheaper one though) is the white industries ENO eccentric hub.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • v23
    Thanks for that. Very interesting. I'll have a look at this half link business.
  • nicklouse
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12611188

My SS bike with halflink chain and 32:15 combo.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • v23
    Sorry to go on...

Could you explain to me how this half link jobby works and also how I can calculate the chain length?

Thanks ever so much.
  • nicklouse
    have a look in the FAQs for a SS topic and also on Sheldon Browns pages.

a half link can be seen on the link you gave. you only need one in a chain but you can get whole chains made from them.