cold feet

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
still wearing my only pair of bike shoes... need some insulated ones. It's come down to Sidi Diablo or Shimano MW80's

tried various covers. They wear a hole at the front with walking and are a bit of a fiddle for nipping out here are there.

any advice from other users welcome...
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    Just from the picture they look a little too warm for my liking :shock:
  • Just bring this to the fore again... this was the first 'fresh' ride in since Spring.

I had to get the tights, full finger gloves and long sleeve top out for the first time - everything was spot on (as in slightly warm) except for my toes.

So, what suggestions do people have for keeping just your feet warm:

Shoes (spd), socks? Overshoes are overkill at the moment - I have some for the really cold days though
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Cheap option: something like Sealskinz thermal socks

Not as cheap option: Winter boots with Gore tex type fabric and thermal lining.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • R_T_A wrote:
    Cheap option: something like Sealskinz thermal socks

Not as cheap option: Winter boots with Gore tex type fabric and thermal lining.

I **know** I'm being lazy, but do you have any recommended examples? :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Just bring this to the fore again... this was the first 'fresh' ride in since Spring.

I had to get the tights, full finger gloves and long sleeve top out for the first time - everything was spot on (as in slightly warm) except for my toes.

Shoes (spd), socks? Overshoes are overkill at the moment - I have some for the really cold days though

What's wrong with overshoes, I wear mine year round in rain and are ideal for warming. Unless you have those very snug neoprene style ones I can't see why they're not the obvious solution.
  • Aguila wrote:
    Just bring this to the fore again... this was the first 'fresh' ride in since Spring.

What's wrong with overshoes, I wear mine year round in rain and are ideal for warming. Unless you have those very snug neoprene style ones I can't see why they're not the obvious solution.

What is the alternative to snug neoprene ones? I've had 2 pairs of Endura snug neoprene ones and the zips failed on all 4 of them within a couple of months so now I just wear thick walking socks and they make a huge difference, but you still feel the cold as you get close to freezing. Have often wondered if someone makes a sock with like a sealed/windproof toebox, because it is presumably the cold wind from forward momentum that drains the heat from your toes.
  • Sealskinz are the business, keep your toes toasty.
    For the really cold, I have them and goretex boots.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

• :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Thats the funniest thing I've seen for ages. Simple yet devistating............
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Right, now I've stopped laughing and picked myself up off the floor, what is a recommended winter boot? I'm in the market for a pair and I'll probably be going to look at some Shimano MW08's this weekend, if they are in stock. Other than that, its the Northwaves, but as my LBS gives us 10% and stocks Shimano shoes, it might be them...
  • goretex shoes are the only thing that actually works in my experience, i'd imagine gore-tex overshoes would work as well.

I have almost identical pairs of shoes one with gore-tex and one without, the difference is like siberia and the sahara...
  • fenboy369 wrote:
    Right, now I've stopped laughing and picked myself up off the floor, what is a recommended winter boot? I'm in the market for a pair and I'll probably be going to look at some Shimano MW08's this weekend, if they are in stock. Other than that, its the Northwaves, but as my LBS gives us 10% and stocks Shimano shoes, it might be them...

I have these from a few years ago..... superb. Jusrt wish i brought them with me at the weekend!!

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/Northwave/Celsius%20GTX%20winter%20MTB%20shoe%2008/09/12076/index.aspx
  • I seem to recall mountain bike mags raving about an ugly boot called a Lake I think? They admitted it looked hideous, but nothing came close for keeping your feet warm.
  • R_T_A
    fenboy369 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pure genius :lol::lol:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • R_T_A wrote:
    fenboy369 wrote:

can't wait to use it on someone... Is there an easier way of prepping the link than overwriting the existing URL? (and please don't send the answer via the same thing!)
  • R_T_A
    salsajake wrote:
    R_T_A wrote:
    fenboy369 wrote:

can't wait to use it on someone... Is there an easier way of prepping the link than overwriting the existing URL? (and please don't send the answer via the same thing!)

Just take off the query and you type in the question - it generates the code for you.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    salsajake wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

What is the alternative to snug neoprene ones? I've had 2 pairs of Endura snug neoprene ones and the zips failed on all 4 of them within a couple of months so now I just wear thick walking socks and they make a huge difference, but you still feel the cold as you get close to freezing. Have often wondered if someone makes a sock with like a sealed/windproof toebox, because it is presumably the cold wind from forward momentum that drains the heat from your toes.

I have some goretex ones for spd shoes, they fit great are completely waterproof and give a nice balance of warm but not overheating
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Can I hijack this thread more in a socky direction? Warm, winter commuting socks, not Assos-priced - are the DeFeet ones still the most highly sought after? Since I have run out of bike stuff to buy, I thought I could justify spending a wee bit more on socks than I normally do :)
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    biondino wrote:
    Can I hijack this thread more in a socky direction? Warm, winter commuting socks, not Assos-priced - are the DeFeet ones still the most highly sought after? Since I have run out of bike stuff to buy, I thought I could justify spending a wee bit more on socks than I normally do :)

I just wear thick hiking socks and it helps a lot, they aren't thermal or bike specific, but my feet are certainly warmer in them
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sealskinz..... simply superb.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Overshoes - I've had no success using these to keep my feet warm as such. They are great for keeping a bit of dampness off

Winter Boots - I've used the Northwave Celcius for a couple of years. I re waterproofed the gortex liner this year and they seem to be leak proof again.

Socks - I do like the big hiking socks but you need a larger size of shoe or they restrict the circulation. I got a bunch of fancy merino middle weight socks for xmas one year. These were fabulous but wore out quickly. The sealskinz socks are nice, they are windproof but the breathabilty isn't good and they take an AGE to dry out after washing
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    SealSkinz and overboots cover all weathers for me. The socks aren't cheap but they do work.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I had overshoes last year and despite keeping my feet warm I didn't really get on with them. They had cutouts for the tread on my MTB shoes to stick out of but the holes weren't really big enough/in the right place so most of the time I was walking on part of the overshoe and it wore down and became tatty very quickly. Need to make sure I get a pair that fit properly over the shoes this year or better yet, winter boots. If only I had £100 to drop on a pair. Isn't it funny that the missus won't think twice about buying another pair of more or less identical shoes but the moment I want another pair for purely practical reason I "don't need them".
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    pst88 wrote:
    If only I had £100 to drop on a pair. Isn't it funny that the missus won't think twice about buying another pair of more or less identical shoes but the moment I want another pair for purely practical reason I "don't need them".

lol! I have/had the same problem. I just ordered a pair and the argument when they arrived. My reply is that cycling to work saves us £120 a month on fuel so I can justify spending any of that on my bike! :wink: Needless to say it doesnt work all the time :oops:
    Anyway, I digress....

Shimano MW80's, had mine for about a month, got them from Chain Reaction, ordered on a Friday lunchtime at 1.30, arrived with Saturday mornings post. Faster than a very fast thing from Fastville. The shoes are v.comfy. And v.warm. Unless its under 7 or 8 degrees my feet are hot after a 15 mile/50 min ride. Had three wet rides, 1 tipping it down, and 2 light drizzle but loads of road spray. All times I have had 'damp-ish' feet, but not wet. And not cold either. I'm going to spray the neoprene top bit with Grangers to see if that makes a difference, but even so, they a proper bo pair of shoes. Much better for winter than my summer shoes.....