Stupid problem - grips moving right

billysan
billysan Posts: 575
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Ive got a slightly odd problem on my mountain bike. When Im riding off road, both grips slowly work their way to the right. Ie the left ones moves in, and the right one moves out, probably about 1cm every 15 mins or so. They dont spin when you hold them, and provide a good solid contact point.

The obvious answer is that my stem is not straight, but it is, checked and rechecked by my self and others, but it still does it.

The bike tracks straight, nothing is bent, so why does it happen?

(I know lock on grips are probably the answer, but I like the onza ules Im using. Have never found anything else I prefer!!)

Im getting quite bored of having to get off and reposition them 3 or 4 times a ride.

Comments

• You're right, it is a bit unusual that they creep in the same direction.

All I can think of is the same old answer - Take them off, thoroughly clean the inside surface of the grips and the bars, then put them back on using enamel paint.

Or, take a tip from golfers - Spiral wind some double sided tape on the bars, cover it in white spirit then slide the grip on. Rock solid, doesn't leave a mess like paint does, sets up a bit faster too.

Obv. be careful when working with white spirit - Irritant, flammable yadda yadda yadda.
  • Another good option is take them off and spray the insides with hairspray and replace, you have to wait a while for them to dry though.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Always use spit meself. Biodegradeable, environmentally friendly, FREE :D
  • I like the idea of the tape and white spirit, might give that a go.

Im just curious as to why they both go the same way. Its obviously a technique thing, after all the bike doesnt exert any force of them to move them when Im not holding the bars!!

Cheers!
  • Another good option is take them off and spray the insides with hairspray and replace, you have to wait a while for them to dry though.

An old skool trick, ive been doing this for years or at least i was before i had a ten year break lol, just make sure you dont use very much otherwise it never seems to dry, cheaper hairspray seems to work better for some reason too, tends to be stickier!
    "Don't ask the reasons why cos there arent any, don't follow convention, never say no, just believe in what you see and let the good times roll!"
  • My question wasnt necessarily about sticking the grips, it was about why they both move to the right??
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Do you tend to ride the same trail? and if so, does it have more left turns than it does right?

If you spend most of your time turning left then the grips will be pushed right.

Or thinking about it maybe they would be pulled to the Right while turning Right, dunno... :)

But either way, If they always seem to slide the same direction then it could just be because to spend more time turning in one direction than the other.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • billysan wrote:
    My question wasnt necessarily about sticking the grips, it was about why they both move to the right??
    No idea! Fixie slippy, no more worry ;)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I use micropore, very thin paper-like tape. Depending on the bar thickness, 2 to 4 wraps.
    Follow this with cheap hairspray, and Hey-Presto, grips that King Kong would use!

Being married to a Nurse helps with my micropore supply...

Only problem is getting them off. Leaves really sticky mess, but that's what kept your grips in place, so just be careful getting them off.
  • Perhaps your saddle isn't straight? If it is turned slightly one way or the other then it might mean that you are sliding your grips down the bar... or maybe your handlebars are bent?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dont faff about with hairspray and all those other mince solutions......

lock-on grips are where it is at......
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.