Would we be mad to climb Mont Ventoux on November 29th?

adamrejzl
adamrejzl Posts: 42
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

Myself and a couple of buddies are trying to arrange a long weekend of riding down in France. Ideally we would like to hit Mont Ventoux on the 29th of November.

Does anyone have any experience of the mountain in November, is it more likely to be close than open? are the winds going to be dangerously high? That sort of thing basically.

Any advice will be very greatfully received.

Thanks

Adam

EDIT - its the 29th actually, my bad.
Kona Caldera
Giant Escape

Comments

• I cant see it being pleasant,checking the skiers weather sites might be your best bet.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    The winds were dangerously high and with wind-chill it was well below zero when I did it in August a couple of years ago.

On the other hand, I know someone who nearly passed-out through heat exhaustion a couple of weeks later.

It can vary day-by-day, be different in the morning to the afternoon.

Yes get a forecast, but I think you'll have to review it when you get there.

A few people on here have recommended VeloVentoux as a very good local operator - why not Google them, get an email or phone number and ask their advice ?
  • Thanks for the tips guys, I think we've decided to delay Mont Ventoux until Spring.

Anyone have any suggestions for a nice couple of days riding in November?
    Kona Caldera
    Giant Escape
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Anything over 2000m presents a serious risk of bad weather and even snow in mountainous areas. I'd head to the far south around Nice, the Cote D'Azur and the Alps Maritime - if it's grim up high, you can stick to the coast roads.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..