looking for hills, in essex, hert or sufolk

explosifpete
explosifpete Posts: 1,327
edited September 2009 in Training, fitness and health
I know i'm not gonna find much but I want to find some nice trainning hills within 40 of braintree essex (where i live anyone know of anything?

Comments

• so it is completly flat then, i'll work on my sprint :D
  • There's a thread on here, i remember it from a few weeks ago - have a search.

The steepest hill i know is near Epping Forest: Mott Street or Avey Lane to High Beech. Not very long but pretty steep.

In fact, I only heard about it form the previous thread. Try searching for High Beech.
  • The is North Hill in Little Baddow nr Chelmsford

There is also a hill in Laindon or nr there I believe but I am unsure of the name of it at the moment.

Yes I have heard Epping area has a/some hills.
  • Langdon Hills (B1007) between Horndon on the hill and Basildon

About 10-12% at its max
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Hills in Suffolk??
    There are no such things ..... sadly :cry:
    exercise.png
  • I live in Wickford, when i go out in direction of East Hanningfield and all around South Woodham there are a few hill there. Some are a bit steep (for me anyway).
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • As has already been posted here, the best climbs in Essex are all up to High Beach in the middle of Epping Forest.

Mott Street (heading east from Sewardstone) is the hardest:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3210359
    The proper climb starts just after the junction with Lippits Hill. You get a steep bit, then it levels out, then it gets a bit steeper, then the end is the steepest bit (about 1 in 8 ).

You could also go up Avey Lane or Lippits Hill, but these are not quite as steep or relentless (even if you end up climbing to the same height). Also coming south from the A121 to High Beech (the road appears to be called Claypit Hill) is a bit of tasty climb. Basically you could do a series of loops based on High Beach and take in several climbs.
  • There certainly ARE hills in suffolk - semer hill is pretty good just out of Hadleigh, and theres a few more. Only a couple of minutes but proper steep
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    flange. wrote:
    There certainly ARE hills in suffolk - semer hill is pretty good just out of Hadleigh, and theres a few more. Only a couple of minutes but proper steep

Anything I can sprint up is not a hill in my book :D
    exercise.png