Boardman hybrid pro sqealing rear brake

parkesy
parkesy Posts: 5
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Hi My first post here so Hi to all .
Having read the review of the boardman Hybrid pro here by Dave Atkinson , i noticed that sqealing rear brake problems were mentioned .
I have that problem with a bike purchased in april 09 . Halfords deny there is a problem with the bike and have tried to fob me off with its a dust problem . I do all my own bike maintenance and iam sure the brake is set up perfectly , i have even tried softer organic pads which made little difference except the sound was different .I have 2 other bikes with avid brakes so Iam used to servicing them and setting them up .

Most recently halfords have asked me to return the bike for them to look at , but I want to gather all the info i can first . From research on the net and Dave Atkinsons comments i believe that the rear stays were modified on the 09 models and the problem was with the 08 bikes .
Can anyone tell me what exactly was changed and how I can tell what year my bike is . I wonder if its an 08 model that was left in stock ??
I would be pleased to hear from any other owners who have had the problem

Comments

• I have an 09 model that soon developed squeaky rears. I just took it in for a 6 week checkup, and they told me the cleaned the rear brakes and it was dirt/dust causing the noise.. For a few days it was fine, but the squealing is starting to return.
  • anj747 wrote:
    I have an 09 model that soon developed squeaky rears. I just took it in for a 6 week checkup, and they told me the cleaned the rear brakes and it was dirt/dust causing the noise.. For a few days it was fine, but the squealing is starting to return.

Yes same for me . Its not really a sqealing from the brake its more of a vibration , so bad that you tend to stand up off the seat due to the vibration coming up the stays .
    I guess this is where we suffer for halfords poor knowlege .

Any more info would be gratefully recieved :idea:
  • I had the problem with this on a cheap set of cable operated disc brakes.

The following worked for me.

Slacken off the caliper slightly and offset it VERY slightly so the pad does not perfectly align with the disc, the effect then is that one edge of the pad touched the disc before the other. Try to make it the clockwise (trailing) side of the pad touching first. If it does not work it is simple to put it back as it was. You may need to slightly back off the pad to allow this without getting constant rubbing.

Oh. and don't forget to retighten the caliper ones aligned :wink: