tyres too big for the rim?

Panter
Panter Posts: 299
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I've ordered some 2.35 minions for a new build.

However, I've just discovered my rims are rated for tyres up to 2.125.

will they be Ok?
Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)

Comments

• Panter
    Ones an Alex TA19, the other is a Mavic 321
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 321 will be fine, but the TA19 may make the profile too round. This can make it more liable to roll off the rim.
  • Panter
    Ok, thanks for that.

Is there any way to tell if it will be too round without hurting myself? or should I just scrap it and get something more suitable?
    Is it worth buying another rim and then rebuilding the wheel with a wider rim or will it be a headache tring to match the spokes etc?

Sorry for all the questions, this bike build is a hell of a learning curve for someone who knows beggar all like myself ............ :oops:

Cheers

Chris :)
  • supersonic
    I'd just get narrower tyres.

Building a new rim on is very expensive.
  • Panter
    There's the snag you see....

I'm a big lad, so have gone for the biggest tyres I thought I could get away with.
    I only paid £10.00 for the Alex wheel so I'd rather get another wheel to suit the tyre.

I do have another Mavic wheel, but it is for 20mm thru-axle.
    I have heard rumours of adaptors, are they any good or would I be better looking out for a cheap, larger rimmed wheel?

I'm building an all-mountain bike on a tight budget as I just want to see if I like it really (long story) hence the cheapskateing :oops:

Thanks for the help,

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    2mm rim width is negligible TBH, I've had 2.55 (29er granted) on narrow rims and never had an issue- Plus Maxxis Minions are a wee bit small for their stated size- Go for it, it wont be an issue.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Panter
    Well, that would save some hassle if they will be Ok :D

Cheers,

• what 20mm hub is your other wheel? Some are adaptable and those ones are fine. There are no generic adapters afaik.

I'd listen to SS about rims and that, he knows of what he speaks...
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Panter
    Ok, thanks for that.

The hub is a Cannondale thru 12.

A quick Google search has revealed no adaptor kits but I must admit I don't really know what I'm looking for....
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    IMO i would just have a go at it, take a spin around the street before a ride to test it, the worst that will happen is that the inner tube will whip out of the tyre and you have to get a new tube after its punctured =]
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"
  • Panter
    I could do that, but I imagine that it may be fine on a test ride but could still come off the rim on a rocky descent or a fast corner?

Trouble is, this bike is all about building confidence and I don't want the thought of a tyre failure in the back of my mind.

Hmmm, I think I've just answered my last question!

Cheers,

chris :)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Nothing bad will happen, all that will change (and VERY slightly!) is the profile of the tyre will be a different. As I said, Maxxis Minion is like a large 2.1 tyre by say Kenda. Stick the tyre on and it WILL be fine, despite earlier comments, it NOT just sonic who has the answer...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Panter
    Ok, thanks Ratty.

Sorry, didn't mean any offense, it's just that I have on idea whatsoever and it's hard to know what to do when faced with differing opinions from experienced folk...

I'll stick it on then, that does save a lot of hassle and, of course, further expense.

Thanks for the help,

• grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I agree with ratty2k - I have run 2.5 tyres on 719 rims which are only recommended for up to 2.3. Never had a problem at all during a week in the alps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    grumsta wrote:
    I agree with ratty2k - I have run 2.5 tyres on 719 rims which are only recommended for up to 2.3. Never had a problem at all during a week in the alps.
    That's quite a difference from runnning 2.5"s on a 2.125" rim though.
    I'd have thought the 2.125" compatible rim is probably meant for towpath type tyres.
  • supersonic
    I wasn't saying it would be catastrophic lol, just to be careful! Personally I would probably go a little narrower, but as they do come up narrow anyway, you may be fine.

The 19 with the Alex rim is the depth, not the width.
  • Panter
    Cool, thanks for that, I'll let you know how it looks.

Mind you, I've just phoned the bike shop to see how they're going with the rear wheel rebuild and there's a chance that the hubs knackered, but they won't know until they speak to the mechanic tomorrow.

Hopefully it'll be Ok, but if not, I'm going to set the build back by a month and just get a new pair of wheels.
    Then I can get some that will run up to 2.5's for future use.

Thanks again for the help all 8)

Chris