chainset and bb upgrade

hmmmm
hmmmm Posts: 3
edited September 2009 in Workshop
I've been upgrading various bits of my Specialized Allez since I bought it in 2008 and quite enjoy ebay bargain hunting. I now want to upgrade the chainset to something a bit lighter and smarter. Can I swap the Sora triple for a reasonably recent 105 or Ultegra double without too much hassle? What BB would I need? I've changed BBs and chinsets before but only like for like. Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of (I've already got double 105 shifters waiting to go!).
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most decent chainsets these days utilise external bearing BBs - just get the one that matches the chainset of your choice. I'm not a big fan of SRAM GXP - seem to be the weakest of the bunch - I wore one out within 6 months.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    as monty said - most modern are external - for Shimano that meant hollowtech2 - FSA make a similar system called 'mega-exo' - they both use the same 24mm std and similar bearings and they both need the same tools (although FSA also used to do a 19mm version before people seemed to standardise)

they are very very easy to fit - especially the FSA ones in my experience (fitted mega-exo, HT2 and campags Ultra-torque (which is slightly different))

as well as ebay - check out Chain Reaction Cycles at the moment they have some nice reductions on FSA parts - I got a chainset (older 19mm one but it came with a BB) for £39 the other week - they had ones at £29 too and a very nice 'team edition' model at £69.99 which was a pretty hefty reduction and might be a decent upgrade on an allez.
  • If you are interested I have a Chorus 8) 53/39 complete with BB and spare 53/39 rings.

Best to go down the Campag square taper route IMHO

But saying that I did buy the following c/set from CRC...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41435

£230 saving - bouns

:wink:
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Thanks for the advice. Been looking on the CRC website and cannot beleive the reductions on FSA chainsets. Would a "10 speed" chainset still be OK with a none speed set up? surely the teeth are the same pitch but what about the width? Would I just need a new chain or are they compatible anyway.
    Thanks
  • The crankset referenced above is also available in 9 spd.
    If I'm not mistaken, the difference is the width.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i always thought chainsets were pretty much "speed independant" - but read somewhere recently that one of the FSA chainsets could be changed from 10 to 9 speed by turning around the inner chainring - i imagine this to change the distance between rings to make it shift properly on 9 speed.

can anyone clarify for sure?
  • hmmmm wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. Been looking on the CRC website and cannot beleive the reductions on FSA chainsets. Would a "10 speed" chainset still be OK with a none speed set up? surely the teeth are the same pitch but what about the width? Would I just need a new chain or are they compatible anyway.
    Thanks

When I brought the c/set from CRC I had the choice of SHIMANO compatible 9 or 10 speed, I run a Campag Chrous drivetrain and just opted for the S10 version anyhow. Why don't they make a CAMPAGNOLO compatible version ? Surely there can't be that much in it :roll: :?
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • I used to run a '10 speed' FSA Gossamer crank on a 9 speed Allez, no problems at all.

They're one of those 'backwards compatible' things like derailleurs, eg in most cases you could run a 10 speed derailleur on an 7/8/9 speed bike but not the other way round.
    Alex
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    When I brought the c/set from CRC I had the choice of SHIMANO compatible 9 or 10 speed, I run a Campag Chrous drivetrain and just opted for the S10 version anyhow. Why don't they make a CAMPAGNOLO compatible version ? Surely there can't be that much in it
    The only real difference between Campag and Shimano compatable is the BCD and as more after market rings are available in 130mm you are wise to go with the Shimano compatable one. Also means you can run a 38 tooth inner ring if you want.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    broachboy wrote:
    If you are interested I have a Chorus 8) 53/39 complete with BB and spare 53/39 rings.

Best to go down the Campag square taper route IMHO

Yes, I'm using old campag Centaur chainsets with sq taper campag BBs on my otherwise Shimano equipped bikes. I think the old school look is nicer somehow.

Funny how this "old technology" doesn't seem to squeak or creak and lasts for ages even in winter conditions :wink:

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."