Hadleigh castle

jpstar
jpstar Posts: 561
edited September 2010 in Routes
Hi,
I know that Hadleigh castle is going to the be the site of the 2012 Olympic XC, but...
Looking on Google Earth and the like, I cant seem to find any "obvious" trails. Should it just be a chance of get out and explore or is there anywhere that anyone knows of?

Cheers for any help

Comments

• thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    did you have a look at this ?... there are a few paths, I haven't cycled over there in 12 years so no idea what it's like..... http://www.hadleighcountrypark.co.uk/Images/InsideMap.jpg but if you venture out I would love to know how you got on :?

Kevin
  • jpstar
    Went yesterday. I found it hard to get there mainly because I went the wrong way out of Leigh-on-sea station and had to find a river crossing. But, if you can get there the riding is fantastic. Can definitely see why its been chosen for the Olympics. It's truly fantastic..... if you can find the places....
  • thewaiter
    I'll have to try it out, I used to live in Benfleet but haven;t been over the cycling for years as anoooobie I was over your way ( Langon Hills ) last week... really enjoyed it there
  • jpstar
    oh right, where abouts did you go? theres lots of areas there aswell, expecially if you head up past the farmers fields :D even a short DH blast
  • thewaiter
    I was following a few others ...... from the car park bear right past the visitors centre and head out 'miles' from there ...... :oops: very enjoyable ....
  • Theres also a good short downhill bit if you go to the level crossing and from there head back towards the gate directly opposite and head straight up. Its great fun on a summer evening with your mates, oh and the rabbits running everywhere :D
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i can never find anything of any intrest over there? we cycle lots of paths near the castle and the train line Etc. no idea how there gonna make it into a olimpic cycling venue its just not big or steep enough?

Am i missing something?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Just been there exploring and found a very gnarly lil downhill section, I was quite impressed, although pushing ya bike back up again is a pain.

I was messing about with my new phone so I've got pix and maps if anyone is interested ?

Andy
  • hadleigh park is ok as part of a bigger route but on its own its pretty poor. theres lots of good places to ride around there to add to it. 8)
    one life live it!
  • Well..I wasnt sure if I was actually in Hadleigh Park area, but I think the DH bit i found was, but between Leigh and Benfleet there are some good routes esp if you stick to the hilly side nearer London Road (A13).
  • been riding around hockley woods and cherry orchard park. some good single track over there.
    one life live it!
  • Hi all - I'm a newbie to the forum......

I'm from Westcliff and often end up out on my own. Does anyone here know of any regular meets around Hadleigh or Langdon Hills. Or maybe even up for starting one or two?
  • hey Muddy Hockley Woods is my local haunt... your not the miserable bugger wearing a blue top who never says hello are you :wink::lol: .....

as for Hadleigh i did pop over there a couple of weeks ago.... only managed around 8 miles but there are some pretty good blow out climbs :oops: ..... a longer route would be to start in St Mary's Road and cross the park area to Leigh on sea station and back again....... think that would be a good work out and one I'll be looking to do shortly.
  • Nah not me alway say hello, have to look out for miserable bugger in blue! :D
    one life live it!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    My mate lives next to the little dirt road that goes into the football bit (Plumberow Mt Ave?)

Is this the entrance to Hockley Woods or should i go in somewhere else?
  • I enter from the farmers field as i come across them from leigh.
    one life live it!
  • BigJimmy B

nope the main entrance to Hockley woods is next to the Bull pub along aldermans hill.....

But there is a route I do via Plumberow, if you head up Plumberow through the unmade road part, turn left along Lower Road and then, after a mile, turn left into Church road.. there is a reasonable climb to warm the legs up.... Don't go under the rail bridge though make a right turn down Murrels Lane and follow the unmade road round to the equestian area.... there is a small wood with a style that takes you across the rail line and head up through farm land to Aldermans hill ... I prefer this route as it's a better work out... then from the top of the hill turn right and head to Bullwood hall..... and cross Hockley woods from there. If you head out towards Cherry orchard way and back that s 20 miler :D

Kevin
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    thewaiter wrote:
    BigJimmy B

nope the main entrance to Hockley woods is next to the Bull pub along aldermans hill.....

But there is a route I do via Plumberow, if you head up Plumberow through the unmade road part, turn left along Lower Road and then, after a mile, turn left into Church road.. there is a reasonable climb to warm the legs up.... Don't go under the rail bridge though make a right turn down Murrels Lane and follow the unmade road round to the equestian area.... there is a small wood with a style that takes you across the rail line and head up through farm land to Aldermans hill ... I prefer this route as it's a better work out... then from the top of the hill turn right and head to Bullwood hall..... and cross Hockley woods from there. If you head out towards Cherry orchard way and back that s 20 miler :D

Kevin

Blimey - thanks Kevin..

Any GPS routes for this out there?

BJB
  • errrmmm no.... sorry.
  • Try google earth. You will be amazed how big that area is for riding. :D
    one life live it!
  • andydd
    andydd Posts: 9
    It looks like work has started on the track/course, I assume that the orange ta[pe/fences that can be seen are going to be the track ?
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    My route was near the Colchester Barracks, behind the Zoo, near Olivers farm.
    Then, other bridleways, Grymms Dyke and various deserted footpaths.

Also, some stuff by the firing range, Stanway gravel pits, and the heath area near the reservoir. Just followed my nose.

In fact, I had a "Riders Routes" printed in MBUK or MBI back in early 90's in that area.

Used to start from Marks Tey, and go over the railway line, then just have FUN !!!

Essex maybe "Flat", but there's some great off-road riding, if you look closely...
  • thewaiter
    Splottboy wrote:
    My route was near the Colchester Barracks, behind the Zoo, near Olivers farm.
    Then, other bridleways, Grymms Dyke and various deserted footpaths.

Also, some stuff by the firing range, Stanway gravel pits, and the heath area near the reservoir. Just followed my nose.

In fact, I had a "Riders Routes" printed in MBUK or MBI back in early 90's in that area.

Used to start from Marks Tey, and go over the railway line, then just have FUN !!!

Essex maybe "Flat", but there's some great off-road riding, if you look closely...

? .....

I'm heading over to Hadleigh tomorrow morning i'll have a look
  • thewaiter
    yup looks like it....
  • Hi, I regularly go over Hadleigh Castle and the best riding is in the Country Park and not near the castle itself. I went over a few weeks ago and the building is well underway for the olympic course. If you stand at the castle facing the train line and look West you can see a winding section on the side of the next hill along. They seem to have got some very steep sections and also built a tunnel/bridge aswell. A few people have mentioned the small downhill section near the level crossing. This is normally part of my route but they have blocked the top section off with cut down trees. The main part of the downhill doesn't look like its included in the route (maybe it will be as the build goes on). Up at the top behind the cut down trees (not that I went in there) there is a massive drop off that leads in to a berm round a tree.
    I know people have been moaning about the course being built in one of the flattest parts of the country but the longest decent is going to be 85m compared to 80m in Sydney and 50m in Beijing so its looking like it will be challenging.
    I hope that 2 years of disruption to my normal route is worth it and they leave the course in.
  • Hio all.

Yes, as the above post pointed out the last/steep section of the gnarly DH blast has been shut off, but there is still lots to enjoy ay Hadleigh Castle Park, I've recently got Sports Tracker working on my Nokia N97 so here is my route.

It goes from Benfleet station to Leigh station, maximising DH and hopefully minimising uphill (coz I'm lazy) but of course there is still some uphill.

In the middle part I branch off towards the Shipwrights Drive, Chapel Lane entraces, I've found some quite nice DH bits there.

Anyway anyone fancy m,eeting up sometime, just let me know.

Hadleigh Castle (Downhill) Route

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 5&t=h&z=14

Andy
  • Noticed today that the Olympic route is going to join up with the existing path/tracks...I went past a sign saying bits of the track would be closed between 20-25th Sep, I took advantage of the removal of some strys and fences and had a quick run.