Help with clipless for the Mrs..

Squillinossett
Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Well one week until Mrs.Squill's new Orbea is here...

Were looking at clipless pedals for her, and have decided it might be easier for her to learn on SPD's over SL's. (This is what I started on on the MTB)

could some one point out some good (cheap) shoes for her to use with them?

will just be using the £20 shimano ones Pedal wise.

Cheers guys

Comments

• Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Depends how cheap. These get rave reviews and I like them £42.49)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_R ... 360042950/
  • Too late, in this short time she has ended up with some Bontrager RL WSD as she loved the look of them....

Managed to get off the old ebay fairly cheap.

Now, she is going to have to use SPD SL with these isnt she as normal SPD's wont fit?
  • You're correct. She will have to use spd-sl pedals with those. Mrs. Squill be cleaning those shoes after every ride no doubt!!!
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I wish my Mrs would ride her bike more :cry:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited September 2009
    Ouch. I hope she can skate. Those shoes will look and feel rubbish with those. Get her some nice SLs.
  • I was thinking the double sided action of SPD's would be an advantage when she is learning, as I still sometimes fails to engage the cleat on SL's!

What would you say are the best "starter" SL's? im using Keo easy ATM, but might give her those and get some RXS for me!
  • John.T
    I was thinking the double sided action of SPD's would be an advantage when she is learning, as I still sometimes fails to engage the cleat on SL's!
    I would agree with you but she has already got those shoes. The SPD cleat and those adapters would make large lumps under her feet that would be difficult to walk in at all. I think clipping in may be more difficult than with normal SPD shoes. That is just a guess. I could well be wrong.
    I like SLs rather than Look etc as they are IMO the best to walk in and are very long lasting cleats. As for clipping in and out, I have only used Look Delta and SL. I find very little difference. I find the later SLs with the wider platform better than the older ones but they all work OK. 105 should be plenty good enough.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I was thinking the double sided action of SPD's would be an advantage when she is learning, as I still sometimes fails to engage the cleat on SL's!

What would you say are the best "starter" SL's? im using Keo easy ATM, but might give her those and get some RXS for me!

I would try the Look Keos. I tried Shimano SPD-SL first and could never clip in reliably. Keos felt natural to me right away.

I wouldn't worry about keo cleat wear, just get a pair of cleat covers. I get a year of use per set of cleats on mine by using the covers.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • John.T
    I get a year of use per set of cleats on mine by using the covers.
    Only a year. One set of SL cleats has been on for over 4 years and I only changed my best set this year after 4years as well. They had walked up the top half of Winnats 2 years ago and a K of 20%+ in France this summer. That finished the yellow walking pads off but after cutting the remnants off the cleats still clipped in perfectly. IMO they are the best wearing cleat of this type out there.
    I can not speak for Keos but I have never had clipping in or out trouble. Only had one instance of comming out when not wanted. I have seen numerous occasions of this with Look Delta.