Dogs

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I have to admit, i live in fear coming across one on an empty trail with no owner, the thought of it sinking it's teeth in kind of scares me so im wondering.

What do you do when out and about, do you have any areas you avoid, have you had any run ins, do you carry anything to put it off from attacking?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wild dogs?
    They must be fairly rare.

The only time I've been attacked by a dog in the woods, there didn't seem to be anyone around, and I'd just stopped to fix a puncture.
    Bloody thing came running out of nowhere, and started trying to bite me. I grabbed hold of it's snouf, and tried my best to restrain it for a while, shouting for the owner.
    After getting no sight of the owner I decided (wrongly as it turns out) to try and show this thing who the alfa male was around here, as it snarled away trying to eat me, so I hit it over the head with a rock, then another one. (Attention dog-lovers, i wasn't actually trying to brain it, just trying to give it enough pain to make it back off)
    Of course, just as it starts wimpering and backing down, some people run up the path going "oh there you are you silly....." just as I hit it on the head with a rock.
    They weren;t best pleased, but neither was I. Anyway, massive argument ensues, blah blah.
    I still feel sort of justified. I mean, what else could I, or should I, really have done?
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    want to achieve that PB on your local training loop?
  • I'm sure I read if you want to show it your the alpha bite its ear.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Anonymous
    I'm sure I read if you want to show it your the alpha bite its ear.
    Ah, see that would have been SOOOO much less hassle.
    If it ever happens again, I'll try and remember that. :oops:
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I'm sure I read if you want to show it your the alpha bite its ear.

Is that before its bit yer bollox off?
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    We were riding near Seattle, Washington State and some of the talk was of bears. As we came back to the trailhead, I saw 2 huge black objects running toward the rider before me.

Luckily I was wearing my black shorts. Luckier still, it was a woman with two huge Pyrraneen Mountain dogs!

We did see a bear cub - about 15 stone - on the roadside near Waterton Nat.Park tho.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    We were riding near Seattle, Washington State and some of the talk was of bears. As we came back to the trailhead, I saw 2 huge black objects running toward the rider before me.

Luckily I was wearing my black shorts. Luckier still, it was a woman with two huge Pyrraneen Mountain dogs!

We did see a bear cub - about 15 stone - on the roadside near Waterton Nat.Park tho.
  • Less worried about dog attacks than owners allowing their animals to run freely around on trails. Two emergency stops this week, both times the owner thought it was something we could have a laugh and smile about. I think too many dog owners have seen the Tour de France footage of a dog walking away unharmed having destroyed a rider's front wheel. The pooch would not be so lucky under a mtb wheel.
  • After doing the marin trail at bettws y coed I was washing our bike's down in the car park with my mobi pressure washer when I felt somthing chewing at my ass
    I turned around to find this dog trying to sink it's teeth into me so I gave him a left hook, he went bowling backwards so I gave him the mobi which I knew dogs don't like water on them.
    Then Its owner turn up so I told the 70 odd year old that her dog had just bit me,
    she didn't even apologize she got her dog and was like usain bolt running with her dog towards the woods. With me shouting abuse after her and her mut. I was fuming and shouted that that thing should be put down she then turned into the six million dollar man and wasn't seen again.
    Normally one of the kids is on the pressure washer that is why I was boiling for hours after
    good job it never tore my shorts otherwise it could have been a lot worse. so to get rid of dogs squirt them with your water bottle they normally hate it.
    Its all up hill down here
  • I'd bet she was running away coz it's not the first time it's happened

as for dogs "roaming free" in the woods. I don't resent them that, they have to get their exercise, there's nothing more pathetic than an obese spaniel (OK, I'm sure there is, but you get my drift). when riding shared trails we always have the chance of running across an unexpected object, be it a tree trunk, a dog, a human a horse, whatever. Take it in your stride I say

as for hitting dogs with rocks. While the use of an actual rock does seem a little excessively dangerous you were right to defend yourself (afterall, what else were you to do?) and they were pr1cks for not apologising for the actions of their dog (for which they are legally responsible)

I like dogs, I just wish their owners would clean their sh1t up off the streets after them
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Had a stoopid dog chase me down the canal tow path this morning, hes was pretty fluffy and quite amusing rather than scary (but maybe that's cos I like dogs). It tested out my new front pads a treat too :D

and there's nowt wrong with dogs on the trails. In fact my mut loves coming for a play in the woods with me, so less of the dog hating!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872

I like dogs, I just wish their owners would clean their sh1t up off the streets after them

Do not tar us all with the same brush please.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • ratty2k wrote:
    Do not tar us all with the same brush please.

ha ha, fair enough!

take a walk round our neighbourhood though an the dog owner with a plastic bag at the ready is more than likely from out of town. It's a minefield, I tell ya!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • wild dogs?
    They must be fairly rare.

The only time I've been attacked by a dog in the woods, there didn't seem to be anyone around, and I'd just stopped to fix a puncture.
    Bloody thing came running out of nowhere, and started trying to bite me. I grabbed hold of it's snouf, and tried my best to restrain it for a while, shouting for the owner.
    After getting no sight of the owner I decided (wrongly as it turns out) to try and show this thing who the alfa male was around here, as it snarled away trying to eat me, so I hit it over the head with a rock, then another one. (Attention dog-lovers, i wasn't actually trying to brain it, just trying to give it enough pain to make it back off)
    Of course, just as it starts wimpering and backing down, some people run up the path going "oh there you are you silly....." just as I hit it on the head with a rock.
    They weren;t best pleased, but neither was I. Anyway, massive argument ensues, blah blah.
    I still feel sort of justified. I mean, what else could I, or should I, really have done?

Justified, If you hadn't defended yourself and it did you some serious injury and the ambulance/police had to get involved the dog would more than likely get put down and the owners possibly even prosecuted so you did them a favour really.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • wordnumb wrote:
    Less worried about dog attacks than owners allowing their animals to run freely around on trails. Two emergency stops this week, both times the owner thought it was something we could have a laugh and smile about. I think too many dog owners have seen the Tour de France footage of a dog walking away unharmed having destroyed a rider's front wheel. The pooch would not be so lucky under a mtb wheel.

You haven't met the labrador that I ran over then.

Crazy thing just went nuts and attacked my front wheel, it was dark, I had lights on, dog didn't :)

Came from no where at all barking (owner was fairly close maybe 20M away in site), I was on a cycle path (picture of bike on it).

When I saw dog it was almost already too late I slammed both anchors on and rear wheel was probably already a foot in the air when I hit it, threw me off the bike, fortunately only damage was my battery cover came off the light (went straight back on).

Smarted mind.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I got nipped a couple of months back with a dog off the lead. It didn't see me (I was on foot) and practically walked into me. Bloody great big alsation! It went very still, had a sniff of my hand a bit it! The owner who was a long way behing ran up, slapped it and that was that.

Kepp them on leads if they bite!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I like dog's, appart from those ones that dribble all over you! but When I see them on the trail or in the mountain not on a lead I'm always very weary of it's intentions. Is it going to ignore you, run out infront of you or chase and try to take your leg off?

I've had a few close calls with dog's but nothing major, never been bitten or owt (touch wood!)

You can't blame dog's for much, they dont know where and when they can take a dump ect, but it's some of the owners that are the problem. Dog's dont walk themselves along the cycle paths where I live so the owners of these dogs must stand there and watch them dump in the middle of the path. It's the same with the Marin trail. You get a lot of local dog owners up there and they seem to think that it doesn't matter that the dogs laying eggs on the trail or fire road, because it's a woods.

Like I say, I like dogs but it grips me when dog owners happen to assume that you love dogs like they do, so when its sniffing out your butties in your pack or humping your leg, they just stand there laughing and saying summat like 'oh look he likes you'

If I was in yeehaamcgee's position like in the second post gettin ravaged by a dog I would have done the same. Infact my leatherman would be out and right through it's throat. (in an extreme situation ofcourse!)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • I'm guessing you dont have dogs, they dont all bite, most will just sniff your bike and trot on again, you can even give 'em a belly rub!
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    I'm guessing you dont have dogs, they dont all bite, most will just sniff your bike and trot on again, you can even give 'em a belly rub!

True, but if a dog comes up to you, you have no idea if it will bite you or not!

(I have a number of dogs btw)
  • Anonymous
    I'm guessing you dont have dogs, they dont all bite, most will just sniff your bike and trot on again, you can even give 'em a belly rub!
    But if it's snarling and trying to take a chunk out of me, it gets rocked.
  • supersonic
    I love dogs but have been bitten/nipped 5 times now! I would belt one on the nose if really had a go though.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    he dangerous dogs act covers you legaly if you have to defend yourself agains an intmidating or aggressive dog and you can always report an attack to the police if the owner has a go at you for doing so.

Where I ride is usualy fine and the dogs/walkers are a friendly enough bunch. Where I run on the beach is another story, it is more to do with the bloody things tripping you up or trying to jump up, I accently kicked a collie in the face with my heel when it ran up behind me almost sending me over (it's owner had a face like a smacked ar5e at me, so got a mouthful of choice language and almost a mouthful of fist) . I've had a couple of arguments with owners about their dog and them not being on leads and causing a hazard.

I did used to have a dog and never had any problems because I always kept my eye on him and knew when to get hold of him. And there are some lovely dogs out there who are asking for a stroke with utterly charming owners, it is the owners who don't seem to care or make an effort that make my blood boil.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • supersonic wrote:

Kepp them on leads if they bite!

I hate walking my dog during weekends and holidays because she's quite nervous after a little scummy one had a go at her and most of the ones we come across at the weekend have been sent out by mum with the kids who have no idea of how to control them or anything and just let them run free. I often shout a t owners though telling them if their dogs are unpredictable to keep them on the lead. Mine is nervous but won't attack any and will always come back when called.

Now animal muck on trails...... horse shoot. I absolutely hate it. And horses. Argh.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • I know that not all let their dogs foul footpaths etc., but in my experience a lot do. And, I don't think I've ever seen an owner pick up after their dog in the woods. It may be woodland, but they are still public footpaths etc., where people and their children like to walk. It's so nice going for a walk in the woods, and having to dodge piles of the stuff, which seem to be present every other step. And the joys of riding though some and having it flick up in your face and onto your clothes. It shows such a lack of respect for others.

More often than not, people with dogs will see you approaching on a bike and not even attempt to get their dog out of the way, or call it back if it runs towards you. Now, the dog is probably not likely to bite you, but that is not the point. I'm sure that if I ran into a dog, even though the owner makes no attempt to restrain it, the owner would want me hung, draw and quartered.

A lot of dog owners also have the misconception that everybody wants their 'lovely' dog running at them and jumping up etc., which is not the case. I don't dislike dogs, but I don't want to roll around on the floor with them either. I don't let my kids run up to people and annoy them, and neither do I ride up to dog owners and expect them to be in awe of my bike just because it's something that I have an interest in.

Whether I'm on a bike, or on foot, I don't particularly appreciate peoples' dogs coming and saying "Hello" by jumping up and depositing muddy paw prints and dog hairs. Not everyone wants little 'Rex' making a fuss of them.

I don't have a dog, but I have had a dog in the past, and we always had a family dog/dogs whilst I was growing up, so I do have experience of being a dog owner. And, I do know that some people do not appreciate your dog bothering them, which I always respected (my best mate for one).

I have been bitten while on the bike by a German Shepherd guard dog, which was off the lead on a public footpath/cycle way. I still have the scar down my side. As angry as I was, that could've been a little child on a bike, and I dread to think of the damage it would have done in such circumstances. I reported the dog owner to the police, and I never saw that dog again, so I assume they did what they had to do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • scale20
    last night I got out on the hybrid for a bit of a road blast and at one point of my ride I have to cross a dual carridgeway and railway line in one using a foot bridge. It just so happens that the brigde is also access to the beach.

That brigde is discusting, dog eggs all over it, however the wrost bit is the part of the bridge that crosses the rail line. The sides of the walkway are solid sides over the railway and is damn obvious what dog owners are thinking. With these solid sides no-one can see me letting my dog take a dump. You have to see it to believe it, that part of the brigde is infeseted with it.

The best thing is that there are dog turd bins at either end of the bridge. it just shows the mentality of some owners.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • I got chased by a bloody great big rottweiler a couple of months back. The thing was the size of a small pony. Owners had it on a lead and moved to one side to let me past, once I had past them I picked the pace up a little. This must have made the pooch think I was something to play with as he proceeded to pull the lead out of his owners hands and start chasing me.
    What ensued was like something from a Benny Hill sketch with me being chased by the dog being chased by the owners. It was just missing someone in a gorilla suit.
    He wasnt agressive or anything, quite the opposite actually. Once I stopped and the owners caught up and put his lead back on, they couldn't say sorry enough.

Round here I find that most dog owners are not too bad, pretty respectful of other trail users and all that. There are still a few idiots, but they are certainly the minority
  • You haven't met the labrador that I ran over then.

A similar thing happened to me actually: I was night-riding with my friend, she was a little way in front of me, but in between the time when she went round the second corner, and when I came to the straight bit between the corners, BANG-suddenly this hyped up Labrador pops out from the bush like a metre away from my front wheel, and I nearly ran over the poor thing-it was one of those 'brake really, really hard and hope that it doesn't-move-again moments :)
    Crazy thing just went nuts and attacked my front wheel, it was dark, I had lights on, dog didn't :)
    no that's never happened to me! :shock: can you imagine how bizarre a photo of that would look? especially to a non-rider...'man riding bike at nights gets savaged by dog' ;):D

But anyway, one of the people from my club actually goes riding with his dog :wink: it's pretty cool to see-him ripping along single track, with his dog excitedly running behind...needless to say it doesn't bite (the dog not the rider ;)) also it doesn't go in races with him...but if it did that would be epic, albeit difficult.

But I have never met any aggressive dogs, I like dogs too, and most of the ones around here are fairly tame...thankfully ;)
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Most times when dogs "bite" it's just a wee nip, if it doesn't break the skin it's not trying... I've had it a couple of times, it's one of the definate advantages of flats that you can just boot them in the face.

I've heard it said that you shouldn't grapple a dog unless it's being really aggressive, they basically respond in kind so it'll worsen the situation whereas punches and kicks put them off their stride, their instincts are to bite and bring down not to get in a standoff. But I have no idea if this is true! It does seem to work, any time I've had to deal with an aggro dog I've just laid about its head.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Crack them on the end of the nose, hurts like hell and they usually have sneezing fits.
  • scale20
    I might just have to punch the next dog I see on the nose just for the entertainment of watching it have a sneezing fit :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.