Are these ALDI cycling shoes likely to be any good?

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
I see that the shoes below go on sale at ALDI on Thursday:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11210.htm
Just wondered if at £20 they are worth a go. Never tried clip-in shoes before before and would have to buy pedals as well. If these shoes are likely to be rubbish I'll just wait and buy a good pair when and if I decide to try clipping in.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Lidl shoes are still going strong after approx a year of service. Going to buy a pair mainly cause of the velcro straps as my Mum isn't at work when I put them on to come home and always have to ask a work colleague to tie the laces for me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    are these cycling sale items available at all Aldi stores ?
    I ride therefore I am
  • Might go for the heart rate monitor at £12.99, will get the missus to pick it up on thursday. 8)
    Skinny Git on a Bianchi.
  • redvee
    afcbian wrote:
    are these cycling sale items available at all Aldi stores ?

As long as you're banging on the shop door at 9am.
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    Just wondered if at £20 they are worth a go. Never tried clip-in shoes before before and would have to buy pedals as well. If these shoes are likely to be rubbish I'll just wait and buy a good pair when and if I decide to try clipping in.

You should go for it I reckon. I saw itt this way, you can spend £40-50 elsewhere and not get on with the clipless (although everyone I speak to seems to prefer them lol), or may not have any extra life of shoe by spending more. But if you find you like them, you can always buy some better ones at a later date. I had a few issues, as I'm not very coordinated and ruined the threads on one of my Lidl ones. They still work, but in the lower thread. Generally, I have heard good things from people about the shoes from Lidl/Aldi, and that isn't the case with their clothing which often is reported as being very poor and short lasting. I think this thread might help:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

I thought about buying some of these, and keeping them as a backup for the Lidl (£16) ones I purchased last month. Would always come in handy in the winter, but then again, over shoes are probably a better bet, as I would need some more cleats for the Aldi ones.

The Lidl ones are probably of similar quality, and I found them to be OK. They fit nicely, nice material seems to be used, and I find them comfortable. Myn are MTB style, so I do like the idea of having velcro alone on those Aldi ones. Lidl have laces that would fit king kong. But surely they must be doing more than sizes 8-10? Then again, I found the Lidl 10.5 enough, and I'm usually an 11 at the smallest.

I hope to pick up a few winter pieces like gloves, jacket, and maybe something else. I wouldn't fancy going and buying padded trousers, etc, but I hope the quality is OK on the gloves and jacket. I'm happy with the £3-4 fingerless gloves I bought.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I got previous ones (Crane) from aldi for £8.......use then every day for commutting - bargain....

will be trying to get some for my son, who wants to go clipless
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Most of the stuff is great value and very functional. I bought some of the stuff last year and I thought it was great.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    no.
  • Joe86 wrote:

You should go for it I reckon. I saw itt this way, you can spend £40-50 elsewhere and not get on with the clipless (although everyone I speak to seems to prefer them lol), or may not have any extra life of shoe by spending more. But if you find you like them, you can always buy some better ones at a later date. I had a few issues, as I'm not very coordinated and ruined the threads on one of my Lidl ones. They still work, but in the lower thread. Generally, I have heard good things from people about the shoes from Lidl/Aldi, and that isn't the case with their clothing which often is reported as being very poor and short lasting. I think this thread might help:

I thought about buying some of these, and keeping them as a backup for the Lidl (£16) ones I purchased last month. Would always come in handy in the winter, but then again, over shoes are probably a better bet, as I would need some more cleats for the Aldi ones.

The Lidl ones are probably of similar quality, and I found them to be OK. They fit nicely, nice material seems to be used, and I find them comfortable. Myn are MTB style, so I do like the idea of having velcro alone on those Aldi ones. Lidl have laces that would fit king kong. But surely they must be doing more than sizes 8-10? Then again, I found the Lidl 10.5 enough, and I'm usually an 11 at the smallest.

I hope to pick up a few winter pieces like gloves, jacket, and maybe something else. I wouldn't fancy going and buying padded trousers, etc, but I hope the quality is OK on the gloves and jacket. I'm happy with the £3-4 fingerless gloves I bought.
    Thanks for the advice Joe86. I'll see what they are like in the shop and if they look good quality and fit me okay I'll probably buy them.

There are also other things in the sale like the shirt and winter trousers that I'm interested in. I bought these sort of things in previous Aldi cycling sales and some are still going strong after about 4 years. The winter gloves are same as last year, which I didn't find to be as good as those a few years back.

I had thought the stores opened at 8am but after a quick look at the website I see it is 9am. Oh well, will have to be a late start at work then.
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    Joe86 wrote:

Thanks for the advice Joe86. I'll see what they are like in the shop and if they look good quality and fit me okay I'll probably buy them.

There are also other things in the sale like the shirt and winter trousers that I'm interested in. I bought these sort of things in previous Aldi cycling sales and some are still going strong after about 4 years. The winter gloves are same as last year, which I didn't find to be as good as those a few years back.

I had thought the stores opened at 8am but after a quick look at the website I see it is 9am. Oh well, will have to be a late start at work then.

I managed to pick up some bits some time after the previous promotion had started, and there were still quite a lot of items left. I wonder if the guy commenting on a 9am entry being important is serious, it sounds as if he is taking the piss :lol: Or can you go along later in the day and still grab stuff?
  • For some stuff you do need to be there for opening. I think you'll be alright with the cycling gear.
  • He is right as Lidl's and Aldi's stuff can go 1/2 an after opening but most of the time the cycling stuff is around for a few day but best to get there on the first day.
  • The shoes have been withdrawn by Aldi "due to quality issues". So they told me at the Selsdon, Surrey branch anyway. The jackets looked good though.
  • The 9am advice depends on which branch as well as which specials. Some branches all the specials go first thing. There can even be a queue before the store opens. Others they lie around for weeks and eventually get reduced.
  • Just bought the long sleeve jersey and the winter gloves, plenty of stock in my local Aldi. Jersey fits all right. Will have to try on the road, I know you get what you pay for but at this stage I have spent quite a bit of money (Bike + Helmet + Pedals etc.), so I am quite limited right now money wise.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • yep shoes withdrawn.

but got what i went for, thermal underwear (which i am currently wearing, screw wearing on the bike, my new "around the house" clothes, very comfy :) ), the winter long sleeve jersey, which seems nice with one zipped pocket and 3 normal ones, and some bib tights which are ok- feel a bit cheap and have a odd lump on the inside of the lower leg where a seam is.

got there at 8.55 (swindon branch) and there was quite a queue and something of a rush to the specials section! but i was the only person who had cycled there, couldn't see any other bikes, i was expecting to have some friendly bike chat!
  • cathald
    cathald Posts: 105
    I went to my local Aldi this morning and it was like being in my local bike shop all the guys standing around chatting,I expect the roads to be filled with red & blue cycle jerseys this weekend
    I got a couple of tops which are a great fit,most tops I buy are not long enough and creep up my back but these are nice and long.
    The bib tights I got also but have not tried them on yet
    They told me they had problems with the deliveries and that was the reason there were no shoes.
  • Got what I wanted :) (just )
    All got the XL jackets had gone and that was by 9.10am but the large was ok for me, also a lock and hat with over boots.
    Will do for now and the jacket will be ok when I lose some weight :wink:
    Would have tried some of the bib longs but all the L and XL had gone :shock:
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    I got to an Aldi for 9:20, got the last softshell jacket in larg, all the bibtights in my size were gone, only 2 pairs of socks in my size left.
    Didn't rate the jerseys, waterproof looked good as did the gloves but don't need them.
    Pass on the HRM as frankly got fed up with the tech stuff spoiling my ride, but looked O.K.
    Glad I made the effort, if I'd waited til lunchtime the lot would have gone !
    My knees hurt !
  • Amazing that these things go so quickly. When LIDL had a bike sale a year or so ago, they still had plenty of stock a couple of days after it started. This was in their shops in SE London.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Bought lots of goddies but sadly the one thing I really wanted (the winter bib tights) had all gone
  • When will the ALDI shoes be back in store, anyone in the know on this ?
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • redvee
    When will the ALDI shoes be back in store, anyone in the know on this ?

There is a contact email address and phone number for the press office but nothing more it seems on the website.

http://www.aldipresscentre.co.uk/ContactUs.aspx

No mention on the special offer page about the shoe issue either.
  • The shoe bit is strange as there where in the shop near me but can understand that they went up to size 10 and not 11 :?
  • dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    Anyone know what type pedals you need for these shoes?
    Will be a first for clipless for me and will need to buy pedals.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Anyone know what type pedals you need for these shoes?
    Will be a first for clipless for me and will need to buy pedals.

Any pedals labelled as "SPD" (not SPD-SL) will do nicely.
    e.g. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec050919
  • dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    Brilliant thanks.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Funnily enough the link doesn't work 3.5 years later.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    They are still selling the same shoes; but only two days a year!

Product_detail_Wk18T_37%281%29.jpg
  • Holy thread bumping skills batman....