Black windows

Limpet
Limpet Posts: 27
edited November 2009 in Campaign
Hi does anyone know the legal status of blacked out or tinted windows? When I was a kid (33 now) there wasn't any dark glass in cars and it now seems to be every where. I feel this is making life considerably more dangerous for cyclists as I cannot make eye contact with drivers and therefore do not know if they have seen me. I also think it allows drivers to behave worse than normal, thinking that they can't be seen. Does anyone have any views or info on this subject? I am considering writing to my MP to clarify the law and if neccesary campaign for a ban on the said glass. . .

Comments

• Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    It's all a symptom of low self-esteem. The sort of drivers who want to be noticed but not seen, probably because nature wasn't kind to them when the looks werre given out. I think that laughing at those sort of cars would solve the problem very quickly once word got around that tints were so uncool.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The law is clear. You must have at least 70% light coming in through the front windows. Easily measured with a 'Coppa light-O-meter'.
  • I have it in the back of my VW Passat, not because I am a pimp or have a small willy, but when I have kit (bikes and kayak gear) in the back and the seats down it makes it harder for thieving scrotes to see whats there,
  • Anonymous
    I have it in the back of my Volvo.

I initially had it to shade the kids and hide stuff.

I now find it most useful for pimping.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    The law is clear. You must have at least 70% light coming in through the front windows. Easily measured with a 'Coppa light-O-meter'.

If the law is clear and easily measured, why isn't it enforced? Lots of cars in London with windows so black you can't see the driver at all. If you could see them, you would no doubt realise that a high proportion were on their mobile phone- another unenforced law.
  • Anonymous
    cedargreen wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

If the law is clear and easily measured, why isn't it enforced? Lots of cars in London with windows so black you can't see the driver at all. If you could see them, you would no doubt realise that a high proportion were on their mobile phone- another unenforced law.

Dunno.

Priorities?

Lack of traffic officers these days?
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Lack of traffic officers with the rather expensive measuring kit (+ appropriate training on how to use it) - higher priority policing policies?
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I have it in the back of my Volvo.

I initially had it to shade the kids and hide stuff.

I now find it most useful for pimping.

nah the passat is for work,#

I use the vauxhall for pimping

Im never going to be rich!
  • Fair enough to those that want to tint their rear window but it's definately not on in front or side windows. People are cutting me up simply cos they know I can't see them.I fully agree that they always seem to be on the phone too. I find that as soon as I make eye contact it humanizes the situation and everyone treats each other more fairly. I will write to my MP and contact the local police to see what they have to say.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I'd say it's definatly a case of not enough traffic officers in inner city areas, like London and so on.

It's all well and good for the Traffic Cops to get people when they are using the motorways, but I'd wager a good number of those 2 million uninsured drivers they announced last week are the kind of uninsured/untaxed/unlisenced people driving around our cities, because there is just no traffic units to stop them and enforce proper road laws.
  • cedargreen wrote:
    If the law is clear and easily measured, why isn't it enforced? .
    Because "Safety Cameras" only measure how fast the car's going!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Is it part of the MOT - if it's a safety concern then you'd think it could be checked then - I know people could change glass just for the MOT but it's not going to be something most people would bother with.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I think you will find that the police are taking action on this now and measuring the amount of light passing through car windows.
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    They do take action on it.
    But I think it only tends to be when it's a traffic cop, who then decides to stop them, obviously they have to then rely on having a light meter.

I think the difference is that the full on blacked out tints on front side windows aren't common anymore as professional tinters are mostly likely going to dissaude anyone from buying them due to their illegality.

I have seen one cop show where they stop a woman in a big 4x4 which had tints from the factory and wouldn't let her drive it until she peeled it off.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Rich_E wrote:
    They do take action on it.
    But I think it only tends to be when it's a traffic cop, who then decides to stop them, obviously they have to then rely on having a light meter.

I think the difference is that the full on blacked out tints on front side windows aren't common anymore as professional tinters are mostly likely going to dissaude anyone from buying them due to their illegality.

I have seen one cop show where they stop a woman in a big 4x4 which had tints from the factory and wouldn't let her drive it until she peeled it off.

Yeah I saw that on TV, but the sad fact is that there are more and more cars in London with darkened front windows it seems and as it gets darker in the evenings I just wonder if drivers of these cars would spot a cyclist with a weaker light than the average car approaching, whilst they waited to emerge from a side road....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • my car came with it standard on the rear and passenger windows to hide the children and boot contents. Why? the boot has a cover and I'm not David Beckham, my kids don't have to worry about hoardes of papperazi chasing us out of Tesco.

I'm not keen, It does limit how clearly you can see people outside of the wing mirrirs range, I can't thank people who let me in as easily and it means the car has to have a huge glass roof just to make it less dull and dingy in the back,
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Visual transmission for light

Regulation 32(10) Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 states that:

All motor vehicles first used before 1/4/85 must allow 70% of light to pass through; and
    Motor vehicles first used on or after 1/4/85 - windscreen 75%, Other windows 70%
    Trailers - 70%

Measurements should be carried out perpendicular to the surface in accordance with the procedure specified in the appropriate British Standard Specification.

[The requirements above have effect in relation to any tint, film or other substance or material applied to a windscreen or window as they have effect in relation to the windscreen or window itself] - from 01/01/2004.

Exceptions apply to parts of the windscreen outside the visual reference zone (ie high level sun-shade bands), windows through which the driver could not see the road (rear doors in a box van), and windows, other than rear facing windows and access doors, behind the driver in goods vehicles, buses, locomotives and tractors and all windows behind the driver in an ambulance.
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Fashion says that cars have to look good, sound good, be incredibly and pointlessly fast.

Unfortunately for some reason everyone these days seems to put fashion above safety and practicality.

Possibly something to do with how insecure everyone feels these days? You know, that same thing that makes people buy 6in travel trail bikes when all they really need is 4in travel etc etc.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Another thing that is becoming prevelant is cars with those stuck on sun shades that are used for keeping children cool. I have seen lots of them this summer with the shade stuck on the inside of the front passengers window!

Weather the police have the will or the resources is inmaterial the enforsement of a law usually comes down to the CPS to decide if its worth it or not. Sadly one of us will be dead, the victim of an incicdent caused by shades/tints before anything worthwhile will be done.