clipless pedals for beginner

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Can I have some recommendation, again i am on a budget. Never had clipless pedals before, so not sure that i could adapt though i will have to as i understand that they give you some extra power. I have read somewhere that some people fit MTB pedals on their road bike with 2 different side (hope I am clear) so you have the choice to use normal shoes when you don't go for a long ride. Thanks
JC
BTW i have bought a pair of second hand shoes with not cleat fitted
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Shimano's cheapy Pd-M520 get's my vote - a good beginners pedal that comes with a clip in platform if you want one side to be a non-binding. £20 ish or less from the usual stores.

Recommend not trying the really cheap offerings from the likes of Aldi - it'll just put you off in the end
  • I have Shimano M424 on my Hybrid, can just jump on it and go at the weekends with the kids and then snap in for my tow path and crappy road route to work.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    You could use clips if you want to save or you are hopping on and off a lot.

I use clips for commuting: get the hard plastic cup type with straps (I think my were described as MTB. Avoid the flimsy ones sold with road bikes, as they just get tangled) and use with smooth-ish soled shoes. Should cost £5-7 plus pedals if you don't have them (£7).

I have used these for years and they give you 90 per cent of what you get with SPDs and a lot more versatile in day to day riding. Clipless is better for the proper long distance stuff, but it comes at a price: typically, £25 for the pedals and £50 for the shoes.

Most people here disdain simple cycle clips and some talk balls about their supposed dangers (difficulty of getting your foot out). Needless to say, many of these critics have never used them (or only the flimsy ones when testing a road bike, and even I threw these away).
  • Thanks guys, looks like the Pd-M520 get very good review and are quite affordable. I will have to check if i can attach the cleat to my diadora road shoes (can't see being a problem)
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I would not recomend using SPD cleats on road shoes. They are almost imposible to walk even short distances in. An MTB/Touring shoe with a recessed sole is far better.
  • i used these guys, and got a good deal. very helpfull staff.
    http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/
    What do you meen you did not see me.
    I,m the pillock in the Hi vis top.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    get yourself down to aldi this thursday, they are doing some shoes with recessed cleats for £20. look ok as well
  • jeannot18 wrote:
    Thanks guys, looks like the Pd-M520 get very good review and are quite affordable. I will have to check if i can attach the cleat to my diadora road shoes (can't see being a problem)
    JC

A good choice, I used these for about 2 years ad loved them but I would strongly recommend some MTB shoes, they can be reasonably priced and worth their weight in gold.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • When I am out with my bike I don't really walk around, just leave the house and get back once I have finished my ride. I have already got the shoes so I don't want to spend anymore money for shoes. Found the pedals on Ebay brand new for about £20 delivered. If I am too unhappy with the shoes I will have to wait to get some more funds (or basically get the agreement from the other half... :lol: )
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Good luck then and happy riding. Christmas is coming
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I may be weird but I sometimes get on my Look clipless pedals with normal trainers. Doesn't give me any problem whatsoever.
  • for ease of use, its the cleats that make the difference, not the pedals, get SH56's not SH51's, much easier to get your feet out in a hurry

shimano A530 pedals are also very user friendly, flat one side, great in traffic
  • wiffachip wrote:
    for ease of use, its the cleats that make the difference, not the pedals, get SH56's not SH51's, much easier to get your feet out in a hurry

shimano A530 pedals are also very user friendly, flat one side, great in traffic

You got a point about the cleats and the pedals... Hmmmm decision decision

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • I have shimano A530's and they are pretty good for getting used to clipless as they're flats on the other side -I'll be upgrading soon, but I'd recommend these as learners.
  • jeannot18 wrote:
    Thanks guys, looks like the Pd-M520 get very good review and are quite affordable. I will have to check if i can attach the cleat to my diadora road shoes (can't see being a problem)
    JC

Got my new road bike last month with these pedals and Specialized Sonoma shoes. Very comfy, pedals are easy to use and simple to clip into and out of.

You can walk quite easily in the shoes, though you might not want to walk too far in them.
  • First ride with my new A530 and SH56 this morning. It is hit and miss really. Sometime the cleat engage without really trying and sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to find it. I did not fall yet... had a near "crap my shorts" moment at a T-junction, but otherwise it is great. To disengage the SH56 is pretty easy, though I have setup the pedals to the easier setup for now. Definitely much better than normal pedals, mainly on hilly bits as I can pull up as well. Another 42km on the odometer which I have well enjoyed.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Ive just bought some shimano 520 pedels, look ok, but I was going to buy some ALDI shoes but they were withdrawn. :x :x :x
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • Had 520's on my TREK 1.2 when i bought it. Got a friend who's been racing roadbikes for a few years and he recommended LOOK easy's as i'm a clipless beginner....

Absolutely superb and i've never looked back !!!
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!