Scrathed top of STI ?spares

Dr M
Dr M Posts: 171
edited September 2009 in Workshop
I scratched the top of my shifters yesterday mending a flat. Its the nameplate bit on top of the shifter.

I looked on the shimano site and they have a product code, but how do i know what shifters i have?! Theres lots of different types, where do i look for the code on the shifters? Its a new bike with 10speed 105 shifters, just not sure of all the diffrent variations on the shimano website!

thanks

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Best just accept that they will get scratched and only replace them when they get really bad. Its a bike, not a fashion accessory :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • Dr M
    well i was thinking of just leaving them but i thought i'd see how much the spares were, if they're only a couple quid i'll probably replace them...

Although knowing shimano and spare part prices in general thats pretty unlikely!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I think you're right! My guess would be >£10.
    More problems but still living....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Peel the hood back from the handlebar end, you will see the model number there. I got some Ultegra name plates - they were about £8 on ebay (though they were actually cracked rather than scratched).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tenner apiece, for what is a stamped piece of steel and a screw. I reckon Shimano deliberately designed the the most sacrificial part to be so easy to damage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I think you need a 6KD 9803.....Retails at £7.
  • Dr M
    hmm at that price (each) they can stay scratched for now and i'll replace them when they get really bad.

It wouldnt be so bad if they weren't right in front of me but i keep looking at it when i'm grinding up long hills, i ! Takes my mind off the pain though!! I'll have forgotten about them in a week or two though, just becasue its a new bike at the moment.
  • They're only plastic, not metal. :(