i need your opinion!

rider of the night
rider of the night Posts: 26
edited September 2009 in MTB general
Ok.. Im currently doing GCSE electronics and want to do a bike alarm for it. i was just wondering if you guys could help me in answering a few questions.

Roughly how much would you like to pay for a bike alarm.

Also i was wondering would you like it to be integrated into something that looks natural on a bike or stands out to make a robber think twice before touching it.

Another thing would be if you wanted it to be de-activated by a key or by a code mechanism.

Cheers for reading this guys and i hope to get some good answers :)
custom kona (dirt) dawg primo

Comments

• furby
    furby Posts: 200
    I would want it to be intergrated in the a lock, so if the loop of the lock is cut, the alarm goes off.

It would have to be relativly small and light to make sure I actually take it with me rather than not taking it because I dont want to carry a large bulck or weight.

I would want it higly visable as a deterant.

Key please. Have a look at the oxford comany and their range of locks and keys. I am a fan of their having one of their gold standerd locks for my motorbike.

Cost, depends on quality, how much I trust the product/company, and the cost of rival products and the price of my bike!

Hope that is of some help, and just ask if you have any more querys.
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    hi i am doing and came across the same problem try going around ur mates and asking them

i would pay about 30 for an alarm
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    surly you would want to create a a simple lock that sends a text or recorded message to your phone to say that the lock is being tampred with? or use smart water electronically released so the police can track said criminal.
    reasonably easy to do, have it quite small and light and highly visable.
    pricing around £50?

20% of your company please!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • smart water? I need some of that!

eiither; integrated with the lock, perhaps tripping as soon as the plastic sheath on on the lock is penetrated (so before the lock is completely compromised)
    or; cylindrical so it fits inside the frame.

either way, I would not make the alarm itself stand out I would hide it. If I want a warning I'd put a separate sticker on the frame. I'd pay about 30 GBP for the alarm itself, more if it was integrated in the lock.

you thinking of an alarm or a tracking system? the latter would have been so expensive as to be effectively impossible just a few years ago but today.... maybe possible

ideally it should electrify the frame with a brazillion volts as well . OK maybe not
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • VWsurfbum
    smart water? I need some of that!

i can get it through work?

ideally it should electrify the frame with a brazillion volts as well . OK maybe not
    it would be almost worth them trying to steal it to see them get fried!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWSurfbum wrote:

i can get it through work?!

what is it, what's it do?

I suppose dyed, marked, ...... radioactive? can it be programmed to self assemble into a terminator? :twisted:

now that *would* be smart!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • VWsurfbum
    VWSurfbum wrote:

i can get it through work?!

what is it, what's it do?

I suppose dyed, marked, ...... radioactive? can it be programmed to self assemble into a terminator? :twisted:

now that *would* be smart!
    its a clear liquid that cant be washed off and is DNA based so they can trace it back to where it came from.
    it also leaves a trace on other items you touch. it shows up under UV light.
    ATM's and other high security rooms use it.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • have you seen these

basically it bolts into a bottle boss and is movement activated, very loud and tamper resistant.
  • have you seen these

basically it bolts into a bottle boss and is movement activated, very loud and tamper resistant.
    So what happens when the wind blows or someone else wants to use the same bike lock place? :lol:
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    I would say....

Something light. but strong (needs to be inbuilt to the lock)

look at some from of circuit that when cut will trigger the alarm, could be linked to a remote that send an SOS signal allowing police of said similar organisation to track bike (a tracker hiden in frame but matched to lock in some way?

just a few thoughts....

Cost...

not much morethan £50....

and would need some form on tracker, as with motorbikes. they can be stoled and split for parts easily... so its necessary to find them asap after them being stolen.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.