Ayup Lights - Bulk buy

joff69
joff69 Posts: 18
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hiya everyone.
Like quite a few people, I'm looking at investing into some lights for the winter.

I quite like the look of the Ay-up lights, but as it is buy from Oz and have them shipped over, and then have to pay duty, import tax or whatever else is required it could work out expensive.

Has anyone looked into getting a bulk buy sorted out and does this make things any easier, say if at least 10 or more people were interested in getting them??

I dont know enough about the importing side of things, so I'm not sure where to start, but would anyone be interested in getting a bulk buy sorted out. If I'm biily-no-mates then probably not worth it, or if theres enough interest it might be worth looking into it further.

Please let me know what you think. Has this been tried before with stuff and was it successful or not.

Regards

Joff

Comments

• No experience but I'm interested in a set. I saw them at last years twentyfour12 and still wish I'd bought a set. Apparently the latest ones are even better.
  • what sort of price are we looking at if its bulk buy? very interested...
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Check out the site :wink:

http://www.ayup-lights.com/order-multiple-kits/discount/

They do discount for multiple orders, depending on how many are being ordered.

I've got a 08 MTB kit and cant recommend AYUP enough, fantastic lights, albeit a bit pricey but worth every penny in my view.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Didnt Planet X used to sell them ? Are the new PX lights better or worse ?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    They used to sell Dinotte, then Airbike, now LUU lights - they look good, probably not as refined as Ay-Up, but then the best value is in non bike specific P7 torches where you will het the same performance for 25% of the price.
  • We still sell airbike ,

the luu lights are the new ones this year , they are very very nice , paul smith has a review going into cycling plus soon . The screw in spare battery case is a great back up feature that ive not seen anywhere else .

Plus next week we have some very nice new lights coming from japan , from crops , who are the i believe the producers for cateye , Some of these are pretty good value .

We like lights
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    I could be interested in the bulk buy, keep me posted. I'm fully aware there are brighter lights and cheaper lights but the ay up system seems really well thought out to me
  • Ridg
    Ridg Posts: 98
    Could be interested too, but would expect a better discount than 5% for a proper bulk buy.
  • i have just got a v4 set best thing i have ever got for my bike got them delivered to my work and never payed any import tax or duty etc i would highley recomend them
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • I'm interested!
  • Hiya

I've spoken to Customs and Excise and there would be 2.7% duty to pay and then VAT to pay (currently 15%)

Current price on the Ay-up website is £265.70 so with the duty and VAt would take it up to £313.80

I havnt had chance to email Ay-up Lights with regards to what possibe discounts they would give, besides the 5% off for ordering 5 sets.

I'm still not sure whether I want to go ahead with it yet, Still got plenty of research to do regarding if its a good deal, and quality of other lights out there, etc.

Would have to pay for it in one go so I would certainy need to get a decent deposit off people, if not price in full before buying.

Just thought I'd give you an update.

Joff
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Personally at that price i wouldn't bother, a lumicycle system 4 would be better and comes in at £349.

A troutlite with a battery from smudge would be far better but it's from a guy who builds them as more of a service than a business though you would be looking at 2000 lumens and a 5.2ah battery with a 5-6 hour run time.

Quality wise they're built to military specs and are waterproof to 1 meter.

Do the ay-ups use the cree r2 emitter now, it's been a while since i've looked into them.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I have AYUPs and they are great lights but I think you can probably get better now. They are 340 Lumins which is less than some new systems but they are indestructable and backed up with great support in my experience. I'm not sure I'll change mine as part of the fun for me is it actually being dark rather than riding around with a floodlight strapped to my head :)

That troutlite looks great especially for the money.

I'm not sure I agree with Dazza about the lumicycle; lots of light but the casing design, in my view, is asking for trouble.
  • Dazzza
    In what way do you mean asking to be ripped off in a crash, hmm perhaps but it looks to be necessary with the optics the used.

Poor old troutie is swamped with his new light, led's should be released end of this month soon as i get my mits on it i'll strap it to a drill battery and do some beamshots, i've given him full artistic license to give me a nice wide spread of light.

I have heard a rumour either troutie and deesta [dstar] are in the new wmb magazine end of this month and the get a very favourable write up so after this light i can see them really moving forwards in a business sense. 8)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Eranu
    In what way do you mean asking to be ripped off in a crash, hmm perhaps but it looks to be necessary with the optics the used.

That's what I mean, they look a bit high to me if you know what I mean. The AYUPs are very small and very light don't even notice them on the helmet even with the battery strapped to it. I've also had numerous offs and tree branch collisions and they;ve not even got a scratch on them :) Having said all that I probably look elsewhere if I was buying now.
    I have heard a rumour either troutie and deesta [dstar] are in the new wmb magazine end of this month and the get a very favourable write up so after this light i can see them really moving forwards in a business sense.

I am reading it right now :) And the dstar lights get 4 stars and great comments. No troutlite though :(
  • Dazzza
    edited September 2009
    Yeah if it's the one im thinking of it'll be the light with two triple r2 mcb boards, a good light but troutie first built the liberator with four triple r2 boards, then he made the 6 single xpe version and it showed up the 4 triple light so when the xpg's show it will be something special.

Goddamn do you know how much it's bugging me knowing you have that light roundup and i don't lol four stars eh so im assuming it's one of the best, what did they say about it and what was the winner, i went looking for wmb but the retail version hasn't hit the shelves yet. :cry:

The lumi is a lot smaller than the site suggests so i can't see it being a problem plus they do build them very tough as i had lumi's in the past.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It was delivered today for the subscribers.

I think page 30 gives the best advice ;-)
  • Eranu
    I'm not a light techie so your first paragraph totally lost me :)

As for the review..

Only 3 lights got 4 stars. Lumicyle Sys 4 Flood, DStar Altair XRE & MCE.

The winner was the Lupine Tesla 5 with 4.5 stars. They said it won becuase of the quality of the beam pattern and light. Not becuase it was the brightest. It also scored for being light, well made and easy to set up. The recommended set was this on the bars with a hope vision 2 on the lid.

It's a good review of lights, loads are tested. I will be interested to see what your opinion is :)

As for the lumi size, I imagine it is smaller than it looks on the site. I know when I got my lights I couldn't get over how small they were.
  • Dazzza
    Tesla hmm how odd seeing the price it is and it's just a single p7, sonic please tell me you didn't vote for it. :P

Ah well the trout puts most lights to shame as the unit weighs about 89 grams which i think is rather impressive, shame it couldn't come to the party maybe next year eh.

Aah altair that's his older design yeah, he has the almeda i think that takes two triple led boards so that will be one to watch, the trout well a lot of people have had a hand in it's design, dstar troutie and a few others so it's evolved over the past few months.

Anyway here's the thread if you're interested.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=538590
    Giant Anthem X
  • the ay up mtb set is only 212 - granted you don't get the hard case or the gecko mount, but it's a fair bit cheaper!

the lights are supposed to be updated, but have no idea what they're running now?
  • Dazzza
    From what i could find out the latest cree xre's latest for about 10 days until the xpg's come out. :D
    Giant Anthem X
  • M6TTF
    The big plus for the ay up system for me is the fact you get 2 sets of lights, head and bar. Every other kit is a single unit which means another outlay for your head. For me, this pushes them way ahead in the VFM stakes
  • These Troutlites...how do you get more information on them? And, how do you get a hold of one?

I have a combination of P7, Fenix torches on the bars, and an Ultrafire on the helmet, but my friend does not want to go this route...he wants a 'proper' bike-specific light.

So, should I point him in the direction of the Troutlite as another possible option?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Dazzza
    Well you pretty much fire off an email to troutie on mtbr aka chris, he's a top bloke with a lot of fandom and has been building lights for god ages now, deesta is good but the trout is the man as far as top end lights are concerned least imho.

The finished housing is right at the bottom, i believe the dark colours are type 3 hard anodized so quite tough finish wise.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=538590

Im after the lumen liberator because of how it throws light on the ground as well as up front, i like seeing what is all around not just what is in front of me.

A guy called smudge is in that thread, he's been knocking up quality battery packs for 20 odd years, he can also supply chargers and charges much less than the competition, a typical 5.2ah pack is £85 and a charger about £25, his 2.6ah pack about £46.

Anywa this is the light with xpe's in it, i'll be having me the xpg version when they are released end of this month.

Picture056.jpg
    Giant Anthem X
  • Dazzza
    Tut tut seems troutie did send off one of his lights to wmb but didn't get reviewed, no biggie as it's one of his older models.

Deesta is now gearing up big time as he can see himself getting a mass amount of orders thanks that that review, to say he's happy is an understatment.

Would be great to see a review of the xpg liberator, that is his current baby and i for one would love to see it reviewed.

Jonnie here's a link to his site which has a bit more info, also has the 6 xpe light which is an older design to the liberator.

http://www.troutie.com/troutelights2.html
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do Deesta and Trout work together? They have taken beam shots for their lamps in the same place!

1400 lm Deesta:

MCEbeamshot.jpg
  • Dazzza
    supersonic wrote:
    Do Deesta and Trout work together? They have taken beam shots for their lamps in the same place!

1400 lm Deesta:

Yup they help each other in every aspect in their lights, troutie helps deesta more than anything from what i've seen.

The lights you guys have from deesta, troutie helped improve on them as deesta did with the liberator, he's just done some new liberator beamshots using different lenses, here's 4 narrow 2 elliptical, still using just xpe's atm.

Impressive isn't it, now imagine that with the 345lm xpg's. ;)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=538590&page=2

xpebeamsshots004.jpg
    Giant Anthem X
  • M6TTF
    did this group buy ever get off the ground?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    And is Dazza on commission?! :lol:
  • Dazzza
    I might be. ;)

But in fairness i was one of the first to have it, been too long without a decent light, p7 is nice but i craved longer run times.
    Giant Anthem X