Campag 8 speed conversion.

gilbos
gilbos Posts: 6
edited September 2009 in Workshop
Hi all.

I have a bike with a circa 1999 Campagnolo Chorus 8 speed ergo drivetrain. I need to change the wheels.

I can live with 8 speed. Therefore, what would be the easiest / most cost effective way of converting a new 9/10 rear wheel and cassette to 8 speed.

All advice and sources of info appreciated.

Comments

• dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    can you not just go on Ebay and get an 8 speed cassette/with a wheelset that fits a 8 speed campag?
  • Cheers Dru,

Looked on Ebay, but nothing apart from oldish 2nd hand.

I was thinking of a pair of Khasmin / Ventos or similar and converting a 9 cassette to work with the 8 speed ergos if possible.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    You may be able to just buy a 9 speed cassette and swap in the spacers from your current 8 speed cassette (your current spacers may need a bit of filing to fit the different splines), and just not use the largest cog.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Buy Marchisio sprockets etc from places such as Parkers http://www.parker-international.co.uk/b ... hisio.html You can get spacers (bottom of link) and sprockets to match just about anything. e.g I have Campag 8 spaced sprockets and Campag 9 spaced sprockets both on Shimano hubs.
    Other places do them too, I just linked Parker.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Campagnolo do an 8 speed spacer kit for use with a 9 speed cassette - needs to be Mirage or Veloce cassette which you can split into individual sprockets. Obviously you can only use the 8 smaller sprockets from the cassette. Spacer kit is about a tenner - Marchisio cassette is expensive in comparison.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..