Hampshire Hilly Hundred

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
Has anyone done the Hampshire Hilly Hundred before, and if so, is it any good?

And if you've also done the Southern Sportive, how does it compare?

Thinking about doing it next year as a warm up for the Wales Dragon.

thanks

Comments

• jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    HHH is a good event and very similar to Southern Sportive did them both this year.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I did the HHH this year. Not too bad. I didn't think it was all that hilly though. No really tough climbs just a decent number of smaller ones.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    when is it guys ? Link ?
    I ride therefore I am
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    phreak wrote:
    I did the HHH this year. Not too bad. I didn't think it was all that hilly though. No really tough climbs just a decent number of smaller ones.

Yeah, I knew the climbs weren't that bad and it looks like the highest gradient is only 8%.
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    http://www.sportivecycling.org.uk/

I have ridden all of the Southern Sportives and 3 of the HHHs.
    The HHH course is usually more consistent but gentler with no major obsticles.
    its well organised, like the Southern.

The Southern has some steeper climbs like Harting. Its a more challenging route and more spectacular scenery over the downs.

You may also be interested in the Highclere castle event held between the other two dates. The route is longer but keeps you interested and manages to capture some of the spectacle of the Southern. Its the best atmosphere of the three in my view with Mavic support, having the inter-services riding adds a point of difference, endless car parking on site and a large central area with food stalls, tables etc.

I have ridden all editions and like the other events, the organisation has been consistently good.

One useless fact is that both the HHH and Highclere event have had good and bad weather years but the Southern only ever gets good or great weather. Not sure how Martin manages to organise that but hats off - can't be easy
  • dcj wrote:
    One useless fact is that both the HHH and Highclere event have had good and bad weather years but the Southern only ever gets good or great weather. Not sure how Martin manages to organise that but hats off - can't be easy

Let's just say that I'm going to Hell... :wink:
    Martin

trailbreak.co.uk
    southernsportive.com