omg how cold has it got and its......

mad4itinnit
mad4itinnit Posts: 54
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
not even winter yet normally go out at 6 30 am for a 30 miler before work but this last week has froze me block off time to invest in some winter gear so..... i got body amour vest so far and my jersey over that would a soft shell windstop top over that and some windstop trousers with over shoes and winter gloves be enought to cope with winter condistions any advice more than welcome cheers :D

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Careful. I tried out some new leggings this morning and got harangued for admitting to it... :)

Winter Gear Thread
  • cheers for link
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    not even winter yet normally go out at 6 30 am for a 30 miler before work but this last week has froze me block off time to invest in some winter gear so..... i got body amour vest so far and my jersey over that would a soft shell windstop top over that and some windstop trousers with over shoes and winter gloves be enought to cope with winter condistions any advice more than welcome cheers :D

Jeez!

That lot would be sufficient for sub-zero conditions.
    Where are you based, Iceland? :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • its not so much the cold but i cycle past r.a.f fairford airfield and the wind has been unbeliveble this past few weeks which get throught my normall gear and dont feel great adds to wind chill
  • daviesee
    its not so much the cold but i cycle past r.a.f fairford airfield and the wind has been unbeliveble this past few weeks which get throught my normall gear and dont feel great adds to wind chill

That will be why I use the "feels like" part of the forecast and not the temperature taken from inside a cosy, sheltered box.

Weather is weird. I am sure that -5 in Scotland feels colder than -15 in Canada.
    Don't know why, it just does.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    At this time of year a long sleeve base layer and a windproof jacket or jersey should be more than enough unless you're out at night. I've just started using full finger gloves in the morning, but its not cold enough to need them in the afternoon yet. Still in shorts and summer shoes.
    More problems but still living....
  • daviesee wrote:
    its not so much the cold but i cycle past r.a.f fairford airfield and the wind has been unbeliveble this past few weeks which get throught my normall gear and dont feel great adds to wind chill

That will be why I use the "feels like" part of the forecast and not the temperature taken from inside a cosy, sheltered box.

Weather is weird. I am sure that -5 in Scotland feels colder than -15 in Canada.

Are you sure about that? I was sure that the Scots were the hardest around.. I herd that -5 is the preverbial Scottish summer :D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:

Are you sure about that? I was sure that the Scots were the hardest around.. I herd that -5 is the preverbial Scottish summer :D

After 5 years in Canada, yes, I am sure.
    The Canadians do know how to dress accordingly though.
    Geordies are a breed apart 8) What's a jacket, man?
  • A friend lived in Canada for a year, Toronto I think. He said that if your nose was exposed for more than a minute it froze up solid. I suppose that's on way to stop your nose running . It's a bit extreme but effective none the less.

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • I feel quite a man reading this thread. I've been cycling to work at 5am with summer shorts and top, and my fingerless gloves. The only concession in the morning is my base layer. 8)

Yay! Go me!!!!

p.s. I also ride a motorbike so am more used to cold maybe....
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • daviesee
    A friend lived in Canada for a year, Toronto I think. He said that if your nose was exposed for more than a minute it froze up solid. I suppose that's on way to stop your nose running . It's a bit extreme but effective none the less.

Excellent wind up!

Maybe up in Yellowknife but not Toronto.

Best be sure your hair is dry before you go out though! :shock:
  • That'd be easy if I had some.

• soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    daviesee wrote:

Damp in the air?
  • lol, im planning on riding without winter equipment for a week or so since i wont be able to afford.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • got all my gear today from aldi gloves,bib longs,soft shell windstop top and rain jacket 55 quid and the gear is bloody great for that price was very suprised in fact how good it was. ready to confront the wind and rain now, dam means i still got to get out of me bed to do the miles wife is like you bloody better use it now, lmao by the way dear think i might need a turbo trainer soon lmao slap
  • It's cold but I'm more than happy with a bib, baselayer and maybe a gilet in the morning, and then pack the gilet on the way home. After the first mile in the morning I'm usually lovely and warm :)
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Still 80 plus in Kiev, shirt sleeves and no jacket :D