Successfully prosecuted a motorist

jetsstar1
jetsstar1 Posts: 53
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Hello. I am new to the forum so quick introduction.
Commuter cyclist for quite a few years. Another person based in Southampton I'm afraid. Commute from Hamble to Southampton City every day (15 miles round trip). My current commuter bike is slightly modified Trek 7.5FX (most I would spend as I have to lock it outside). My good bike is an upgraded Marin Highway One for sportive, training and the odd commute when I can lock it inside. I don't like RLJs but occasionally take a left at a light when it is dangerous to be in that position (e.g. inside of a bus).

Anyway to the story... Thought I would share, as it seems many people have had run-ins with motorists and it might give you a warm feeling :wink: A year or so ago I managed to successfully get a motorist prosecuted for assault. Cycling home from work I had a motorist beep and shout unmentionable phrases when I tried to pull right across the traffic (I was clear in front). This is at the split at Cobden bridge heading East for those of you who know it. I actually got across so he pulled inside me and rolled down his window and started shouting again. I proceeded to quite simply tell him to "grow up", nothing worse. This obviously incensed him and he started chasing me eventually running me into a curb.

(If you've got this far, thanks for your patience) It was getting really dangerous so I stopped. He got out of the car and immediately came at me and grabbed my neck, while I was still on my bike. :shock: After making him release me and a few heated words I promptly got out of there saying that I will see him again in court. I then reported him to the Hampshire police, luckily I also had a witness but unfortunately I hadn't remembered the license plate correctly so they took the details anyway, but they said it was doubtful that anything could be done. Surprisingly a few days later the local police station called and said that they had identified the car and had been around to his house and he had admitted that it had happened, but said that I was being aggressive and it was self defence. :roll:
Anyway to cut to the chase eventually it went to court. He had pleaded not guilty but my witness turned up and at the last minute he pleaded guilty and subsequently got a record and paid a fine.

I guess the moral of this story is don't let people get away with aggressive behaviour and I'm also glad I managed to keep my cool. The police were great and really helpful but I believe only because an assault was involved. I also am a bit sheepish now and try and avoid conflict with motorists at all costs but the odd shout makes me feel better.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum.
Marin Highway One
Trek 7.5FX

Comments

• Congrats!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Good stuff and well done for keeping your cool
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    woo hoo!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Excellent stuff.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Nice, I hope you bought the Witness something nice, sounds like he/she saved the day.
  • Good on you, a blow is struck for cyclists rights on the road :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    8)

Welcome to the forum. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Rich_E wrote:
    Nice, I hope you bought the Witness something nice, sounds like he/she saved the day.

Might be classed as bribery if he did :wink:
  • downfader
    jetsstar1 wrote:
    Hello. I am new to the forum so quick introduction.
    Commuter cyclist for quite a few years. Another person based in Southampton I'm afraid. Commute from Hamble to Southampton City every day (15 miles round trip). My current commuter bike is slightly modified Trek 7.5FX (most I would spend as I have to lock it outside). My good bike is an upgraded Marin Highway One for sportive, training and the odd commute when I can lock it inside. I don't like RLJs but occasionally take a left at a light when it is dangerous to be in that position (e.g. inside of a bus).

Anyway to the story... Thought I would share, as it seems many people have had run-ins with motorists and it might give you a warm feeling :wink: A year or so ago I managed to successfully get a motorist prosecuted for assault. Cycling home from work I had a motorist beep and shout unmentionable phrases when I tried to pull right across the traffic (I was clear in front). This is at the split at Cobden bridge heading East for those of you who know it. I actually got across so he pulled inside me and rolled down his window and started shouting again. I proceeded to quite simply tell him to "grow up", nothing worse. This obviously incensed him and he started chasing me eventually running me into a curb.

(If you've got this far, thanks for your patience) It was getting really dangerous so I stopped. He got out of the car and immediately came at me and grabbed my neck, while I was still on my bike. :shock: After making him release me and a few heated words I promptly got out of there saying that I will see him again in court. I then reported him to the Hampshire police, luckily I also had a witness but unfortunately I hadn't remembered the license plate correctly so they took the details anyway, but they said it was doubtful that anything could be done. Surprisingly a few days later the local police station called and said that they had identified the car and had been around to his house and he had admitted that it had happened, but said that I was being aggressive and it was self defence. :roll:
    Anyway to cut to the chase eventually it went to court. He had pleaded not guilty but my witness turned up and at the last minute he pleaded guilty and subsequently got a record and paid a fine.

I guess the moral of this story is don't let people get away with aggressive behaviour and I'm also glad I managed to keep my cool. The police were great and really helpful but I believe only because an assault was involved. I also am a bit sheepish now and try and avoid conflict with motorists at all costs but the odd shout makes me feel better.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum.

Cobden Bridge..? Wasnt a red BMW with a white lad, 35ish and blond spikey hair.. perchance? :?
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    I'll say it before someone else does:

"Shoulda D-Locked the c**t".
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    RyanB wrote:
    I'll say it before someone else does:

"Shoulda D-Locked the c**t".

Strangely enough, whilst watching the news yesterday at 6pm, a report on the PM mentioned his use of the 'C' word 4 times. It turned out 'cuts' was the word but I immediately thought of c**ts :shock: :lol: .

I spend far too much time on here...................

PS: Welcome to the board!
  • No not a red BMW. A silver Toyota.

I remember describing him to the police as a 6ft 2" Stan Collymore! Makes me laugh now , but not at the time.

I was actually advised against buying the witness something nice, but she was very good to turn up and easy on the eye in the court waiting room! :wink: I would have probably got in more trouble with the wife!
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • downfader
    jetsstar1 wrote:
    No not a red BMW. A silver Toyota.

I remember describing him to the police as a 6ft 2" Stan Collymore! Makes me laugh now , but not at the time.

Ahh I thought my one was a bit of a coward. :lol:
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Welcome to the forums and nice job.

Cyclist (roadie & minor commuter) and car driver myself. I have to say that ever since I took up cycling more seroiusly, when driving a car I have a totally different perspective of cyclist to what I used to have. Not that I ever did anything or said anything to a cyclist (well not out loud) but I have a whole new perspective of what we cyclist face on the roads and have a different frame of mind when I encounter a cyclist on the road.
    Maybe they should teach learner drivers more intensivly on how to drive when near a cyclist? I can't remember ever being told anything about it it when I learnt although that was 26 years ago in Oz then 15 years ago when I had to take a UK test.
    s**t I'm getting old :cry:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Thanks for all the welcomes by the way. I have to say this seems to be one of the friendliest forums I have read. Made me want to post.

Notwithstanding my run in with Stan lookalike, for me it's all about the cycling. I love my ride to work rain or shine, warm or cold. Then can't wait to get on my bike at the weekend.

Thanks again

:D
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    "Self defence"? HAHA! Love it. Because everyone knows if you are in a car against someone on a bike, the safest thing to do is get out and get face to face.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Welcome. I hazard a guess that the prosecution of this thug and the success of the case was down to your witness. The thug's defence solicitor would have told him to plead NG as the witless might not turn up as many don't. But obviously your maid Marion came through for you. Result. Scary stuff. What was his penalty and fine btw? Were there any threats of reprisal and if so did the court make it clear that he was not in any way to repeat this behaviour toward you or any other cyclist or approach you?

Are you now going to sue him for assault or did the court make him pay you some measely amount?

Get yourself a helmet cam.

Safe cycling.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Welcome to the Forum Jetsstar, prepare to see away your life on here! :-)

Support Flasheart's comments - one of the best ways to improve safety on the roads IMHO would be to get as many people cycling if only as 'weekenders' so that they can see it through the perspective of us cyclists. Won't help them all though, as I'm sure many of us have had the 'but I cycle too' comment when remonstrating with a motorist.