Cleats degree?

Piersy Boy
Piersy Boy Posts: 60
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Could you bike boffins please explain to me what it means when the description of cleats give a degree.

E.g. - Black - 0 degree
Grey - 4.5 degree
Red - 9 degree

I have Look Keo Classic black pedals with grey cleats.

I need to buy some more cleats as they are wearing down to the point where they may not clip in any more.

Thanks

Piersy Boy

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    This is the amount of 'float' they give. That is the 0 degree ones do not allow any sideways movement of your foot. The others allow the foot to move by the number of degrees stated. Most use cleats with some float as it is supposed to be better for the knees. I think it just means you do not have to set them up so well as my feet never move once clipped in. I would just get the same again if you have no problem with them.
  • Cool thanks that makes sense,

Now is it standard across the whole range of Keo cleats that black are 0 degree, grey are 4.5 degree and red are 9 degree?

Because trying to find grey cleats is proving tricky. Red ones keep popping up so am I right to presume that all red cleats are 9 degrees of float?

Thanks again
    Piersy Boy
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Yes.
  • yep red are 9 and black are 0.

I use black ones, couldn't get used to the reds at all, didn't feel like my foot was clipped in secure enough. i mean, it was, but i didn't get the sturdy and secure feeling i do with the blacks.

I'd be interested in trying some grey ones but couldn't fins any when i briefly looked a while back.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I'm on my second set of grey cleats. I tried my mates red ones but they moved just a tad too much for my liking. As I have a dodgy left kneee (in a knee brace as I type this) I thought I had better have some degree of float.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Flasheart wrote:
    I'm on my second set of grey cleats. I tried my mates red ones but they moved just a tad too much for my liking. As I have a dodgy left kneee (in a knee brace as I type this) I thought I had better have some degree of float.

where did you get your grey cleats?

admittedly i haven't looked very hard!
  • Cleats Degree?

You need a degree to wear them?!!!!!!!

That explains why i keep falling over then, i only got A levels and a diploma. :D
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford