Winter commuting -- durable headset?

Pikolo
Pikolo Posts: 9
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Hello

I am building up a winter bike for commuting in Ottawa, Canada. That means lots of snow, salt, ice, water, and corrosion. Most components do not last more than one or two winter seasons.

My question is, which headset is well suited for these conditions? There are expensive HS's on the market with excellent seals (cane creek 110, chris king, etc); they are designed to be a durable investment, but I'm not sure they will hold up to salt and extreme temperature fluctuations well enough to warrant the price. On the other hand, I don't want to replace a cheap HS every season. Is there a good compromise? What will hold up for at least a few years but will not break the bank?

Thanks,
Pete

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH any headset will last as long as you want with some servicing.

so a few optins.

a open ball headset and service. and replace the whole headset when worn.

A cartridge bearing headset (can be service lubed with care) and just swap out the cartridges when worn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have gone through two open ball headsets over the past two winters despite servicing. That involved wiping off builtup snow, ice and meltwater after every ride, and repacking the bearings with Phil Wood Waterproof grease at least 2-3 over the course of one winter.

So now I'm looking at a sealed/cartridge HS. Something with stainless bearings, like the Cane Creek S-8. Any other suggestions?
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    I saw somewhere about wrapping a "ring" of old innertube around the bottom and top crown on the headset to stop water etc getting into it, know a few companies also make headset "protectors" could be worth thinking about
  • Lizard skins do a cover to help keep crap out. I just put plenty if grease in, and regrease again when needed - only a 10 minute job.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • hmmmm, could you go for a ride and see if the bearings are still pre-loaded after 2hrs.

If it is really cold then the contraction of the metals could result in the headset effectively being loose hence you knackering them. You could try loose ceramic bearings?